The Last Warbler 20 PSK31 transceiver kit.

Started by gil, June 09, 2015, 05:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

After getting the last NS-40 transmitter kit I just scored another "last," the Warbler 20 PSK31 transceiver kit from Dave Benson. I was inquiring to him about the grib files (PCB layout) when he told me he had a return from a customer who never built it. Don't contact Dave, he is retired, and that was the last one.

My attempt at PSK31 with the MTR didn't lead to any contact.. I only tried a couple times. Maybe I'll have better luck with a dedicated rig.

I wish there was another kit available today. SDRs can be used of course, but the setup isn't always straightforward. Anyone here has tried digital modes with say, a Softrock RXTX SDR?

Stay tuned for the build on this thread...

Gil.

RadioRay

That is quite a find.  The 'Warbler' on 80m was many people's introduction to the (then) new mode of PSK-31.  the roaring couple of Watts worked very well, with contacts from all over the USA on 80m.  The design was so good, making use of crystal mixing and fixed on the 80m PSK-31 freq of the day. 

The twenty meter version is also crystal bound, which is excellent for the PSK window on twenty.  This and a smart phone should be all that you need to run PSK from anywhere (or call them on the phone...)

Good find and cudos to Dave Benson for his fine work through many years for his fellow hams, and for letting you know that he had one surprise left - just for Gil.

73 de RadioRay  ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

QuoteThis and a smart phone should be all that you need to run PSK from anywhere

I didn't think of that, what a great idea!
Rig control might be a challenge, given the serial connector on the Warbler. A serial to USB adapter might work though..

Gil.

gil

Hello,

I am starting on the Warbler NOW! What a nice kit, compared to the BitX20 I just flunked.. Dave Benson always did a great job on his kits. The board is awesome. I was also very happy to see that a case was included. I might be on the air tonight on 20m PSK-31!

Gil.

gil

Well, it took a while, but I am on the air with the PSK-20 Warbler, running Digipan on Linux through Wine.  PSK Reporter (https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html) reported me in Wisconsin, 1138 miles away. Not bad for 3W!

The laptop is an EeePC, 12V power input, so I can run it in the field along with the Warbler..

Gil.

gil

No QSO tonight, but at three to four in the morning on 20m, no surprise, though I did see quite a few conversations. There always seems to be someone on PSK31 on 20. I'll attach the map of my online reports.

After CW I would put PSK31 as the next best prepper mode. Like CW it offers some privacy and is very efficient. With CW though you don't have to lug around a computer and a bigger battery.

Success! I just got YV6BFE in Venezuela ;D Not that far, but again, with about 3W, I'm happy. Europe should be no problem during the day.

Time to get some sleep!

Gil.

RadioRay

As I understand it, the warbler takes audio in/out and is not an audio CODEC or CAT controlled. So, you could use a four contact phone audio plug to feed the Warbler. PTT (if not VOX) can be a sample switch. I ran PSK like that for most of my first year.

Your Goal-Zero should keep you charged in the field and you probably have your phone anyway.

RadioRay ...- .-
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Hello,

I was wrong about the serial control. That was for the Warbler 80. The PSK-20 only has AF-in and AF-out. It is a simple LSB transceiver. You could actually send voice with it through the computer sound card. I found an article about a guy who added a DDS VFO to cover the whole 20m band and USB for use with other digital modes: http://4sqrp.com/resource/dds_psk20/dds_psk20.htm. I did contact him but he doesn't have those details anymore. Anyway, I am happy with it as is.

Gil.