QRP CW has come a long way

Started by KC9TNH, January 08, 2013, 04:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

Just thought I'd share this link to an interesting article, which has a link to a (not pricey) book also for those who may be interested.

http://www.ae5x.com/blog/2013/01/04/portable-cw-operation-under-duress-a-yl-in-ww2/

Just think how much extra chow could've gone in that suitcase....
8)

gil

Excellent story, thank you! Of course they didn't call it QRP back then, I assume, but it has indeed come a long way. The same principles apply however, mainly, portability.

For me, QRP means just that, small, simple and portable, with low current drain. The low power is a consequence of these requirements. So, when people argue about whether 6W is QRP or not, I roll my eyes... It's not so much about the power, although it is very interesting to see what can be done with very little. If there was a pocket size radio that had a 100W output and drew only a couple amps, I'd be the first one to buy it. We can't change the laws of physics, so it isn't going to happen.

The painting is great by the way, I'd love a print for the shack!

Morse code is also the hero here. There was no technology to encrypt voice back then, or data modes, that I know of... It still works as well today.

I just sold my K2 and my Icom IC-271 to buy the Rolls Royce of QRP radios, the Elecraft KX3. It is awesome! Filtering CW down to 50HZ! I'm in QRP heaven. It outputs 12W, but yes, for me, that is still QRP. On the internal batteries, power is 3-5W. It even allows me to send RTTY or PSK31 using the paddles. Decoded text scrolls on the screen. It's 160-6m, and a 2m module is in the works.

Anyway, I will be ordering a book soon: "The Clandestine Radio Operators" by Jean-Louis Perquin.

QRP is a necessity...

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on January 08, 2013, 07:33:43 PM
The painting is great by the way, I'd love a print for the shack!
Good eye, there. Thought that was pretty interesting as well, Jeff Bass is a fine artist.
I've got that book you mentioned on my 'list' as well, just 'cause. Have to get it now 'cause it didn't appear under the tree.

Congrats on the KX3. Sounds like it's right in your wheelhouse.
When I think of what an underpowered radio used to weigh (after being militarized), jeebers.

I seem to recall Le Carre' gave his hapless protagonist a suitcase radio in "The Looking Glass War" but it's been awhile, antenna strung about the rented room & what not. Jolly good stuff!

I gather you like resonant stuff, but have you ever thought of picking up or building Elecraft's little T1 just to have in the kit?

gil

QuoteI gather you like resonant stuff, but have you ever thought of picking up or building Elecraft's little T1 just to have in the kit?

I have thought about it, yes, and will get one some time. My K1 has the auto tuner, and I will get one for the KX3. I do like resonant antennas, just to squeeze a bit more power out, but sometimes, you just can't reduce SWR... Especially when operating near metal structures, using random wires, antennas on bands they are not designed for, or things that are not supposed to be antennas.!

QuoteWhen I think of what an underpowered radio used to weigh (after being militarized), jeebers.

Speaking about militarized, the only thing I don't like about Elecraft products is their lack of weatherproofing... Other than that, I don't think they have competition out there.

Gil.

gil

What could be used to build a hand crank or bicycle generator?

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on January 09, 2013, 04:24:22 PM
What could be used to build a hand crank or bicycle generator?

Gil.
You gave me a vision of the old "rich kid's" bike with the tilt-over generator run off the back wheel to run the headlight. With batteries & LEDs doing a fine job of that now, I wonder if a person couldn't also recharge their gel-cell as they cruise about innocuously using a bike-based generator of some kind. I suspect the limit is in terms of imagination.

RadioRay

The new tech version of the 'rich kid's generator' is the generator in the hub, used to charge the bicycle's lighting battery and in some cases it's both a generator and an electric motor so you can charge on easy peddling and kick in the electric motor when your 'body battery' needs a bit of recharging.

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on January 09, 2013, 07:11:00 PM
The new tech version of the 'rich kid's generator' is the generator in the hub, used to charge the bicycle's lighting battery and in some cases it's both a generator and an electric motor so you can charge on easy peddling and kick in the electric motor when your 'body battery' needs a bit of recharging.

>Ray
Really!? A hybrid bike, with more miles per PB sandwich?
I gotta get out more...

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on January 08, 2013, 07:33:43 PMI just sold my K2 and my Icom IC-271 to buy the Rolls Royce of QRP radios, the Elecraft KX3. It is awesome! Filtering CW down to 50HZ! I'm in QRP heaven. It outputs 12W, but yes, for me, that is still QRP. On the internal batteries, power is 3-5W. It even allows me to send RTTY or PSK31 using the paddles. Decoded text scrolls on the screen. It's 160-6m, and a 2m module is in the works.

Anyway, I will be ordering a book soon: "The Clandestine Radio Operators" by Jean-Louis Perquin.
By the way, like the Monopoly card "Bank Error in Your Favor" a screw-up by Amazon left me with some credit burning a hole in my mouse, so I ordered this one along with another for the MACV-SOG library. (Vinters are long up here, Kamerad.)

If you were using the KX3 this weekend, nice alignment, sweet waveform on your tone, easy copy when the guy over the pole & QRN wasn't takin' you out. Luck of the draw, but your 10w was ez-breezy.
Happy trails!

gil

Hello Wes,

I could hear you all right, though there was some fading. The KX3 indeed is working great. Ray and I have been able to make contact every time we tried, but only reliably on 20m. You might want to drop in, same time and freq. I am sure we will get a better path some time.. It's good practice for Morse  :)

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on January 20, 2013, 05:52:35 PM
Hello Wes,

I could hear you all right, though there was some fading. The KX3 indeed is working great. Ray and I have been able to make contact every time we tried, but only reliably on 20m. You might want to drop in, same time and freq. I am sure we will get a better path some time.. It's good practice for Morse  :)

Gil.
You bet, as I told Ray, many thanks for the invite. I was listening this AM but I get Canucks over my shoulder doing weird stuff sometimes.  That freq is close to a couple of regular digital ones that are used apparently by them, and IIRC I think there's a WINMOR RMS somewhere thereabouts.
Anyway, I'll be listening.
Nice job with the KX3.
:)

White Tiger

Quote from: KC9TNH on January 20, 2013, 02:55:23 PM
By the way, like the Monopoly card "Bank Error in Your Favor" a screw-up by Amazon left me with some credit burning a hole in my mouse, so I ordered this one along with another for the MACV-SOG library. (Vinters are long up here, Kamerad.)
My uncle was one of the original MACV's in Vietnam. He trained South Vietnamese Rangers during his first couple of tours...they were the same Rangers that denied a couple of divisions of NVA entrance to Saigon for several days...until they ran out of ammunition and were overrun. My uncle watched from somewhere in Asia.

He is in his 80's now - but you wouldn't know it. Cant get him interested in radio - just sold his Nappa Valley home, downsized and moved to another QTH in California...your reference to MACV-SOG triggered a memory!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

KC9TNH

White Tiger, please pass along my deepest respect for you Uncle's service and what it took to do what you describe back then. If he's in his 80's then he was there early-on most likely. The very small number of the RVN version of SF that were trained by us, as well as some companies of ARVN Rangers, were - well, let's be polite - a notable cut above the typical description applied to the average ARVN conscript and need to tip their hat to no one.

It can take several shelves to gather enough lit to get the "integrated" picture between what SOG did, how it affected national strategy, and the efforts of the other services at the time, but that effort by a relatively select few, in a line of work where the attrition was in the monstrous category, is very inspiring stuff.
Bravo Zulu to your Uncle.

As an off-shoot of that, since this is a QRP thread, the commies were not klutz's and pretty damned good at DF. So if you wanna test your ability to be "stealthy" & have a barrel of laughs to boot, find some competent "foxhounds" in your local radio club and then go try hiding with your continuously transmitting radio.  Good luck. (Fortunately there are some here who have some expertise in really perversely twisted stealth antenna ideas.....)

Jes' sayin'.   ;D

White Tiger

Sounds cool - pardon me for deviating from the OP - thanks, I will pass along your comments.

There is an event coming up in Orlando near me....and fox hunting is on the menu!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.