Saturday night meet up? (3/22/2014)

Started by NWARadio, March 21, 2014, 10:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vwflyer

gil

Waoh, I was listening and even called you. Usually I get Texas really well..

Gil.

vwflyer

Like I said, the stars aren't aligned tonight.

gil

We'll try another time... I'll stay on 7240 for a while in case someone else reads this...

Gil.

vwflyer

Quote from: gil on March 22, 2014, 08:53:55 PM
Waoh, I was listening and even called you. Usually I get Texas really well..

Gil.
Well if everyone has given up we could switch to cw and see if it makes a difference but if we hear absolutely nada in SSB then CW probably wont save it.

John Galt

Quote from: vwflyer on March 22, 2014, 08:55:47 PM
Like I said, the stars aren't aligned tonight.

I think this sums it up.  Normally Florida on 40, Arkansas and Texas on NVIS are everywhere.  It just didn't want to work tonight.  But I thank everyone for the QSOs even as limited as they were.  I am not going to give up!!  Hopefully, we can get to the point where we have regular ragchews or nets.

Special thanks to NWAradio for getting this going and to Gil for providing the forum for it.

Time for a cold brew...   8)

John Galt

vwflyer

I just talked to W1AW portable five in NM on 40m and he gave me a RST of 59 but you know how that goes.

gil

QuoteGil, what's your call?

Call "Gil," I'll reply with my call sign if I hear you..

Gil.

gil

I heard and talked to John K4SQC in GA, part of some "QSO Party" thing going on... Still on 7240.

Gil.

vwflyer

I can hear K4SQC  pretty well but not everyone he's talking to. I missed you gil. Not sure if it was due to the crying baby in my hamshack though.

gil

Next time  :)

I'm going to park on 7030 now, CW.

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: vwflyer on March 22, 2014, 08:43:02 PM
..............I wonder if CW would have done better.
DING DING DING DING............. I think we have a winner!! 8)

You just knew I was gonna chime in sooner or later about the power of CW. ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

vwflyer

The skip just seemed to be unusually short last night. On 17m I could only reach out about 600 miles. East Texas came in but Georgia and Florida wouldn't. On 20m and 40m I couldn't even reach east Texas. I made some contacts with stations about 200 miles away on 40m last night but that's as far as I could get. Kind of unusual for that time of day.
It's too bad really. I was looking forward to chatting with some of you. We'll have to try it again soon.
Even though we didn't have much success I still enjoyed it and I think it was good practice for me. I don't do SSB skeds. I usually just talk to whoever is coming in clearly so I'm letting the conditions dictate who I talk with. The more I try to contact specific people at specific distances the more I'll understand the capabilities and limitations of my gear.

gil

It worked too! Got Ireland and Sweden using 5W. LSB simply did not work, even though my battery was decently charged and I was putting out 10W.

Voice requires quite a bit of power to cut through, 20-times more than CW. That's why SSB radios usually output 100W. Of course 5W SSB works too, but so does 100mW CW! Sometimes...

We'll try again some time soon.

Gil.