Preppers Calling Frequency.

Started by gil, February 16, 2017, 04:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ6KR

In the end we can't trick physics, so if we want to talk, we will have to adjust the frequencies to the required distances. Even having one Freq. per band, would already make encounters petty likely. Now imagine doing the planning via WinLink before and everyone ist in the "net" :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

gil

80m is certainly a much needed band. I would like to start with one band. No need to add more right from the start if nobody uses the first one... The last time we tried to do something of that nature it didn't work... So let's start with 40m. My Windom won't be up until probably the third week of March. In the mean time, we can discuss a frequency to be used on all modes, pros and cons. I propose 7100kHz. Opinions?
If we can make a few contacts and promote the frequency, we'll move on to 80m next.

Gil.

DJ6KR

As said before, I am in. I will give it a try on my next /p trip with PSK31 and maybe SSB Voice. 7110 kHz is the center of IARU Region 1 Emergency Comms, and 7090 kHz is the QRP Center, so we would be in a great neighborhood :) All modes are ok there and most Radio can go up to that point. So from my point of view: It's a yes!

DJ6KR

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

cockpitbob

Hi Guys, work and family lfe have had me A.W.O.L. for a while but I'm seeing a little free time.  Good to see the activity here.

7.100MHz sounds good.  Looking at the ARRL band plan chart I see something interesting.
QuotePhone and Image modes are permitted between 7.025 and 7.100MHz for FCC licensed stations in ITU regions 1 and 3 and ...in Region 2 West of 130degrees West...
.  130degrees West is west of the California coast so I guess no SSB for me on 7.100.  That's just fine with me.

gil

Bob, I don't remember that! So, 7103 would allow SSB?

Gil

cockpitbob

Look in the lower left corner of this chart.  Hopefully one of the experts here can tell me I'm interpreting it wrong.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band%20Chart/Hambands_color.pdf
Also note the last sentence:  "These exemptions do not apply to stations in the continental U.S."

In the upper right corner it says "CW operation is permitted throughout all amateur bands."  Would something just above 7.175MHz make more sense?

Idunno.  It's pretty confusing :o

scarr

The issue there is that the US 40M allocation is larger than what we have in Europe, so the CW/Data portion is correspondingly larger. Ultimately though it's just a band plan and using 7.100 for SSB might be frowned upon by the ARRL, it's not illegal. The IARU R2 bandplan indicates 7.103L should be fine: http://www.iaru-r2.org/documents/explorer/files/Plan%20de%20bandas%20%7C%20Band-plan/R2%20Band%20Plan%202016.pdf

Ignore the above - I was wrong. As outlined by Quietguy in post below - it's actually contained in FCC Part 97 regulations.

Gil is right, while additional freqs would be nice - let's try and get one up and running first.

I would love to eventually see it evolving to additional freqs and having the equivalent to the old maritime watch periods so weak stations, or just stations which are trying to conserve their power, know they'll have certain times when we'll be making a deliberate effort to hear them.

gil

It is confusing :o If it's just the band-plan it is just a suggestion. Who cares about the ARRL, they break FCC regulations all the time. The ARRL is more of a contest and big manufacturers promoting agency now, not a message relaying one. They do publish good material, but that's it. They're not the frequency police.

Gil.

Quietguy

No, it isn't an ARRL Band Plan, it is in the FCC Part 97 regulations,  "§97.305   Authorized emission types".  No 40 meter phone from the continental US below 7.125 KHz.  I took this straight from a government web site which has nothing to do with the ARRL:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=336ab7469b61ecbfa15086dbf1bf2c59&rgn=div5&view=text&node=47:5.0.1.1.6&idno=47#se47.5.97_1301

Edit to add:  this link takes you to Paragraph 97.301 which details the limits for each ITU region.  Scroll down to Paragraph 97.305 for details.  Although the entry "7.075-7.100 MHz    Phone, image" appears to authorize Phone, footnote 97.307(f)(11) takes it away for the continental US:

Quote(11) Phone and image emissions may be transmitted only by stations located in ITU Regions 1 and 3, and by stations located within ITU Region 2 that are west of 130° West longitude or south of 20° North latitude.

Wally

scarr

Quote from: Quietguy on February 22, 2017, 06:49:08 PM
No, it isn't an ARRL Band Plan, it is in the FCC Part 97 regulations,  "§97.305   Authorized emission types".  No 40 meter phone from the continental US below 7.125 KHz.  I took this straight from a government web site which has nothing to do with the ARRL:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=336ab7469b61ecbfa15086dbf1bf2c59&rgn=div5&view=text&node=47:5.0.1.1.6&idno=47#se47.5.97_1301

Edit to add:  this link takes you to Paragraph 97.301 which details the limits for each ITU region.  Scroll down to Paragraph 97.305 for details.  Although the entry "7.075-7.100 MHz    Phone, image" appears to authorize Phone, footnote 97.307(f)(11) takes it away for the continental US:

Quote(11) Phone and image emissions may be transmitted only by stations located in ITU Regions 1 and 3, and by stations located within ITU Region 2 that are west of 130° West longitude or south of 20° North latitude.

Wally

Thank you for the clarification - that settles it. Will amend my earlier post!

It does strike me as odd though, so that leaves ~75kHz on 40M for phone contacts between US stations and those of us over in R1.

It appears Canada shares data/voice above 7.040: http://wp.rac.ca/wp-content/uploads/files/pdf/CdnBandPlan.jpg

gil

QuoteNo 40 meter phone from the continental US below 7.125

Darn. Well, I really want a frequency that can be used with all modes from anywhere. Back to the drawing board, but we stay on 40m. Too bad because some small CW rigs won't go as high as 7125.

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on February 23, 2017, 06:45:54 AM
QuoteNo 40 meter phone from the continental US below 7.125

Darn. Well, I really want a frequency that can be used with all modes from anywhere. Back to the drawing board, but we stay on 40m. Too bad because some small CW rigs won't go as high as 7125.

Gil.

I'm not sure such a frequency legally exists. I don't have a band chart in front of me so I'm just going off of my feeble memory but; it clearly can't be in the CW sub-band as obviously CW is the only allowed emission; it also can't be in the CW/Digital sub-band as phone isn't allowed there; and finally I don't think it can't be in the phone sub-band as I believe digital is not allowed there (correct me if I'm wrong). Fortunately CW is the wild card since it is allowed everywhere on all bands but I'm not sure there's a spot where phone and digital are both allowed.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Quietguy

Quote from: KK0G on February 23, 2017, 08:37:54 AMI'm not sure such a frequency legally exists.

Only on 160 and 60 meters as far as the US is concerned.  Attached is a screen shot of the HF portion of the table I linked above.  Note that 80 meters is defined as 3.525-3.600 MHz and 75 meters is defined as 3.800-4.000 MHz.  40 meters is divided into two segments, 7.025-7.125 MHz and 7.175-7.300 MHz.  You are right, digital modes are not permitted in the phone allocations.

I believe this was one of the reasons the ARRL requested a rule change where the FCC would regulate by bandwidth rather than by mode, but I don't know what happened to that proposal.  There was a lot of objection because some people said they were just trying to turn all the bands over to "robot" digital stations.

Wally

Edit to add:  Full Members can't post images without approval now?  It says my screenshot is waiting for approval.

gil

QuoteOnly on 160 and 60 meters as far as the US is concerned.

That's a shame. I wish there was a frequency allowing all modes on 40m. We'll have to reduce modes then. We can settle on a frequency for both voice and CW. It would have to be above 7125 and below 7200. Digital could be used for dire emergencies only but practice would remain on the digital section of band plans. I would suggest USB as the preferred voice mode to allow for the use of green radios. It would be good to find a source for crystals within those 75kHz for rock-bound radios...

Gil.

RichardSinFWTX

40m works for me as well though I'm not on it as much as I should be.  I tend to hang out more on 20m and here lately on 30m doing JT-65.

I like the idea of having an AmRRON-esque type of SOI.  It will help keep everyone's heads about them when the manure impacts upon the oscillating ventilator.