gil

I just got home, sorry guys. 22:00 EST?

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on May 01, 2013, 09:19:03 PM
I just got home, sorry guys. 22:00 EST?

Gil.

7.0675?
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

KK0G

Sorry Gil, if you were in there I never heard a single dit. At 0205 I did send my call about about 6 or 7 times at 100 watts in hopes you might at least hear me.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Let's try again now...

KK0G

KK0G

gil

gil

I heard you, weak but readable. You were 159, just above noise level. The band isn't doing too well tonight. Maybe another time..

Gil.

KK0G

I barely copied part of my call but other than that I had no copy Gil, I have about an S5-S7 noise floor and you're just below it.

KK0G

gil

Yep, I have S5 noise here. Thunderstorms all around today... Thanks for trying  :)
I'm going to park myself on 7030 for a while, see if I hear anyone...
I was using 12W.

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on May 01, 2013, 10:25:13 PM
Yep, I have S5 noise here. Thunderstorms all around today... Thanks for trying  :)
I'm going to park myself on 7030 for a while, see if I hear anyone...
I was using 12W.

Gil.

Well we gave it our best shot but if the propagation's not there it's just not there, thank you as well. I'm in the shack most evenings so just post in this thread whenever you want try again.

KK0G

cockpitbob

Quote from: KK0G on May 01, 2013, 09:15:48 PM
Thanks for hanging in there Bob. I hated having to fire up TS-2000 with it's power sucking 100 watts but unfortunately it just wasn't gonna happen with QRP. My multiple mistakes were from quickly throwing a different keyer in line once I gave up on the KX1, it kept trying to add extra dahs where I didn't want them, sorry bout that.
Let's do it again soon, hopefully QRP next time. In the meantime I'm still in the shack if anyone wants to try another one this evening.
Chris,
When you were using the KX1 I could occasionally hear the faintest tones in my S7 noise.  Not copyable, but I could tell someone was sending and figured that was you.  Thanks for wimping out and firing up the big gun!  Don't appologize for the keying mistakes.  At least you had a reason.  My situation (problem) is that I've spent all my time learning to copy and very little time getting on the air.  My shack is in the basement and it was just wasn't a fun place to be this winter, but it's warmed up now.  Thanks for putting up with my inexperienced fist, and yes, let's do that again!

I've got a few road trips planned for the summer, so after I signed off and got the kids in bed I spent almost 2 hours running wires from the back of my SUV to the front seat center console (gawd, I hate how modern cars are built).  I'm mounting my FT-857 on the wall in the back and using the remote mount kit to put the head on a gooseneck at the center console.  And yes, in addition to running the speaker and mic cables I'm running a cable for the key up there 8) .  I would never try to send code while moving, but I'm not above pulling over for a QSO. ;D

It's interesting to see how conditions change.  A while ago Gil was talking 800 miles on 4W and tonight we had trouble going 1,200 miles on 100W.  All part of the fun.

gil

QuoteA while ago Gil was talking 800 miles on 4W

Same distance on 100mW once! Propagation and low noise level make all the difference..

Gil.

madball13

Quote from: cockpitbob on May 01, 2013, 11:30:20 PM
Thanks for hanging in there Bob. I hated having to fire up TS-2000 with it's power sucking 100 watts but unfortunately it just wasn't gonna happen with QRP. My multiple mistakes were from quickly throwing a different keyer in line once I gave up on the KX1, it kept trying to add extra dahs where I didn't want them, sorry bout that.
Let's do it again soon, hopefully QRP next time. In the meantime I'm still in the shack if anyone wants to try another one this evening.
Chris,
When you were using the KX1 I could occasionally hear the faintest tones in my S7 noise.  Not copyable, but I could tell someone was sending and figured that was you.  Thanks for wimping out and firing up the big gun!  Don't appologize for the keying mistakes.  At least you had a reason.  My situation (problem) is that I've spent all my time learning to copy and very little time getting on the air.  My shack is in the basement and it was just wasn't a fun place to be this winter, but it's warmed up now.  Thanks for putting up with my inexperienced fist, and yes, let's do that again!

I've got a few road trips planned for the summer, so after I signed off and got the kids in bed I spent almost 2 hours running wires from the back of my SUV to the front seat center console (gawd, I hate how modern cars are built).  I'm mounting my FT-857 on the wall in the back and using the remote mount kit to put the head on a gooseneck at the center console.  And yes, in addition to running the speaker and mic cables I'm running a cable for the key up there 8) .  I would never try to send code while moving, but I'm not above pulling over for a QSO. ;D

It's interesting to see how conditions change.  A while ago Gil was talking 800 miles on 4W and tonight we had trouble going 1,200 miles on 100W.  All part of the fun.

What are you going to run for an antenna? I just got a ATAS 120A off of QRZ and will pick it up locally on Saturday.

KK0G

Quote from: cockpitbob on May 01, 2013, 11:30:20 PM
Chris,

Yeah, I could tell you were sometimes thinking of the correct character to send by the pause. No worries though, you're fist was perfectly copyable and with regular practice it'll become second nature. The best thing I ever did for my code comprehension when I started learning was to get on the air everyday and making QSO's.

Lets do it again soon.

KK0G