TEOTWAWKI Radio - Your Expectations?

Started by RadioRay, December 10, 2012, 02:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Getting a Ham license is certainly a must. $15 for ten years, one would be unwise not to get it. The tech exam is EXTREMELY EASY. It gives you CW on 40 and 80m as well! $15 license + $60 radio + $50 paddles, and you're on the air transcontinental for $125! CB is great, and also something I have, but the band isn't open that often. A 2m handheld beats an FRS radio any day.

About Morse code... Imagine the SHTF, and you're on your HF radio trying to find anyone. You can't hear anybody because the band isn't quite open or few hams are still operating (EMP), but you hear a faint CW signal, quite readable. You have no idea what the guy is saying... Head-banging frustration... It would probably be me on the other end  :o

If I owned land and a house, I would also look into field telephones.. Wired from the house to the perimeter.. No point broadcasting when you don't have to.

The main thing a radio operator must learn, Ham or CB, is about antennas, radiation patterns, band characteristics and SWR. Not that much, but indeed, when TSHTF, if you haven't thought about it, you're toast. There won't be any Internet for you to Google it.

By the way, I am selling my Elecraft K2 to buy a KX3.. It is more portable, 160 to 6m, and includes a PSK31/RTTY coder/decoder. You send with the Morse paddle! There is a 2m module in the works too.

Have a great day,

Gil.

Frosty

Our plan is locally focused, never saw much need to expand it given our circumstances.  We're using most pieces of our TEOTWAWKI radio plan on a daily basis already.  We monitor MURS motion sensors at the driveway/gate, guest house, and in the outbuildings, all from our shack in the kitchen, 24X7. No surprise visitors allowed, now or later. We get false alarms sometimes, and if they're from a sensor inside a building we respond with firearms.  Thankfully nothing but false alarms so far, but we're getting some practice responding anyway.

Our scanner ("close call" capability achieved by removing the duck, what are you scanning with ttabs?) sometimes gets turned on during holiday weekends or during severe weather, for practice listening.  Each vehicle has a HT, left on constantly.  The primary BOV has a mobile, and HT as a backup.  Another HT hangs in the garage, charging, to take when leaving on foot or other.  Another HT in the BOB, with a solar charger.  A laminated index card with each radio has our comm plan - What channel, what time, and some simple codes.  The PTT buttons on all of them are usually dusty, except for an occasional "don't forget to pick up milk" or "when will you be home?" message that's about the only time we key up.  And we have never, ever, kerchunked repeaters for testing range if needed in an emergency.

For our mostly part-time neighbors we have a few FRS radios to pass out.  Beyond that, a CB (4w, swear to dog) with a whip at 25' and a couple shortwave radios is about it.

We're very rural if that wasn't obvious.  We basically run a BOL Hotel for family and friends (none of which are hams), assuming they ever made it here.  Either way, our goal is to secure our area and wait it out if the SHTF.  Besides am/fm/sw to lighten the mood or get some news reports, long distance for us is two counties over.  Guess I like being clandestine for now.   I can always announce myself if need be, but once done it's near impossible to undo so I'll wait until I have no other choice.  YMMV, of course.

KC9TNH

Quote from: Frosty on December 12, 2012, 07:56:11 PMA laminated index card with each radio has our comm plan - What channel, what time, and some simple codes.
Word.

White Tiger

Quote from: KC9TNH on December 12, 2012, 08:32:45 PM
Quote from: Frosty on December 12, 2012, 07:56:11 PMA laminated index card with each radio has our comm plan - What channel, what time, and some simple codes.
Word.

Can you post a copy of what one of your radio comm cards looks like?
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

KC9TNH

Quote from: White Tiger on December 12, 2012, 11:32:03 PM

Did you mean a sample format or description, using completely bogus values?(I wouldn't put a working CEOI on the internet either.)

White Tiger

Quote from: KC9TNH on December 13, 2012, 07:47:28 PM
Quote from: White Tiger on December 12, 2012, 11:32:03 PM

Did you mean a sample format or description, using completely bogus values?(I wouldn't put a working CEOI on the internet either.)

Absolutely, I wouldn't ask you to compromise your OPSEC!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

Frosty

Ain't much, or anything fancy.   I took about 30 pics of the thing with my cheap POS cam and can't get the text very clear, maybe that's a good thing tho. 

KC9TNH

Quote from: Frosty on December 14, 2012, 08:59:51 AM
Ain't much, or anything fancy.   I took about 30 pics of the thing with my cheap POS cam and can't get the text very clear, maybe that's a good thing tho.
Nice - thanks for the pic = 1K words.

White Tiger, I can't answer for Frosty, but the concept which he's taken to implementation I see as this:

When 'x' occurs and the rules change (forever or some short duration) gear - especially on-the-shelf stuff - needs to have clear procedures bundled with it for the human operator.  This is what keeps everyone on the same page. The reasons for periodic/scheduled frequency changes on a given system can be multiple.  Especially in the case of HF, certain bands just have more likelihood of encountering good propagation.  It could be also that a freq at one time is free and hugely busy otherwise some other time. For other comms, FRS, local VHF, whatever, it may simply be the case of bouncing around for security purposes.

Brevity codes can use a word or two to implement or advise everyone on some pre-determined AND UNDERSTOOD thing or definition that triggers some action (collapse back to a location, a roadblock in place, go get lunch & return to your day-job...).  They also simply keep stuff off the air you don't want on. This is something that needs to be highly personalized, and as simple as possible. It also needs to be well thought out; might not be a 1 cup of coffee effort because there are potentially alot of moving pieces if done right - and if you're not doin' it right specific to your needs, why do it?  But simple is better, small & durable even mo' better - in some cases you're handing a radio to someone with little if any skills, and the simplest set of operating parameters you can to help insure their success (and yours).

It's your blank sheet of paper (or laminated 3x5 card) - your requirement to develop. This is part of the non-hardware stuff between the ears. The mental exercise may also illuminate other things that will need your attention.
8)

ttabs

Frosty - I'm also using the MURS motion sensors radios and have been 'testing' them for about two years.  Remarkably they run for about 6 mos on 6 AA bats.  I have two in use (and 10 stored as backups).  Of the two, I've had to twice send them in for repairs - actually they just replace the innards. 

My opinion - they work well but you'll need plenty of back-ups for a long term deployment.  I'm going to start using Eneloop rechargeable AA bats next to evaluate their ability to run the sensors.   

Also I use two of the MURS base units that are kept on 24/7 with no issues.  They work great and we use them as an intercom between two buildings.   

I purchased the PX-777 radios and programed them to the MURS sensor freqs.  Now a LP/OP or patrol will be notified if a sensor trips. Just purchased the new PX-888's and really like their added capability thus far.  My opinion - the MURS Sensors are a big force multiplier!   They can be programed to send a verbal alert in one of 4 'zones' through IR sensing.  You can put multiple sensors in a single 'zone' so if someone (or something) passes through, you'll know about it. 

I do not own any of the probe sensors at this time but am considering getting a few as well.  Reports are they work well too. 

You can check out the MURS Alert Transmitters at murs-radio.com and click on the security tab on top.

As for Scanners, I'm using the Uniden BCD996XT.  Haven't had time to figure that thing out yet but the 'Close Call' feature works really well.  I'm also evaluating their 'Nascar Scanner' as a portable scanner may have an important role to play.  It too has the 'Close Call' feature.

For those interested - the 'Close Call' feature when selected will interrupt the scanning cycle and play nearby signals that are emitted (including cordless telephones) 

BTW - the instruction manuals for these things are very very poorly written and confusing.  The company also has in my opinion poor resources and customer service.  There are websites and forums to help you muddle through the complexities. 

Frosty

Exactly KC9TNH.  Our plan here isn't intended for a real, honest-to-God, SHTF, "the Mayans were right!" type situation either.  I've tried writing something out for that, but it needs a lot of work and keeps getting too complicated.  This one is just for routine stuff, since cell reception is spotty around here.  The two blacked out code words at the top ("no problem" / "problem") work well when reception is poor, since it conveys a lot with a single word that wont be mistaken.  Hence the "say often", if you can read that part in the pic.    We have a duress word too that isn't listed on the card.

Our group is small, there's no confusion as to who we're talking to, so we set callsigns for the station instead of the caller.  I'm X at home, and Y on the road.  We'll add a numeral to the callsign to designate another bit of information sometimes.  I like this since it conveys additional info just based on the callsign the person uses.

The "location" codes are rarely used to be honest, and we stay on a home channel all the time now.  The "this channel at this time" info is only in an emergency where we couldn't make contact, got stranded in a snowstorm, near dead battery, stuff like that. 

RadioRay

and Frosty . . .

What you are doing today, you are more than likely able to do tomorrow.  However, what we cannot do today, have little or no chance of 'magically' being able to use tomorrow - post TSHTF.

Well done.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Comments keyed to Frosty's fine responses.
Quote from: Frosty on December 14, 2012, 01:57:16 PM
Our plan here isn't intended for a real, honest-to-God, SHTF, "the Mayans were right!" type situation either.  .......
No problem here; RadioRay is gonna work the N0D special event station and try to get a Worked All Survivors certificate. Daughter is inbound for holidays from Ft Gordon, so if plane doesn't make it I'll realize I'd better get a mind-meld with Ray.
    We have a duress word too that isn't listed on the card.
I was gonna mention that too but figured "small chunks" better; even the original Wolverines weren't clued in to that but it's a good thing to establish, and should be something known to all but easily used in transmission by the person being coerced.

Our group is small, there's no confusion as to who we're talking to, so we set callsigns for the station instead of the caller.  I'm X at home, and Y on the road.  We'll add a numeral to the callsign to designate another bit of information sometimes.  I like this since it conveys additional info just based on the callsign the person uses.
Also a good idea, works same as in the military where such concepts have worked for a long time. I like the way you're not making the callsigns any longer than needed; not like you're running a line platoon battle drill. Simple = repeatable = good = (maybe) you're ahead of the others' decision loop. Good stuff.

Frosty

Eerily similar ttabs....      Tell Rob at murs-radio.com I said hi...  4 MATs deployed and 3 in storage here.   Bought some PX-777's from him too, haven't tried the 888's - thinking of trying the Baofengs.  The px-777's aren't bad, but the batts /charger are terrible imo.  Fry the batts if left charging too long.  Even the car adapter is problematic, have to pull the batt to install it, and I had to put cable ties on both radios to snug up the power connection so they work reliably.   I bought one of the 5-channel MURS type accepted radios too, it's a diehard, and no problem leaving it charging all the time.  Great for handing out to the kids since they can't get in any trouble with it.  Uses rechargable AA batts too. 

Uniden fan here as well, Sportcat is all at this time but in the market for a trunktracker. 

Nice you meet you, but stay out of my paranoid psychosis in the future.    ;D

KC9TNH

This has been a very good thread so far. We have a pretty good mix of equip, bands & modes, and roles. Even some insight into off-the-shelf stuff to hand to the uninitiated (including simple procedural instructions), we even have perimeter defense and a no-kidding 4w CB.

These things (not all inclusive) are part of a large ala carte menu to meet various needs, as varied as those who use them. I'll have to ruminate on some of this & synthesize, but this thread was/is a good idea.
-----------------------------------
Specific question for Frosty/ttabs: Not knowing where you live, do you have any info on how your MURS sensors perform when subjected to some seriously cold ambient temps? Thanks.

Nap time, but ciity part of Christmas shopping done and escaped ok. (There are some dangerous, frenetic no-drivin' mothers out there - wow.)

EDIT:  Oh, yeah. As we come up on 2359Z 15 December 2012, not that it means much to those who continue to work so hard to eviscerate them, today is Bill of Rights Day - 15 December 1791.  And a long way from local township "Committees of Safety" of 1774...
hat tip to some folks who took a helluva a chance.

Frosty

Quote from: KC9TNH on December 15, 2012, 04:27:32 PM
Specific question for Frosty/ttabs: Not knowing where you live, do you have any info on how your MURS sensors perform when subjected to some seriously cold ambient temps?

Canada border state that begins with a M here.  The ones I have inside buildings have never failed, even down to minus degrees F.  The outdoor ones are more impacted by humidity/dampness than by temperature in my experience.  After a rain or in fog there aren't 100%.  If they fail, its about a 50/50 chance they might send a broken message or a series of clicks, or nothing at all.  Usually that one failure dries it up enough that it will work on subsequent alarms.   Hope that made sense... As an example, after a decent rain it might not work properly as I walk past it the first time, but walk past it again 5 minutes later and it does.   Of three I've used outside, all act this way.  I found that cleaning the battery contacts with a piece of sandpaper on every battery change helps avoid it.