Need antenna suggestions

Started by Rescue9, June 26, 2016, 11:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rescue9

I need a new setup... I just don't know what it is right now.

I currently have a ~285ft delta loop. It is suspended approximately 50 ft high with the lower corners being approximately 15 ft off the ground. The feed point is in the middle attached to a 4:1 balun. I believe it's fed with RG58, but I'm at work and can't check for sure. I use a MFJ-971 200W "qrp" tuner at this time. My problem is significant noise. Unless the signal is loud and strong, I get about s7 - s9 on the noise floor.

I'd rather have only one antenna, but based upon what I'm wanting to accomplish I understand that may not be the best route. This is what I'd like to accomplish; NVIS on 80 & possibly 40, DX capabilities when the bands are nice, I wouldn't mind having something mounted in the attic, but the attic's height is only about 12-15 ft, 200w max is all I really need at this time.

I'm open to all suggestions, so feel free to suggest anything.

gil

That's a good antenna you have there.. Have you looked for possible sources for the noise?

Gil.

Rescue9

Honestly, no. This is all still fairly new to me. I usually use an endfed with portable battery power so I don't have these issues. I'll look online and find some resources on checking for noise and proper grounding.

gil

I've had the same issue before and have it to some extent now.. Try unplugging everything in your house, especially "wall warts." See if the noise is still there.. If so, shut the power off.. Noise still there? Then it's outside your house. Otherwise, plug everything back in one plug at a time... You might be surprised what you find..

Gil.