Sked for backpack trip #2

Started by KK0G, May 23, 2013, 02:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on May 23, 2013, 11:19:39 PM
Damn, the more I play with that HAP chart the more I realize how badly I need to add the 30 meter module to my KX1! The fact that it includes 80 meters is just icing on the cake. Now I have to spend more money!  ;D
Yup, that  band is really useful. Not sure but I think earlier years 30 was available add-in by itself, but 30/80 is nice.

G2G on the sked; I'll be listening Sat-Mon 0900CDT on 7065. Do you want any increments +- in case some special event station fires up?  If so, just post here before heading out. I can listen wide.

If there's a PM band that works eastbound as well maybe Ray or Gil can pick that up.

KK0G

Quote from: KC9TNH on May 24, 2013, 10:53:45 AM
Quote from: KK0G on May 23, 2013, 11:19:39 PM
Damn, the more I play with that HAP chart the more I realize how badly I need to add the 30 meter module to my KX1! The fact that it includes 80 meters is just icing on the cake. Now I have to spend more money!  ;D
Yup, that  band is really useful. Not sure but I think earlier years 30 was available add-in by itself, but 30/80 is nice.

G2G on the sked; I'll be listening Sat-Mon 0900CDT on 7065. Do you want any increments +- in case some special event station fires up?  If so, just post here before heading out. I can listen wide.

If there's a PM band that works eastbound as well maybe Ray or Gil can pick that up.

Go down from there in case of QRM, 7.065 -7.060.

For the east coast, since I don't have 30 meters we may have to try one band at the top of the hour and if nothing heard switch to the other band at 15 after.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

Trackin' all.

As my buds still in uniform would say, "now move out & draw fire."
Anytime away from town is like re-claiming some life juice.
;)

KK0G

Uh-oh, I just discovered what's on the calender for this weekend: http://www.cqwpx.com/rules.htm
Could make skeds pretty damn difficult, we may have to search up and down from the scheduled frequencies to find a clear spot :( Now I REALLY wish I had 30 meters!!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

Get above 7.100 and you'll be contest free.  This is one of the many many many many many reasons I despise contests.

>.-.

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on May 24, 2013, 05:26:47 PM
Get above 7.100 and you'll be contest free.  This is one of the many many many many many reasons I despise contests.

Agreed. Wes, change that frequency to 7.105 MHz +/- 

KK0G

RadioRay

aaaaaaand if you REALLY want to evade a CW contest, make your secondary 40m frequency 7.299 USB. Voice on 40 is LSB, so you're not likely to have any LSB energy on your CW signal at the upper band edge.  You want your CW signal ZERO BEAT below 7.300 - the band edge - of course, but you do not need more than 100 Hz bandwidth, so a USB freb of 7.299 + 650 Hz tone = 7.299650 Mhz ...  get it?

Maybe not for this time, but that DDS in the KX-1 is more than accurate enough to handle this job.

A little 'Guerrilla Ham Radio' for you there ...

This is also why I slide up just under the PSK freqs on 20m, making my skeds in the 3 KHz below 14070, rig in LSB or CW set for LSB is best, but not necessary. Find your sked, clamp down the filters.  QRP is like guerrilla warfare - you never go toe-toe-if you can avoid it, but you use your filter and frequency agility as well as timing to your advantage.

de RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Thanks for the advice Ray, I'll keep that one in my memory banks.

Now for the unfortunate news; I just found out that the son of an old friend of mine is graduating HS tomorrow and I really should go, so depending on the duration of that, the earliest I can leave for my trip is tomorrow afternoon. If it runs into the evening I won't be able to leave until Sunday. In a nutshell, everything's in a holding pattern right now so don't stand by for any skeds until I give the go signal.

KK0G

KC9TNH

I get it. A few years back when on the road every summer I'd ask people, "what do you mean you're getting married?!?  Didn't you check the match schedule?"

Tracking 7.105 and holding.
8)

KC9TNH

If you do manage to head-out late today yet, post here before departing if you'd like an evening watch tonight on 40m. (Hopefully the band will perk up in the next few hours.)

KK0G

I was monitoring the NWS broadcast on my way back from the graduation party and they're now calling for an 80% chance of thunderstorms today and tonight, with a 70% chance for the same thing for the next 3 days, up to 2-4 inches of rain with a strong possibility of some of those being severe T-storms. I may be dumb but I ain't stupid 8).......... trip cancelled. Thanks to everyone for setting skeds, we'll do it another time.

I may go ahead and drive out to the Loess Hills area this weekend just to do some scouting for a future trip. I'll definitely take my KX1 along but since it's nowhere near water resistant it probably won't see much use unless I'm in the right place at the right time when no WX prevents me from deploying it. Since I have no idea when or even if that will happen, I can't set any skeds but if I do get the opportunity I'll at least start out near our previous sked frequencies: 7.105 MHz +/- and 14.067.5, maybe we'll get lucky and meet up.

Thanks again everybody, 73 de KK0G

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on May 25, 2013, 02:58:12 PM...severe T-storms. I may be dumb but I ain't stupid 8).......... trip cancelled. Thanks to everyone for setting skeds, we'll do it another time.

...I'll at least start out near our previous sked frequencies: 7.105 MHz +/- and 14.067.5, maybe we'll get lucky and meet up.

Thanks again everybody, 73 de KK0G
Sounds like good judgement, which comes from experience, which unfortunately sometimes comes from bad judgement. Good deal; I don't  stand in a bass boat on the Miss. R in those conditions with a 7' graphite "hit me" pole in my hand either. ;)

I pulled that area up on GE, very nice.  If you do a scouting trip between baths never hurts to toss a call out.  If I'm in the room I'll leave the 817 set on 7105.
:)

KK0G

Quote from: KC9TNH on May 25, 2013, 04:38:23 PM
Sounds like good judgement, which comes from experience, which unfortunately sometimes comes from bad judgement............

If that's the case then I should have EXCELLENT judgement!!  ;D

Quote from: KC9TNH on May 25, 2013, 04:38:23 PM
I pulled that area up on GE, very nice.  If you do a scouting trip between baths never hurts to toss a call out.  If I'm in the room I'll leave the 817 set on 7105.

The XYL has relatives in the area so I've been there many times but I've never really explored it on foot in the hills and in the timber. It's a beautiful area with a landscape that's not only rare in Iowa, it's rare on the entire planet; the only other place with Loess geology is in China which from what I understand is nowhere near as well preserved as it is here. It's truly one of Iowa's rare treasures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loess_Hills

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on May 25, 2013, 05:08:45 PMIt's truly one of Iowa's rare treasures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loess_Hills
Thanks for the link on the geology; went back & looked at the features a bit more intently. Some of those razorbacks would be fine locations for a wire & a CW key. Same as around here, 1400' MSL can get you some serious "in the clear" conditions. Nice.

White Tiger

Very cool geology - didn't know it existed in the Hawkeye state!?

I've been looking for some interesting areas to go on vacation...this just got added to my list. The XYL and I are currently attempting to wind our way through the UP!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.