Baofeng

Started by pavelow, April 20, 2013, 12:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pavelow

I have a Baofeng UV-5R plus and have been reading up on what this thing can do.  I have also been reading about using the 5R on the GMRS range. I'm still a little confused and was wondering if someone on here could clear some things up.

Can this handset be used for an example at a camp site between campers as a regular walkie talkie without violating any FCC rules?

Does running on the GMRS range requires a license?

2MT350

yea, using gmrs does require a license to use.

pavelow

Thought so. So overall this set can't be used without proper licensing?

Geek

You can listen to anything, but transmitting requires licensing, depending on the frequency.  CB frequencies do not require a license.  I'm not sure if those are available on the Baofeng, but they are on a lot of other radios.  Typical usage is with a license.  The technician license is so easy to get, there is no reason not to do it.

Quietguy

The UV-5R can be programmed to transmit and receive on a wide range of frequencies, but there are some gotchas in there.  It is not legal to use it on FRS frequencies because it does not meet FRS system requirements.  FCC rules say GMRS radios are supposed to be Type Accepted under Part 95 of their rules, but the UV-5R is Type Accepted under Part 90 rules, so it is not in compliance.  Also, a GMRS license is currently required to use GMRS frequencies.

All of the Part 90 frequencies require a license to operate on any given frequency, so you can't use it under Part 90 unless you have the license holders permission to operate there.  An example would be a volunteer fire fighter could use it on his department's public safety frequency if the department authorized him to do so.

The biggest use of UV-5R is for ham radio - it is legal to use it on either the 2 meter or 70cm (440 MHz) bands with a Technician class ham license.  Many hams have bought them for backup or kick-around radios because of their low cost.

It's a cool little radio, but it is easy to get out of compliance with regulations when using it.  Some people don't worry about that, but others do.  Caution when programming it is advised...

Wally

White Tiger

Quote from: pavelow on April 20, 2013, 02:04:04 PM

Not many frequencies/channels on your GMRS - so in time of trouble many will be using whatever means of communication are available - THOUSANDS will be using...what...6, 28, 100...channels on GMRS?

Don't get me wrong, any means of communications might be helpful - but in time of trouble - if you think it would be important to contact loved ones on far off states, or if you want to be able to call for help from locals - you better be a ham.

I got a mentor (an elmer) who loved all the questions I peppered him with - I asked questions about what type of radio, range, - he asked questions about who, what, where...I wanted to talk to.

I started studying the free online practice tests (...well, ok, I started taking the tests - repeatedly - until I could score at least 80% consistently). I went down, paid my $14.00, took all three tests - and came away with a General license!

I started in August/September - took the test in October.

And with this I can talk to anyone, anywhere, on "bazillians" of frequencies...
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

Frosty

Just rec'd my UV-5R+ earlier in the week.  Programming was a snap with the Chirp software.  Imported the channels from a Puxing (vhf only), copy/pasted the freqs from Chirp's stock configs for GMRS/FRS, added a few more local UHF ones, and uploaded to the Baofeng.  About 20 mins total, doesn't get much easier than that.  It's about 80% the size of the Puxing-777 (and about 1/2 the price) that we're using as HTs now.   Haven't done much testing with it yet, but I suspect I won't be buying any more Puxings. 

Quote from: pavelow on April 20, 2013, 02:04:04 PM

Except for the marine VHF freqs, on the water of course, I don't think it's usable without a license on any frequency.  Quietguy already covered the FRS, and the only other license-free service in its range would be MURS - but even at the 1w low power setting and using narrow band, it's still not technically legal.   

pavelow

Quote from: Frosty on April 21, 2013, 09:01:09 AM
Just rec'd my UV-5R+ earlier in the week.  Programming was a snap with the Chirp software.

I'll have to check the software I'm using. I don't think its Chrip.

Geek

I've passed on the Baofeng so far because I have not seen a battery pack to operate it off AA batteries.  Does a AA option exist?  If so, I'd be buying these by the six-pack.

Quietguy

There is, but it isn't cheap.  $17.50 with free shipping from Hong Kong at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-BAOFENG-BATTERY-CASE-FOR-6x-SIZE-AA-BATTERY-21-71-FOR-BAOFENG-WACCOM-UV5R-/150992953704?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Device_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item2327e1a168
It accepts 6 AA 1.2v rechargeable but 1.5v  Alkaline requires a dummy battery (included) and 5 batteries.

Also note it is for the UV-5R and won't work with the UV-5RA because of the different case shape - the 5RA is more rounded.  It also adds length to the overall package, like the extra capacity cases.

I haven't used one and I don't think I have bought anything from this vendor.

Wally

Geek

If I were to buy several Baofengs I'd want these as well.  I haven't seen them before.  Thanks.

White Tiger

Pretty cool - I bought the extended battery - Im going to grab a few of these too! Bet these would work well as a companion to the Goal Zero solar battery charging system!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

CroPrepper

Considering the topic title is Baofeng i'll post my issue in here.
I got an UV5R and an BF F8HP (from baofengtech.com). I noticed that the F8 is scanning much slower through the saved channels than the UV5R. The UV5R is in general much faster in scanning. I don't understand why? Apparently the F8 has a new generation of hardware, did they screw up?
All in All the UV5R seems built in much better quality than the F8 that costs 3x the price of the UV5R

Jon_Garfio

I have UV5RA and UV3R+, both work Great.

Only the uv5r has a issue, It works with a negative gain antenna, and if you fit a better antenna the receiver saturate It and no Rx.

There is a post about it in a Spanish's has forum. The receiver was built to work with negative gain antennas.

However the new UV3R+ has not this problema, It works very fine with Retevis, Nagoyas and also log periodic antenna.

Note, the uv5r has as a option a USB cable to Charge throught solar pannel, the uv3r+ comes his cradle  with USB.

Anyway, 25€ for this kind of rigs id a crazy dream.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 4 mediante Tapatalk
Sapere aude

CroPrepper

Baofeng released amps for HTs

https://baofengtech.com/amp-v25

Via TapaTalk