Sked for backpack trip #2

Started by KK0G, May 23, 2013, 02:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

I thought I'd try to take advantage of the three day weekend coming up so I'm potentially going on another short backpack trip this weekend, this time to Loess Hills State Forest in western Iowa. This isn't a sure thing yet but I figured I'd throw it out there for sked times.

One thing I learned from last time is that morning skeds on 20 meter should be earlier than 1100 local time. While propagation was fine with very little QRM, it pretty much kept me tied down to camp until lunch time with no option to break camp and get back on the trail. Around 0900 local time would be much better.

The timing of the evening skeds at 1900 local was good for camp reasons but long distance propagation on 40 meters wasn't very hot at that time, close in was very good at that time though. That being the case, where we're located in relation to each other should be the determining factor in what band and time we choose.

Who's interested?
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

No promises as I have to see what goes on with HH6 (when she gets out of the hospital today or tomorrow) but a 1900 (000Z) time is something I could set my watch for on 40m. We know that works in this area if the band isn't totally in the toilet.

20m for those "easterners" is kinda iffy that time of the morning, but you're right. It's YOUR trip, YOU'RE the one in the field, you set YOUR sked.  8)

One request *IF* possible for the PM 40m sked; something other than the range 7066.75 to 7068.75 - something local has fired up recently in that range right there.  If using the FT-450 I can play with knobs and notch it out, but I'd rather listen for you on the 817, it has a better filter & ears. If not practical, no biggee I can use the 450.

:)

gil

Sure! You're on a roll! LOL.

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: KC9TNH on May 23, 2013, 02:32:10 PM
No promises as I have to see what goes on with HH6 (when she gets out of the hospital today or tomorrow) but a 1900 (000Z) time is something I could set my watch for on 40m. We know that works in this area if the band isn't totally in the toilet.

20m for those "easterners" is kinda iffy that time of the morning, but you're right. It's YOUR trip, YOU'RE the one in the field, you set YOUR sked.  8)

One request *IF* possible for the PM 40m sked; something other than the range 7066.75 to 7068.75 - something local has fired up recently in that range right there.  If using the FT-450 I can play with knobs and notch it out, but I'd rather listen for you on the 817, it has a better filter & ears. If not practical, no biggee I can use the 450.

I understand, no promise that I'm actually going either so............... 8)

I can easily pick a frequency outside of that range, not a problem at all. Are you talking just outside that range, say 7.065, or take it clear up to the old novice band at somewhere around 7.100?

Quote from: gil on May 23, 2013, 02:48:13 PM
Sure! You're on a roll! LOL.

Gil.

It seems for years now I could never 'find' the time to get out into the field for outdoor activities. I'm now trying to make the time to get out there. I saw a possible opportunity for this weekend so I thought I'd go for it even if it is spur of the moment.

We've got to find a way to make contact Gil, we've tried several times and apparently the propagation gods are not looking favorably upon us. Maybe early evening 20 meters would be good between us?
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

Count me in. 
What TIMES are best for you?  We can work band/time from there and send those suggestions back to you for consideration and try to keep you out of a sked during peak T-storm noise on low bands.

Best time/freq to me - and likely Gil as well:

40m   11:00 - 13:00 GMT  - I'd suggest 7105-7110 to keep away from contesters and digital modes.
20m   16:00 - 19:30 GMT

Let's see if I can attach a cover map for mid-day here.

Looks like you could pick a shot into Wes, Luck or Kim Jung Un from the chart for a mid-day/noon trail contast with a slant wire for lunch?  The 40m NVIS is an easy shot.
>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on May 23, 2013, 03:24:58 PM
Count me in. 
What TIMES are best for you?  We can work band/time from there and send those suggestions back to you for consideration.

>Ray

Fortunately I'm not doing hard core through hiking where I'm on the trail all day long for 14 hours so that I can cover 20 miles, it's more like two hours to hike 3-5 miles then set camp, explore, lounge, fish, play radio, etc. That keeps my schedule pretty open for skeds.

I'd say a morning window of 0800 - 1000 local with 0900 being ideal. In the evening about anytime from 1900 local on to bedtime would work.

KK0G

RadioRay

KK0G says: " I'd say a morning window of 0800 - 1000 local with 0900 being ideal. "

Naturally that is PERFECT for 30 meters   ;) ;)  late for forty and too early for twenty.

For the fellows who are closer to you though, 40m would likely do well during that 09:00 - 10:00C time slot.  Low noise, not crowded and etc.

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

QuoteWe've got to find a way to make contact Gil, we've tried several times and apparently the propagation gods are not looking favorably upon us. Maybe early evening 20 meters would be good between us?

Sure, we could try that. There were a few mean solar flares recently, and I am sure that didn't help.. Even with Ray this morning, it was hard to copy. The Ionosphere hasn't recovered quite yet... Usually we have no trouble... So, I am hopeful that we will make contact, since I have heard you faintly before...

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on May 23, 2013, 03:58:16 PM
KK0G says: " I'd say a morning window of 0800 - 1000 local with 0900 being ideal. "

Naturally that is PERFECT for 30 meters   ;) ;)  late for forty and too early for twenty.

For the fellows who are closer to you though, 40m would likely do well during that 09:00 - 10:00C time slot.  Low noise, not crowded and etc.

de RadioRay ..._ ._

Of course............. story of my life 8)

That HAP coverage map is SWEET!! But I give up, apparently my Google Foo is not quite up to snuff because the one I found from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology is not nearly as detailed as yours - what's the link?

KK0G

RadioRay

http://www.ips.gov.au/Category/HF%20Systems/Online%20Tools/Prediction%20Tools/HAP/HAP.php?CatID=6&SecID=7&SecName=Online%20Tools&SubSecID=1&SubSecName=Prediction%20Tools&LinkName=HAP

Set to Amateur frequencies and 0 degree LARGE center.

first click is your Base

Click and hold and drag a coverage area

Press Do Prediction.

The output are four pic files.

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on May 23, 2013, 04:47:57 PM
http://www.ips.gov.au/Category/HF%20Systems/Online%20Tools/Prediction%20Tools/HAP/HAP.php?CatID=6&SecID=7&SecName=Online%20Tools&SubSecID=1&SubSecName=Prediction%20Tools&LinkName=HAP

Set to Amateur frequencies and 0 degree LARGE center.

first click is your Base

Click and hold and drag a coverage area

Press Do Prediction.

The output are four pic files.

Gee thanks Ray, now I'm gonna be playing with this thing for hours 8)

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on May 23, 2013, 04:57:13 PM
Another monster created, good job Ray.  ;D

Quote from: KK0G on May 23, 2013, 03:13:15 PM
I can easily pick a frequency outside of that range, not a problem at all. Are you talking just outside that range, say 7.065, or take it clear up to the old novice band at somewhere around 7.100?
Right, it can be just outside that range - the range I posted is the full depth of this thing. I need to hunt it down and terminate w/extreme prejudice but it could be something temporary. Being on the edge of a town residential area could be anything and 40m is like a vacuum cleaner. I'll "likely" be free to for a listening watch if 0900 CDT (1400Z) is a time that's worked out.

Lookin' forward to the details.
Are you gonna be far enough west to miss the fun coming up from your six o'clock over the weekend? Lotta juicy atmosphere still getting made out there.

p.s. MSR got here today, thanks again for the link, good service & delivery from those folks.

KK0G

Quote from: KC9TNH on May 23, 2013, 05:33:59 PM
Quote from: KK0G on May 23, 2013, 04:57:13 PM
Another monster created, good job Ray.  ;D

Quote from: KK0G on May 23, 2013, 03:13:15 PM
Right, it can be just outside that range - the range I posted is the full depth of this thing. I need to hunt it down and terminate w/extreme prejudice but it could be something temporary. Being on the edge of a town residential area could be anything and 40m is like a vacuum cleaner. I'll "likely" be free to for a listening watch if 0900 CDT (1400Z) is a time that's worked out.

Lookin' forward to the details.
Are you gonna be far enough west to miss the fun coming up from your six o'clock over the weekend? Lotta juicy atmosphere still getting made out there.

p.s. MSR got here today, thanks again for the link, good service & delivery from those folks.

That sounds like a sked to me 8). Make it 1400 UTC at 7.065 MHz, if you're there you're there and if you're not you're not, no worries.

Hopefully the WX cooperates, if not I guess I'll get wet, that's why I have rain gear, a pack cover and a tent.

You're welcome although I didn't do much, just passed on the great deal I found. That was a damn good price too.

KK0G

RadioRay

"Another monster created, good job Ray."  ;D

All part of my Evil Plan to RULE The World Using Ham Radio - Mooo-ha-ha-ha!!!

>de RadioRay ..._ ._    8)

KK0G

Damn, the more I play with that HAP chart the more I realize how badly I need to add the 30 meter module to my KX1! The fact that it includes 80 meters is just icing on the cake. Now I have to spend more money!  ;D

KK0G