Ever thought, "This would be a good time for the S to HTF"?

Started by Frosty, March 30, 2013, 04:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frosty

Last time I had this thought was last month, heading a couple hundred miles to meet some buddies to go ice fishing for the weekend.  I live fairly deep in the woods, and decided to take a little used (but 20 mile long) shortcut to get out to the highway.  As I'm driving alone in the truck down a deserted and snow covered road, I started thinking what might happen if a deer jumped out or I slid off the road and got stranded.  Considering my current survival assets, I had a dozen NY Strips, two cases of beer, 2 lbs of Elk jerky, warm clothes and fishing gear out the wazoo, and my .357 with two speed loaders as "extras" for this trip.  This in addition to the normal stuff I carry in the truck, including a 6 gallon gas can, single burner Coleman stove and fuel, water, canned food, a 10/22 and a hundred rounds, first aid kits, candles/sterno, tarps, blankets, tools, and other misc. equipment.

Started thinking that getting stranded might be more fun than the fishing trip.  Turn off the Yaesu, wait a few days for the SAR team to find me, and ask them as they approached, "You guys must be lost, need any help?  Just making dinner, steak, beans, and beer - hungry?  No?  Well at least come in and have some coffee...".

Fess up.  What/when did you hope the S would HTF cause you were uber prepared at that point? 

Geek

Frosty

Quote from: Geek on March 30, 2013, 05:46:41 PM
How long have you had this problem?   :)

Long as I can remember.  I made a pretty cool first-aid kit out of an old tackle box in 7th grade.  Used the ipecac syrup once to get sent home sick (no joke).