Sked for backpack trip - Sun, Mon, Tue

Started by KK0G, May 10, 2013, 10:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

Pictures to follow later when I get home to night.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KK0G

First night in Buck Stop Camp, this one was by far my favorite camp site.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KK0G

First night in Buck Stop Camp, this one was by far my favorite camp site.

KK0G

KK0G

Short break while on the trail to the next campsite.

KK0G

KK0G

Spent the second night in Longbeard Camp, about a 4 mile hike from Buck Stop Camp.

KK0G

KK0G

This was my Achilles heel - boiling water, this time on my way out while at the creek. The second shot is one of several creek crossings, there's plenty of water available but hiking downhill from camp to the creek then back uphill to boil it back in camp was a pain in the........

KK0G

KK0G

Not sure why a couple of those photos posted upside down?? Either flip your monitor over or stand on your head I guess  ;D

KK0G

RadioRay

Great Pix! 

It's always cool to see how people had their camp  set-up.  Seeing your end-fed-half-wave antenna supported by the tree(s), it's more proof of the 'magic' of radio.  You were reliably communicating over a distance of 1,000 miles to Virginia on 20 meters at noon, using tiny, battery powered radios using  wire up a tree as antennas. Anyone can see just how 'packable' and 'sustainable' (oooooh, that WORD!) these QRP rigs really are - out in the real world where it counts.

Thanks for posting your sked.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

YOU were talking to My HUGE 1994 QRP kit radio (modified)...

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Thanks for taking the time to share the pics.
You got alot of utility out of that little black box as well as the elegantly improved Walmart special.
:)

gil

Nice pics! Makes me want to go camping again..

Gil.

KK0G

I'd have taken more photos but all I had was my iPhone and with no way to charge it I only turned it on a few times to conserve the battery. I considered taking my camera but during packing for the trip I was following the backpacking mantra of 'do I really need it?' and 'does it have multiple uses?'. In the end I decided the camera was just extra weight and bulk that the iPhone could already do plus more.

I've been backpacking, camping, canoeing, etc for most of my life but like Ray said, it was the 'magic' of radio and more specifically the magic of QRP CW that made this such a special trip for me. I already knew that flea power CW worked and very well at that, but it was still amazing to me to be able to chat with Ray on the other side of the country while I was in a remote campsite using a radio that added practically nill to the pack that contained my every possession for three days. If you haven't started already, learn Morse code, it's not difficult and it definitely works!

KK0G

gil

Quotelearn Morse code, it's not difficult and it definitely works!

Amen to that!

Gil.

RadioRay

learn Morse code, it's not difficult and it definitely works!

moo-ha-ha!   the ability to communicate with miniscule power levels across the country or internationally using CW really is AMAZING.

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry