Buddistick first impressions.

Started by gil, September 24, 2012, 07:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

I received my Buddistick antenna today, and decided to set-up a QRP station inside the house. I wasn't expecting much to happen mind you.. So, I got my Elecraft K1 out and clamped the Buddistick to the coffee table in the living room; second floor.. Set-up was very easy, especially using my "Tenna Dipper." Minutes later I was in a QSO with a station 800+ miles away! He gave me a 569 report, which really surprised me. I was putting out 6W. So, this one is going on my "do not ever sell" list. I will report any further unexpected QSOs with this antenna. Now I need to take it out into the wild and operate from some remote area...

Gil.

gil

Hi Paul, it was on 20m. I seem to receive very well on 40m too, but haven't had any QSO yet. Propagation sucks tonight.. I do get a nice 1:1 SWR on 7030 though.. My plan is to get a longer telescopic whip and another 11" lower element. Maybe even the low band coil ($75, ouch!). I know it is a compromise antenna, but it is so convenient! Sets up in five minutes, fits in a small bag, and it works. I'll probably use it mainly on 20 and 15m, but not giving up on 40 yet.. I still can't believe I reached out 800 miles on 6W with the antenna in my living room!

Gil.

gil

Update: I called RadioRay today on 30m. I used my Buddistick inside the house, clamped on the living room coffee table. He heard me and replied. That's when I realized that the power on my K2 was set to 2W, 813 miles!

Gil.

RadioRay

Well Gill -

Strictly speaking, you were just showing off with those two Watts and could have done it on ONE...    ;^)
You're a young man and let all that power go to your head.    :o

Seriously though - as I mentioned while we talked on the air (in Morse), you were quite readable even at the two Watt level.  Yes, it was noticable when you upped it to 15 Watts , but not absolutely required. That type of VERY SMALL power consumption would be easy to keep a radio operating if you have any sort of alternative power source. It just goes to show you what can be done with a small, home made radio, proper frequency selection, and a good basic antenna. There was -no doubt- more absorption and noise being inside of your apartment, but - it still worked quite well!  If you ever set-up in a park someplace, it'll be excellent. 

I was running my "full" 14 Watts into a homebrew dipole here.  Nothing fancy.

Good CW from you too.  I am amazed how rapidly you're advancing in your Morse code!

73 de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Oh no Ray, it was the antenna I was promoting, not myself  :D
I think the last time success went to my head, I must have been around twelve!

QuoteI am amazed how rapidly you're advancing in your Morse code!

You wouldn't be if you saw my notepad  :o

Gil.

RadioRay

Ouch!

Oh No Gil, I was kiddingly reffering to the TWO WATTS of radio frequency power being "excessive 'power", when one Watt would do.    :D  moooo-ha-ha-ha.  QRP Morse is amazingly effective and while there's nothing wrong with 1500 Watts and a huge beam in the air, this is living proof that you can have an effective, small, lite, portable station which would be MUCH easier to keep running in a TEOTWAKI situation, like the rigs that you've built and put on the air. It needn't cost a fortune to have an effective ham radio station. I didn't express my amusement very well - sorry.

:)  ;)  :D  ;D  ::)

Sorry, my friend I was trying to make a joke to emphasive the power of QRP in real world communications. However, text only,
without voice or facial expression is so easily misunderstood. 

MAN - you're doing well.  Sorry for the mis-understanding. Frankly, I'm quite impressed with what you've accomplished, in teaching yourself, passing three exams up to Extra, along with the code and then DOING IT!  Many people can't bring themselves to actually get on the air.

//Hint: One reason that I ask questions on the air is to ensure that you must copy & understand to answer.  You did that just fine, including a change of frequency. //

73 de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Ray, I can't thank you enough for your help. It's great for me to practice copying on paper and not feel bad about missing a few letters, because then I can ask confirmation by email. It is not always easy to find someone willing to slow down to 8wpm for long QSOs AND repeat himself often! The 2W accident was indeed very interesting. 2 Watts with an 8ft. antenna inside the house!! Still amazed. It shows that as you say, power is not the main factor; a few watts can do a lot, more than I thought in fact. I was worried about rarely making contact, especially with the Buddistick. Some comments on Eham did portray it as a "good dummy load." Now I know that these people have no idea what they are talking about... Probably the same guys that pretend QRP doesn't work and only leads to frustration and hair-pulling. Poor ignorant souls...

As to "doing it all in a short time," I have discovered that a big part of learning is not caring about failing. I often "jump in" projects or situations slightly above my comfort level, and that is the best way to learn. That is, when there is no risk to life and limb... I always tell myself "one thing at a time." But one things leads to another...

For TEOTWAKI, I believe in mobility. Not that bugging out is always the answer, especially if like me you have nowhere to go. But you never know if you'll have to. If I had to for instance, my IC-271A is not coming along.. I have much more important things to carry than a boat anchor. The K1 and the Buddistick are the first ones I'll grab.

Anyway, I still have trouble sometimes confusing W,U,D & G... I know them of course, but I lag in decoding them sometimes.

Time to turn the radio on for a bit around 7030... Good night ya'll  ;)

Gil.