New Prepper Ham Here

Started by Gramaton550, March 31, 2013, 01:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gramaton550

I've had my ticket since tuesday this week, and I have finally got my communication prep started.

Geek

Congratulations!  Have you decided what kind of radio you want?

Gramaton550

I have two radios a Yaesu FT-60R and a Baofeng UV-5A the Yaesu is my mobile and the Baofeng is my base. In KC there are many repeaters that are active here.

Geek

Excellent choices.  You might want to post a review of each when you get a chance.  I am new myself, but have found the folks here to be extremely helpful.  There is a nice mix of relative newbies like us and guys that know a lot about radio communications.

Gramaton550

Will do I like the Yaesu and Baofeng equally, yet the Yaesu is technically a better radio but the Baofeng has nice features.

Tlhlcdr

cockpitbob

If the SHTF really hard the repeaters will go down pretty quickly.  A first fun project would be to put a J-pole antenna on the roof or in the attic.  Then with the mobile rig see what your range is on simplex.  Even a good HT antenna sucks compared to a full size one up high. 

Gramaton550

I agree that is why I'm looking into getting a slimjim antenna for on the run use that will work with my Yaesu. With some 550 cord and a tree and a rock it will extend my distance.

cockpitbob

I have 2 of these roll-up J-pole antennas.  They are cheap($27 including shipping), roll up small, weigh almost nothing and work great.  They come with an SMA gender changer so they will work with the Yaesu or Baofeng.

They are sold by Dr. Edmund Fong (WB6IQN), Professor at U.C. Berkely and made by his students with the tiny profit going to school projects.  He uses a different and apparently better approach to getting 2 bands from the J-pole.  It's been published in QST and a few other places.  He's a super nice guy and answers emails on the smallest of orders (where does he find the time?). 

gil

Hello,

You guys check in on antennas board, I have a Slim Jim antenna described there for 2m, which works great!
Actually, here it is: http://radiopreppers.com/index.php/topic,4.0.html

Gil.

White Tiger

If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

Joe

Welcome Gramatron550 !!!

RUN, RUN KNOW, DON'T LOOK BACK !!!   ;D   I remeber when I had just some mobiles. You will start reading the post on here. The next thing you know you are learning code, ordering radio kit's and assembling them.

But this place is great, everyone here is is very helpful and knowledgeable.

73 Joe

Jim Boswell

Welcome to the Group!!

There are some smart folks here. Everyone has different needs, locations and conditions. Don't try to invent the wheel, just see what works for others. This weekend I will help teach a radio "blitz" class at New Mexico Tech. All hams need to encourage new amateurs every way they can. If we don't help build new amateurs, there will be no future for amateur radio.

73'S  KA5SIW

2MT350

wavin gramaton, welcome to the forum :D

KW4HKY

HT is an awesome tool but the rubber duck is next to useless.

Couple that with 5 watts and you are severely limited. Install an out door base and buy a jumpet so you can attach THE HT to it.

I highly recommend a 50 watt mobile to use as a base. They are cheaper than the FT60 R.