Setting up regular skeds - do it now, not after SHTF

Started by KK0G, July 17, 2013, 11:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archangel320420

Hey!  You TWO!  You two know who you are!!!  :)
I tried to break in continously tonight on 3534 khz, but you guys did not let me.

You guys use KN at the end of each transmission which means "Go ahead specific (only you) station"  Tough to break in when that is sent :)

May you both get fleas. So ha!

KK0G

Quote from: Archangel320420 on January 29, 2014, 10:54:06 PM
Hey!  You TWO!  You two know who you are!!!  :)
I tried to break in continously tonight on 3534 khz, but you guys did not let me.

You guys use KN at the end of each transmission which means "Go ahead specific (only you) station"  Tough to break in when that is sent :)

May you both get fleas. So ha!

Sorry, didn't hear you - likely because we're usually so fast to turn it over 8) . I'll try to remember to leave a little room in there.

Unfortunately your curse against me probably won't work as I believe I already have fleas.......... or maybe it's just irritation from the bikini wax. ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KK0G

Thanks for checking in tonight Terry, great signal.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on February 03, 2014, 11:11:50 PM
Thanks for checking in tonight Terry, great signal.
+1 I recall; good sig from Terry. I try to use [KN] only in a couple of circumstances. First, when initially establishing & giving 1st sig rpt, and then when signing & listening out for his final. Usually it's just [BK] - which I've only used in civ conversations, or more properly [K]. We'll try to do better. Sked has been sporadic what with other commitments on both parts, real life intruding.

As to the fleas, Terry you should know best they're in hibernation and can't be bothered right now.  ;)

C'monnnnnnn spring!

KC9TNH

Just some updates on the chat that KK0G and I have kept going and a general "howdy."

As the cosmos realigns we may be looking to migrate back to 40m. 80m has proven through the winter to be a very good band for us generally in the winter. Performance-wise, the fade at about :20m into the sked time has been very predictable and, as mentioned, we get chat time as well as a window in which we could quickly pass pre-formatted traffic if needed. It will certainly be our alternate; during the QRP contests that go on 80m is much less populated, but works well for our distance.  KK0G's new rig with its massive power makes for easy copy usually at both ends. He did a solid build on that.

Both of us have other lives going on & I've delved back into guitar in a big way, resurrecting a long love of instrumental surf music while Chris takes the bad weather & makes lemons out of lemonade (translation: overtime buys lots of AVGAS for when winter has boogied elsewhere and it's time to slip the surly bonds).

The primary premise of the sked has worked though; not there/no fault, but absence does prompt inquiry from the other end. As Chris mentioned, it's too late to do it after SHTF - so be the ant not the grasshopper.

72 all!
  8)
de kc9tnh . .

KK0G

Yep, can't wait until we can get back to 40 meters. Although 80 meters has been very good to us through the winter, nothing quite beats the armchair copy of 40 meters that seemed to last for hours on end. 40 meters also makes portable operation far more feasible.

Having a regular nightly sked has also had a few interesting side effects; through out my ham career I've always been active in spurts of a few months then inactive for a month or two, kind of a normal cycle for me depending on what other interests in life catch my curiosity..............SQUIRREL!!!  8) . The sked has kept me active on a daily basis.

The other effect has been gaining a friendship. No we haven't been best friends since we were kids, and we don't tell war stories of our days in college together, hell we've never even met each other face to face, but there is a genuine friendship there. The inquiry that Wes mentioned following a prolonged absence of either of us is out of genuine concern for the other. My main concern is keeping Wes' sending fingers from getting to callused up from guitar picking ;D .

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on March 11, 2014, 09:04:51 AMMy main concern is keeping Wes' sending fingers from getting to callused up from guitar picking ;D .
Equal-opportunity. Left-hand callouses = good. Right-hand, picking with arthritis & paddle operation. Division of labor. 2 can yield embarassing moments, one of those on the air making for -.--   . . . . . . . .  etc.
Been fun tho'.
Gotta run, pair of EL84's are warming up.
8)

John Galt

Maybe we need a separate forum for skeds.

I can see it now:

Radio Preppers » General Category » Skeds

SNPH1 seeking like minded individuals to enter into casual but regular contacts.  Long term relationships a plus but not required.  Tranny2 preferred as SWLs3 need not apply.  Interested parties should post picture of their rig.

1- Southern NVIS Phone Ham
2- Tranceiver
3- Short Wave Listeners

;D ;D :o

gil

QuoteMaybe we need a separate forum for skeds.

Well we have one for Nets, but I will add "Nets and skeds.."

Gil.