Want to say Hi to a space probe today?

Started by gil, October 09, 2013, 11:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/hijuno/

The explanations are not clear as to when to transmit... Anybody making sense of this?

Gil.

RadioRay

Their FAQ has more details.  Basically, it's an experiment to allow hams to send super slow Morse code, sending 'HI' with dits 30 seconds long and no other message content (as far as I can see in the instructions). This is during it's fly by of planet Earth. I do not see any way to know whether this satellite has received you.  Looks like a clever way for them to test the on board instrumentation and generate interest in their project as well.  They mention a QSL card for those who participate.

-...-

On a different note, I used to enjoy tuning through the ham satellites which had linear transponders. Always interesting.

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

underhill

Don't know if I'll ever get that QSL card, I did participate that day, and sent in my callsign, so we'll see.

Nasa has a couple videos posted now on the link as to the project, thought I'd post here case anyone finds  interesting

http://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/hijuno/

Allan

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on October 09, 2013, 12:43:00 PM
.............Basically, it's an experiment to allow hams to send super slow Morse code, sending 'HI' with dits 30 seconds long and no other message content.............

If my math is correct that's 7 1/2 minutes to send just two characters!!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

underhill

The QSL card arrived today.  I don't have but a couple QSL cards, I really don't collect paper, but this one is kinda cool.

I like it anyway  :)
Allan

KC3AOL

That is pretty cool!

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

cockpitbob

Very cool. 
I love space stuff.  I've made a lot of 2M/70cm contacts with the low earth orbit birds with an HT and hand held yagi.  In fact, one of the reasons I learned CW is that CW moon-bounce is on my bucket list.  Moon-bounce is much easier with digital modes, but I want to hear my own CQ delayed 3 seconds.

KC3AOL

Found out yesterday that a guy I had Sys Eng classes with is now an astronaut and will be going to the ISS in about a month. So I'm going to have to try to make contact. Has anybody made contact with the ISS before?

Blue Rocket

Quoteis now an astronaut and will be going to the ISS in about a month

Assuming we're not trading punches with Russia by then over events in eastern Europe. I hope they still let us ride their rocket.

cockpitbob

Quote from: KC3AOL on May 04, 2014, 07:19:53 AM
Found out yesterday that a guy I had Sys Eng classes with is now an astronaut and will be going to the ISS in about a month. So I'm going to have to try to make contact. Has anybody made contact with the ISS before?

To schedule a qso with the ISS is a long involved process.  You'll read about schools doing it.  They must meet the requirements of a long checklist of equipment, people, back-up gear...   It's a little over the top.  For the average joe, you have to get lucky.  Sometimes the astronauts will just pick up the mic and start talking to whoever is out there.  It's rare but it happens.

Blue Rocket

QuoteAssuming we're not trading punches with Russia by then over events in eastern Europe. I hope they still let us ride their rocket.

Told you so.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-05-13/russia-retaliates-blocks-gps-bans-us-use-its-rocket-engines

The good news is the Russians will "honor" their agreement till 2020, so your friend looks like he might still get his ride into space this year; however, if things escalate in Ukraine -- all bets are off. If he does go up, I hope they'll honor his return ticket.

The only thing we've learned from history is that we we cannot learn from history. -- Friedrich Hegel