THE NEW GUY

Started by MADMAXX6, August 17, 2013, 03:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MADMAXX6

OK.. This is the first two way rdaio I have owned in 30 years so here goes. Hello all. I have just purchased a RCI 2950 and a Kenwood TH-G71A. I need the best antenna and linear amp that work for all applicable bands on my RCI radio for the following purposes :
1) I am a pepper
2) In an emergency I would like to be able to communicant long distances (emergency = legally or not).
3) I want reliable long lasting equipment.
4) I would like something, once properly mounted and wired in my 97 CK1500 pick-up that will be easily removed ( say 10-20 minutes) in case it had to be used else ware.
All that being said I've also heard that having a reputable radio shop ( R&R in Delaware was suggested as a good one close by) tune and calibrate the unit would help with transmission & reception quality. I am reading 2 books and intend on getting into HAM radio legally. I have looked at an spoke with Fat boy amps and was looking at a Wilson 5000. I look forward to an good advice. Thank you.

gil

With 25W out of that RCI 2950 you really don't need an amp...

Gil.

KK0G

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you bought the wrong radio if your goal is to have reliable long distance communications. 10 meters is definitely capable of world wide communications even on flea power but as with all bands it's completely dependent on propagation for which 10 meters is certainly known as being very intermittent, especially now during one of the worst solar cycles in recent history. 80/40/20 meters would be a far better choice.

I'd forget the amplifier also, as Gil said with 25 watts you don't really need an amp anyway. Secondly to put it bluntly; it's a highly inefficient, junk CB amp that will splatter harmonics far beyond the target frequency and provide you with a dirty distorted signal. On top of all that how exactly do you plan on supplying the MANY electrons that an extremely power hungry amp will consume during a true emergency?

There's no way I would let a CB shop apply the 'Golden Screwdriver' treatment to any rig I owned. Any shop that said tuning and calibrating the unit will help with transmission & reception quality is not a reputable shop in my opinion.

Keep studying for your license, take the test, upgrade to at least general class (you can do it, I have faith in you ;) ) and start out with a 2 meter FM mobile rig and a multiband HF rig, both of which can be bought pretty cheaply if used, then start using the equipment you have and really learn what it takes to communicate reliably. Follow that advice and you'll be miles ahead of the current path you're on.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

QuoteI hate to be the bearer of bad news but you bought the wrong radio if your goal is to have reliable long distance communications.

Thanks Chris, I forgot about that! Indeed, 10m isn't open that often. Even a little radio like the MFJ-9420X or MFJ-9440X would be much more reliable as far as making contacts is concerned, and for less than $300. Again, no need for an amp there. Personally I would favor 40m.
For CB, I have a Galaxy SSB radio which is legal and quite enough to listen to local chatter. For long distance, 40 and 20m. I use CW, but that's another story... No microphone for me  ;)
I once jumped the pond with a CB radio, but that was once, ever, quite accidentally.

The Ham license, even General, is sooooooo easy, and only $14 for ten years! I passed Tech, General and Extra in one session, and I am no Einstein... Go for it!

Gil.

MADMAXX6

Thanks gentlemen. I'll get started on the HAM license and buy a Wilson 5000 to play with for now. Once I have a better working knowledge I'll look into upgrading. KKOG I've got to say that was the most polite way to tell someone to stop spend hard earned money on S#*! until ya know what your doing. Gil thank you also. I love the site and will be checking in as often as possible.

KK0G

Quote from: MADMAXX6 on August 18, 2013, 09:29:28 PM
Thanks gentlemen. I'll get started on the HAM license and buy a Wilson 5000 to play with for now. Once I have a better working knowledge I'll look into upgrading. KKOG I've got to say that was the most polite way to tell someone to stop spend hard earned money on S#*! until ya know what your doing. Gil thank you also. I love the site and will be checking in as often as possible.

It's a fine balance between being a nice guy and telling it like it is.......... but I try 8)

There's an old saying; "Sometimes you don't know enough to know what you don't know" or said another way "The more you learn the more questions you have." All of us were at that stage at one point. Keep studying and if you need help understanding something don't hesitate to ask, it's a great group of guys here and we'd be more than happy to help you out. 73 de KK0G
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Geek

The licensing is pretty easy.  I did it earlier this year, so how hard can it be?  :-)

While my interest, like yours, is in being able to communicate in an emergency, you need to test what works ahead of time, so you'll want to get licensed and spend some time testing that communicating with person X, on a certain frequency, at a certain time of day, with particular equipment is generally successful.

When you find things don't work as hoped in advance, you can address the issue in a non-emergency fashion.

RichardSinFWTX

Isn't it Patton that said, "...the more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in war."?  Get involved with your county RACES/ARES group.  After working some public service events you'll get a better idea of where you're lacking.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

gil

QuoteGet involved with your county RACES/ARES group.  After working some public service events you'll get a better idea of where you're lacking.

That might be a good way to start in Ham radio and meet other Hams, but IMHO the equipment and procedures these guys use, though being good for helping relief agencies, are not good for the lonely prepper who wants to help himself, his family and friends..

Gil.

RichardSinFWTX

Quote from: gil on August 30, 2013, 11:58:34 AM
That might be a good way to start in Ham radio and meet other Hams, but IMHO the equipment and procedures these guys use, though being good for helping relief agencies, are not good for the lonely prepper who wants to help himself, his family and friends..

Gil.

True, but I'm not talking about bringing the club in and showing them all your supplies and weapons.  Cherry-pick the information, skills and resources you need/want and leave the rest.  Besides, you can make some valuable contacts that may actually help when things go sideways.

gil

Sure, I didn't even think about operational security, I was just pointing out that helping relief, government agencies VS. yourself, family and friends requires different equipment.. Emcom is moving towards digital modes and uses high current-draw equipment, heavy batteries and generetors; something a prepper would have much trouble moving if need be...

Gil.

RichardSinFWTX

The RACES/ARES group that I work with here in DFW uses regular 2m / 70cm repeaters and freqs.  MARS on the other hand uses outside bands that require your radio to be modified.  There are quite a few RMS VHF gateways out there too.  I've got like 10 within 50 miles of my house. 

The big honking batteries and generators are only needed if you're doing 24 hour a day radio ops.  I think once things go SHTF and stay that way, the 24 hour a day ops people will fall by the wayside or adapt to a more realistic OpTempo like checking in at the top/bottom of each hour or according to some pre-determined schedule.  Solar panel(s) can also greatly help extend your operating time; but you guys are already way ahead of me on this.  I'm not breaking any new ground here.