Introduction

Started by rockymtnsurvival, July 26, 2012, 12:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockymtnsurvival

I live in the western part of the US and have been involved in prepping for over 30 years.  I finally decided to invest in some ham equipment, having been interested in the hobby since I was about 8 years old, but not having the resources or money to purchase and pass the tests.

My father was a radioman in the Navy during WWII, and my favorite thing to do was to sit with him on Saturdays listening to SW while he decoded the CW coming from an old RCA Victor tube multi-band radio.

I am and Extra Class ticket holder, and my call is W7WWD. My primary radio is an ICOM 756 ProII, but I also have 2 Kenwood boat anchors, a couple of ICOM 706mkIIgs and some handhelds.  I run an 800 watt amp, and a Palstar tuner into a 40-80M inverted "V" with a vertix at about 35 feet.

I am and have been involved in numerous prepper groups, some worldwide, and others relatively local with a specialty in communications. I don't affiliate with any ARES/RACES groups since I think that they will be useless during WROL.  I have also been a super-mod on a large prepper site moderating the communications forum.  I am a W5YI VEC and have taught numerous classes on test preparation and radio theory.  I have two websites that I own, http://rockymountainsurvivalinstitute.com and http://soyouthinkyouready.com which cover many aspects of prepping.

I hope to be able to help on this site, and hope to be able to learn from each of you too.

gil

Welcome aboard! It looks like you might have quite a bit to share on this site, which is great. Thank you for signing up. I do read your blog on a regular basis, and suggest  anyone here do the same.

About the Tech test, I certainly think it has a useful purpose. I saw CB in the 80s, and what it is now. Not pretty.. While I own a CB radio, it is rarely plugged-in. I keep it just in case..

I think the purpose of this site should be education, as well as community building, an information exchange hub in case of emergency. Later, it would be nice to agree on some frequencies and establish a weekly net. But one thing at a time. Right now I am trying to get the word out, and everyone can help.

Have a great day  :)

Gil.

Todd

Hi all, name is Todd. Glad to see a radio prepper site. I am an all around  prepper and communication is one place i think, gets forgot about a lot. I am happy to be a member and hope i can add some useful info. to the site. Thanks Todd

gil

Welcome aboard Todd  :)

Sunflower

Sunflower

Quote from: rockymtnsurvival on July 26, 2012, 12:00:25 PM
I live in the western part of the US and have been involved in prepping for over 30 years.  I finally decided to invest in some ham equipment, having been interested in the hobby since I was about 8 years old, but not having the resources or money to purchase and pass the tests.

My father was a radioman in the Navy during WWII, and my favorite thing to do was to sit with him on Saturdays listening to SW while he decoded the CW coming from an old RCA Victor tube multi-band radio.

I am and Extra Class ticket holder, and my call is W7WWD. My primary radio is an ICOM 756 ProII, but I also have 2 Kenwood boat anchors, a couple of ICOM 706mkIIgs and some handhelds.  I run an 800 watt amp, and a Palstar tuner into a 40-80M inverted "V" with a vertix at about 35 feet.

I am and have been involved in numerous prepper groups, some worldwide, and others relatively local with a specialty in communications. I don't affiliate with any ARES/RACES groups since I think that they will be useless during WROL.  I have also been a super-mod on a large prepper site moderating the communications forum.  I am a W5YI VEC and have taught numerous classes on test preparation and radio theory.  I have two websites that I own, http://rockymountainsurvivalinstitute.com and http://soyouthinkyouready.com which cover many aspects of prepping.

I hope to be able to help on this site, and hope to be able to learn from each of you too.

Welcome RockyMountain. Nice intro. I am looking forward to checking out your sites. Thank you for not being shy about sharing your knowledge.

I have a quick question, do you have a personal opinion about the character traits/habits that make for a poor or unsuitable HAM/radio beginner? For example, I am not tech friendly, but I am creative. I use to take shop classes in highschool. I loved metal shop. As an adult I took night school classes, but did not get a working handle for woodworking shop. I did however learn some important safety skills and have made use of them. Is memory or organizational skills especially critical? BTW, I am not ex-military or have any special skills like that. My back ground is in art, and production/manufacturing and aerospace procurement/quality assurance/surveillance.

Thanks for your consideration.