Digital Voice, Why?

Started by gil, June 14, 2016, 08:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

The Wouxun KG-D901... Not on Ebay yet...

Gil.

K7JLJ

Yeap, coming soon. Video looks good so far, which they were all easier to program and without software though.

- Jim
-Jim

km4mcm

It's my understanding there software you can flash on the 380 that turns into a super scanner of sorts. It makes it where you can monitor traffic in any group on you band, even radio to radio private traffic. I haven't used it personally but know all law enforcement and public safety going digital, it would make for some I scanning.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

km4mcm

Also, the fusion repeaters having setting no where digital and analog can communicate to each other. The fusion repeaters will automatically retransmit digital as analog if analog was the last transmitted source. If the analog user hears static like noise when digital is Transmitted.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Andywragg

Hi folks

I just got my MD-380 so apologies for the thread necromancy.

One thing that hasn't been raised yet is that of DMR hot spots. So, what's a hot spot?  Essentially its a small DMR transceiver that relays via the internet. Typically you can use either a PC or more widely used over here, a Raspberry Pi or ATMega device to interface the radio to the 'Net'.

Hot Spots have a limited range, having only 10 mW output power but this should be enough to run a couple of radios over a small area. We have one in the club house so folks can make calls if they wish.

One of the guys uses his mobile phone with his hot spot (via wifi) so he can take the digital network with him wherever he goes. Powered off a USB power bank recharged via a solar panel.
Once a 'STAB in the Dark'
M6UAW

gil

Hot spots can be useful but we are leaving the domain of the radio into the Internet. As to using a hot spot in a car, one might as well use Echolink, or Skype! My only use of DMR for prepping is for increased privacy. Some radios even have encryption. Other than that, good'ol FM works as well. My next handheld might be the Ailunce, dual band DMR...

Gil.