W1AW

Started by John Galt, March 14, 2014, 09:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWARadio

I've worked /7 on 12 and 10 meters. Two different operators, though. One in Washington state and the other was Arizona, I believe. I don't go hunting them down, I just happened to come across them both. On 12, he was calling and calling CQ and no one was answering. Almost the same on 10m. So I guess I lucked out and found them both as they just started calling CQ.
So long, and thanks for all the fish

John Galt

Same here.  I just came across him calling CQ and he sounded kinda lonely so I went for it.

I guess now I need to figure out LOTW so I can see my QSLs.  I think I made some strides today.

NWARadio, the other day you made a post that you were getting on the radio and were going to be on xxx.xx frequency.  I think I'd like to see that more often so that members here can make some contacts that might develop into regular schedules.  I guess the question is really for Gil in that is it OK to do that on a regular basis and, if so, where to post it, forum-wise.

RichardSinFWTX

I worked /7 on 10m today too.  I was really wanting to catch /8 from Ohio today; but the bands were crap.  :(

I did work Holland, Slovenia and Spain though; but the wind and cold were more than I wanted to deal with so I quit and packed up and went back inside after an hour and a half.

John Galt

Well I just got /8 on 20 meters - 4th try in a pretty big pileup.  I'm surprised I'm getting in so consistently.  There's certainly nothing powerful about my set up.  100 watts over a do-it-all antenna that's really way too low.  My only guess is that my voice is so obnoxious that they just want me to go away!   ::)

cockpitbob

A good,skilled pile-up operator is fun to listen to.  They'll try to take things in order, even if it means ignoring the guy blasting him with 1,500W in order to get the QRP guy down in the noise.  More than once I've had them litteraly ask me 10 times in a row trying to get my call.  He didn't get frustrated but was enjoying the challenge of completing a difficult QSO.  It's usually the special event stations I've seen be good like that.

NWARadio

John Galt, I'm trying to figure out LOTW as well. I'm not liking it even a little bit. Right now I'm sitting on the couch filling out my new qsl cards to send out. I think I like that the best, but I know I need to learn the LOTW thing. And I have every intention of setting aside a certain time every weekend to try and make contact with folks on here. I think I'll try to find a time during Friday nights for 20/40/80 and a time during Saturday day for 10, since techs have privelages there. I think I will try to post by Wednesday when I'm going to be on so folks have time to make plans. I'll monitor this site as well during my CQ call to see who can hear me but I can't hear. I might even post a link to my facebook in case anyone wants to friend me. Just listen for kilo foxtrot five tango juliet charlie!

John Galt

Anytime you are going to be available and want to set up a contact, let me know.  I can be available Friday evening and my weekend schedule is flexible so just let me know.  I think it would be great to have some regular contacts with the great folks on the forum.

gil

QuoteJohn Galt, I'm trying to figure out LOTW as well. I'm not liking it even a little bit.

Same here. For some reason Ham radio web sites and applications are the worst in the business, and LOTW is a prime example of a horrible user interface. Why that is I do not know. There are exceptions, I think... Maybe... Even successfully opening an account on LOTW is an achievement. As to understanding how it works, that is another story. I still have no clue, and I'm a programmer by trade. I will say one thing, if I turned in that kind of work, I'd end-up homeless within a few months..

Gil.

John Galt

Apparently, LOTW is pretty concerned about site security.  I'm not a programmer but I noticed that they use the same kind of certificate download, etc that the FBI does for the eNICS.  I'm an FFL and their(FBI) security is a pain.  LOTW uses something similar it seems. 

On a side note, Gil, if I want to make a post that I'm going to be getting on in case anyone wants to make a contact, where should I post that?  General Discussion, Nets, TX ...? 

KK0G

LOTW is one of the worst and most user unfriendly websites I've ever had the displeasure of trying to navigate. In the end I decided that the benefit to pain in the ass ratio clearly wasn't worth it to me.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

John Galt

Quote from: KK0G on March 18, 2014, 08:52:24 PM
I decided that the benefit to pain in the ass ratio clearly wasn't worth it to me.

Quotable!  I'm pretty well at the same spot it's just that I guess I'm just needing to see my call sign listed.  That's certainly not the focus of my interest but what the heck, I need to dip my toe in all the pools to see what I like.

NWARadio

I really like doing things with pen and paper here. I like doing it the way so many years ago did. So, I keep a paper log and a qrz log and I send out qsl cards. Well, I will as soon as the mail runs tomorrow since I just got my cards in the mail today. Can't wait to find someone to restore my late '60s Drake set so I can use some vintage tech on the air.

RichardSinFWTX

I just got my first batch of QSL cards a couple weeks ago.  I need to send out a few, John Galt being one of them. 

I might be available this weekend as well if anyone else wants to get on the air. 

I've been using the tQSL software to upload my logs to LOTW and I guess I'm in the minority.  Once I got used to it I was OK with it.  I keep my QSO file in a folder on my SkyDrive account so I can access it from any machine that I've got tQSL installed on.

Speaking of LOTW is anyone doing the ARRL Centennial Challenge where you try to work the W1AW stations in each of the states?

cockpitbob

I'm working the W1AW states, but just for fun, not as a mission.  I also figure I should at some point get my WAS certificate, and that helps.  However, at least on CW the pile-ups are getting rediculous and with my 100W rig in the shop I'm using my 4W QRP rig, so it'll take forever to get through.  In short, if there's pile-up I skip it.

NWARadio

KF5RHI, maybe you can walk some of us through the LOTW. I got my certificate installed, but now I don't know how to start putting in my contacts.