Homebrew Solar Panel

Started by KK0G, April 28, 2013, 10:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

I started building this solar panel back in February and decided to drag it out of the closet and try it out in the sun. I still need to build a frame/enclosure for it but so far it seems to be charging a couple of my SLA batteries that I use for QRP work quite nicely.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Great, what do you use for a charge controller?

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on April 28, 2013, 11:06:53 AM
Great, what do you use for a charge controller?

Gil.

Me  8)

This is as far as I've got in this project, I don't even have a blocking diode in the circuit, just the panel hooked directly to the batteries so I have to monitor it to prevent overcharging. The whole project is more of learning process than anything, my goal is to get some real commercial panels for a practical solar system but for now this will do, besides the solar cells were dirt cheap. Chance are I'll get a commercial charge controller also but I may homebrew one for the time being.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

underhill

I use a solar charge controller that I purchased as a kit.

It is good as it is for up to 20 A, designed to fit inside a square electrical outlet box, to give you the size.

It's a hobbyist site, lots of info available, the SCC3 itself is extendable, by adding power fets to 80A, there is some documentation on the site.

http://www.cirkits.com/scc3/

Price is pretty good, it is in a kit form, easy build, no surface mount parts.

I have a couple of them, one has been in continuous service for my station for over 7 years, RF quiet as well.

Allan

gil

Quotethe SCC3

I built that one too!

Gil.