MTR5b from LNR Precision

Started by RadioRay, May 28, 2016, 08:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

I recently sold my two band MTR2b (Gil's old one) and a YouKits HB1B to buy the tiny MTR5b.  I feel it was a good trade, though the problem with any specialized rig is that it's - well - specialized.  The MTR2b had a great receiver, but due to it's being optimized for CW, it is narrow - great for CW, but not useful for anything else: specialized: only for CW. That's not a mistake; it's a design function and it pays-off in superb CW performance in an insanely small package! 

The HB1B by YOUkits has an adjustable bandwidth, so that you can listen to SSB and AM shortwave (by zerobeating the signal) and you can make it quite narrow for excellent CW reception. That's a huge plus for a prepper or any person who's budget recommends that one radio do more than simple ham CW. The Hb1B series does that and one a very good power budget in a small, lite box.

The LNR Precision solved a HUGE problem by selling MTR 3 band and 5 band rigs commercially, because MTR's were previously ONLY available at random, during limited runs of a few dozen or perhaps one hundred; on-line. How the designer was able to dedicate the time, I'll never know.  They often sold-out before word spread that they were for sale. Remember, a full-time employed person is the one who designed and kitted these previously. Even IF I had his brain; I would not do it - too much frustration. So, LNR stepping in to produce these commercially - Woo-Hoo!.

I have only one gripe: p (and it's an important one) my MTR5b arrived very poorly aligned. The transmit/receive frequencies were misaligned by a few hundred Hz.  In any rig, it's a sign of poor quality. In a CW only transceiver with a nice, tight receiver bandwidth: that is very poor.  The receiver stages were poorly peaked causing the already mistuned signal to be out of the center of the passband, when it sounded like it was at zerobeat, so -  even weaker in the earbuds. The frequency display was off by a couple of hundred Hz as well .

I read the manual and because it's based on the construction manual by the designer, it had full alignment and calibration instructions. After a bit of dial twidling and 'tweaker-tool-time', my MTR is right on frequency ( error measured in a couple of Hz after warm-up) , I've peaked the receiver front ends and this MTR5b (like it's predecessors ) is VERY HOT and nicely selective!

I'm glad that I ordered it, but dissapointed that LNR did not perform a proper alignment - after all, it's not a kit. I am certain that the pressure is ON LNR Precision to make as many as possible, so it's tempting to accidentally make them 'faster-than-possible'. However, the fact is that they brought an excellent - limited run product to full commercial production and it's unlike anything else on the market.

Good on LNR for producing these commercially, but please; make more bench time for alignment and tighter QA to keep this excellent rig performing as it should.

73/72 de Ray

Ps. I just finished some QSO's using my home brew , magnetic loop / Anti-HOA antenna.  When I got to the part about '2 watts on a 9 v transistor battery' the fellow on the other end thought it was hilarious!

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Excellent info Ray! I was planning on doing an alignment on my MTR3b from LNR precision. Now I will certainly do it right away. I did suspect sub-par alignment and you confirmed it.

Had LNR precision offered the 5b with 80m instead of 17, I would have bought it. As is, the 5b has nothing to offer me more than the 3b. An LCD... So what? I asked them if they were planning an 80m version; waiting for the answer..

Gil

gil

I forwarded this thread to LNR precision. I have always had excellent customer service from them. Larry Draughn even exchanged my FX2 once, no questions asked. He also sent me a PAR trail version wire and choke upon request. Definitely a good company to buy from. I bet he will listen...

Gil

RadioRay

I am quite impressed with LNR and their service! This is likely an " Ooops" caused by the desire to get as many built as possible to supply their customers. I'm in the electronics manufacturing business , so I understamd how this can happen and how difficult it is to find a bench tech with the 'big picture" and nerves of steel to do it completely, when the pressure for more product is ever present.

> The fact remains that I was able to buy an MTR* ONLY because LNR Precision made that deal with the designer to mass market them.

80 meters is a must for a "wilderness radio". DX can be fun but I am researching which "DX" band to drop so that I can convert it to 80 meters on my MTR5b. If LNR dropped 17 and added eighty meters as an option, it would be a good sales point for those of us who prefer solid NVIS instead of sporadic DX. 80, 60 & 40 through 20 meters would be great.  15 has more room but 17 m is a non-contest band and so its more valuable to a communicator rather than a 599 sending computer.
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Right, tough choice. I would eliminate 17, still 30m for no-contest. I like the shorter antennas on 15 and the fact that many 40m antennas work on 15. 80 will be very useful in the coming years of declining solar activity.

Gil

on6uu

My MTR3B is also off frequency.   It's poor service.

ON6UU

gil

Well, I haven't used mine yet, since Robert Kent hasn't shipped my key yet, which I ordered on May 9th. Now that is poor service. I will align it as soon as I can for sure..

Gil.

RadioRay

Gil !

Here's a (funny) examples of making a key from available materials - and it's edible.

Banana Key
https://youtu.be/A7N7y99FziU

I think I've heard this guy on the air before - -  (not edible )
https://youtu.be/xR7WGmV3qtM

gil

LOL, no bananas here, but there is the cat... I thought about rigging something up but since my Windom isn't up yet, I refrained.

Gil