Q Codes, Z Codes and Battery Life

Started by swxx, August 23, 2017, 03:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swxx

.thread went off topic. Cant delete.

gil

Not a bad idea... I only know a handful of Q codes, shame on me, but we can of course print them out!

Gil.

cockpitbob

I view things from the standpoint of a person with a crappy memory for details and too busy to deeply immerse myself in anything these days.  Given that, the simpler the better for me.  I'm definitely not going to learn a new set of Q-codes now.  But if there was a long term SHTF situation, long enough that we had time to get organized and establish nets, already having a set of prepper specific Q-codes would be handy.

Quote from: swxx on August 23, 2017, 06:03:00 AM
Q codes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_code
I've never seen that list of aeronautical Q-codes before.  It's a way too long for any mere mortal to remember(QAA - QNZ).  Besides, it has some conflicts with codes I was taught by an OM.  For instance:

QFT:  Please send with other foot.
QLF:  Please send with left foot
QAK:  There's a duck on my antenna.
QFO:  Go away (F-off)
QTF:  I have a question (variation on WTF)
88:    Two fat ladies

RadioRay

Here are a couple :

QPP : I will be away from the key for a two minute break.

QBM : I will be 5-10 minutes away from the key.

QOOOPS!  Never mind.
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

scarr

I love RadioRay and cockpitbobs Q-Codes - I can't see myself forgetting QPP in a hurry  ;D

SOS has two less well known cousins in radiotelegraphy - XXX and TTT.

XXX is the equivalent to PAN PAN - it's an urgent/important message (you can still hear this in use of HF by Russian military CW stations)
TTT  is the morse equivalent to a Sécurité voice message - it's a safety message/advisory

They're easy to remember and useful, but eh, unfortunately I think a lot of people would get the wrong idea if you started calling XXX on the ham bands!