New member, saying hi

Started by wildsky, April 02, 2013, 06:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildsky

Hey everyone,

What a great forum! I've just spent the past 2 days reading through all the history here. Ham and prepping goes together like chocolate and peanut butter!

Gil, please PM me your Paypal address, and I'll contribute to the coffers. We could also discuss various hosting options too, if you like. I've been doing web work forever and run a lot of sites.

I'm a Seattle-based web developer/writer/film director. Just got my General license, and am knee-deep in researching what should be my first rig. The short list currently consists of:

Yaesu FT-897D - I love the idea of internal batteries and tuner, so I can grab and go with less fuss.

Icom IC-7200 - More modern rig, great screen, portable. But uses more power.

Elecraft KX3 - One of my instructors brought this to class. The whole concept of SDR is appealing, plus it's such a compact package. I don't know if I'll ever do CW, but it's possible.

Yaesu FT-450D - The engineering seems exceptional.

Yaesu FT-950 - The optional data management unit makes my inner geek happy. But it's the least portable of the bunch.

From a prepping standpoint, my issues are:

1) If I'm at work downtown, I need good communication with home (15 miles).
2) If we bug-in, I want great NVIS ability and good DX capability.
3) If we bug-out, I want a rig that can go in the car fairly easily. I'm assembling several go bags, so I'd like to add the rig into the mix without a lot of hassle.

With 3 adults and 2 kids, logistics matter! :)

Glad to be here!

Chris

gil

Hello Chris and welcome aboard. Thanks for the offer. Enjoy the board a bit and then you can send a small donation... The hosting will stay where it is, for a number of reasons. I do have my own server as well, which runs FreeBSD. I do server setups, PHP and MySQL, everything on Unix. I wouldn't touch Window$ with a ten foot pole, too unreliable. So, all set on that front. Radiopreppers is hosted in Iceland, being an international site, not only for the U.S. FB on the KX3, I have one too  :)

Gil.

Joe

Hello Chris

Welcome to the party. Everyone is great on hear. It's nice to have a place where we can bounce ideas off each other and get good feed back.

I have narrowed my list down to the Yaesu 897 or a KX3.

2MT350

Wavin wildsky, welcome to the radiopreppers forum :)

gil

QuoteI have narrowed my list down to the Yaesu 897 or a KX3.

I have the KX3. I don't think you can find a better radio! Especially if you want it portable, low current drain. In a SHTF situation, you'll appreciate not having to carry heavy batteries and having the small one you'll be using last a long time..

If you don't do or never plan to get into CW, then the choice is harder, though I'd still go with the KX3.
If you do CW, then there is simply no contest at all.

Gil.

wildsky

Thanks, all!

I was thinking of making a pilgrimage down to Portland for Ham Radio Outlet, and making a final rig decision there. Anyone bought from them before?

wildsky

Gil, we have similar tech backgrounds. PHP, Mysql, etc. I started on the old Timex Sinclair, then later got into Perl. Doing more writing and directing lately though. Need a bit of a break from coding.

wildsky

Joe, I agree, those are both great sounding rigs. It's a tough but fun task to research them all.

WA4STO

Quote from: wildsky on April 03, 2013, 05:35:37 PM
Gil, we have similar tech backgrounds. PHP, Mysql, etc.

Me too.  My last LAMP stack foray was at the Governor's office in Des Moines IA.

Been out on disability retirement now since 2008.

Luck Hurder, WA4STO

gil

QuoteI started on the old Timex Sinclair,

Ha! I started on the Sinclair ZX81...

Gil.

cockpitbob

I'm lucky enough to have a Ham Radio Outlet 30min away in Salem, New Hampshire.  Good place.  Can't complain about it, and it's nice to see the rigs operating right in front of you.

madball13

Quote from: cockpitbob on April 03, 2013, 06:59:07 PM
I'm lucky enough to have a Ham Radio Outlet 30min away in Salem, New Hampshire.  Good place.  Can't complain about it, and it's nice to see the rigs operating right in front of you.

It's only ten minutes from work, I've spent a few lunches there.

I have an 857 and its a great radio. The KX3 looks like a sweet ride. Remember there are pluses and minuses to to every rig but there is a rig out there that will fit your needs. Just be honest with yourself and pay once to get the right radio.

breslau

Quote from: gil on April 03, 2013, 06:17:46 PM
QuoteI started on the old Timex Sinclair,

Ha! I started on the Sinclair ZX81...

Yup... built mine from a kit, still have it along with the 16K!!! ram module and thermal printer

wildsky

Quote from: breslau on April 04, 2013, 09:03:32 PM
Yup... built mine from a kit, still have it along with the 16K!!! ram module and thermal printer

:) Me too. My Dad mounted it on a plaque that says, "Chris's first computer"

gil

QuoteYup... built mine from a kit, still have it along with the 16K!!! ram module and thermal printer
QuoteMe too. My Dad mounted it on a plaque that says, "Chris's first computer"

LOL, I wish I still had mine. No idea what happened to it.. I probably sold it to buy the Dragon 32 I bought after that..: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_32/64

Gil.