Setting up regular skeds - do it now, not after SHTF

Started by KK0G, July 17, 2013, 11:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

When I am working you, there is a Spanish language net every night, just about 7110 LSB, putting their voice products all over us.  I have heard Cubans and others, though tonight, one guy was talking Ontario and had a signal stronger than the shortwave broadcasts here.

The only trouble with low on forty meters are the contesters...

>>>====>  My new off-center-fed-dipole is getting rave reviews, so I look forward to connecting with you fellows on the HF bands with my ionosphere destroying FOUR WATTS!

>de RadioRay ..._._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on August 10, 2013, 01:47:49 AM
When I am working you, there is a Spanish language net every night, just about 7110 LSB, putting their voice products all over us.  I have heard Cubans and others, though tonight, one guy was talking Ontario and had a signal stronger than the shortwave broadcasts here.

The only trouble with low on forty meters are the contesters...

>>>====>  My new off-center-fed-dipole is getting rave reviews, so I look forward to connecting with you fellows on the HF bands with my ionosphere destroying FOUR WATTS!

>de RadioRay ..._._

Contesters was one of the reasons I originally thought of going higher in the band up near the old novice portion, that and in my experience it tends to be a little less crowded. We're going to have to face the fact that 40 meters is a pretty popular band for CW and can be crowded at times, especially in the evening. I really need to get the 30 meter  module for my KX1, at this time of year propagation between most of us favors that band and it's less crowded.

Be careful with all that power Ray, 4 watts could do some serious damage! That's why I keep power down to a sensible level of only 3 watts 8) .
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on August 10, 2013, 11:38:51 AMBe careful with all that power Ray, 4 watts could do some serious damage! That's why I keep power down to a sensible level of only 3 watts 8) .
(Remote, post- 1st day's fishing; pre- allucaneat tacos.)
Do you think the QRO KX3's running 12w from a pwr supply are the reason the sun's poles are flipping? Or is it the +40 contesters on low 40m?

73 es TTFN
. .

KK0G

UPDATE:

We've been on 7.037 for over a week and a half now and it's working out well. I think we only had to QSY twice and that was only up 1 kHz. I'm noticing a definite trend of stronger signals which I'm sure is due to better propagation from the earlier sunset as summer starts closing up on us (NNNOOOOOOOO!!! :( ).

Once again I'll extend the invitation for other members to join in........... we won't bite, I promise.  8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

If I wasn't having problems with my end-fed at home (I suspect water in the coax), you would hear me (hopefully)! I will be listening on my magnetic loop, but being inside and only on the second floor, it is less efficient...

Gil.

KK0G

I'll keep an ear out for you Gil, propagation between us should be improving due to the previously mentioned end of .................... oh I can't bring myself to say it again ;D .

KK0G

Archangel320420

Will monitor 7034 Khz. I think Gil is right on about CW. Increases battery life, simple equipment and gets a signal through, no printer necessary just a paper and pencil. An added benefit is that I doubt NSA and or even the military use this mode much since the cold war enemy forces went to higher tech equipment dumping most of their CW gear and losing the skil;. For this reason I think CW give some OpSec, at least at the beginning of a shtf event. Some people never see the picture. It is up to a few of us to be a sort of radio corps. I would say most hams don't get it, just like most citizens won't get it until reality comes and smacks them up long side their heads. We must have a corps of radio ops to teach others how to do it if a real world event happens. The annual Field Day event is especially useful and we should all participate. My 2 cents worth.

gil

I certainly agree Terry. I have never seen a field day, but have seen pictures and videos. Some of these guys have somewhat portable setups, but not really. I understand ultra-portability isn't the goal of field day, but here is my point about QRP CW rigs and prepping: For the first time I took a radio on a camping trip a few months ago. I was overloaded with food and water but made it to camp after a few miles of hiking in very hot Florida weather and no shade. The rig I took with me fit in a shirt pocket. I just had eight AA cells for power and a small solar panel. It turned out that those batteries lasted a whole week of daily use! One to two hours a day. The weight of the whole station was negligible. Had I opted to carry a bigger radio with a bigger battery, it would have been hell and taken twice as long to get there. Now imagine being in an emergency situation... There are a lot of things you might have to carry if moving is necessary and driving is not an option. Every extra pound becomes very painful. Carrying a 100Lbs backpack might be fine for an 18yo soldier in top condition, but let's face it, most guys here are not going to do that. I struggled with 80Lbs, and won't try that stunt again.. That's why I love those tiny CW rigs. 5W CW supposedly performs as well as 100W SSB. How can you beat that? I wish more preppers learned Morse code because it isn't just for radios. A flashlight or laser pointer can be used to communicate over miles with little chance of interception. It's also nice to have a skill that at some point might be needed, even traded.. I've had conversations in Morse that would not have been possible with any other mode, period. I'm slow, so what? the message goes through.. When all fails, the simplest systems are the most reliable. Reliability and performance is what you get with CW. The low cost is the cherry on top of the cake. And who knows, using Morse might help prevent premature senility..  :o even though long term use in some of our members might have created other "issues..."  ;D

Gil.

Archangel320420

Hey Gil, Yep humping battle gear 1,2 and 3 plus a radio is asking a lot from a man of any age. I have done some humping. As of late it was only with about 60 pounds plus a small handheld and I can handle it pretty well even at 65 years of age. Had I had a rifle and say 300 rounds with me I would be pushing 90 lbs or so. Add a couple batteries and HF gear it would easily be over 100 lbs. I could do it when I was younger perhaps. Anyway, send me your callsign in an email and I will certainly listen for you. I often monitor the QRP freqs listening for you guys out there on mountain tops and camping somewhere. I hang out on 7.030 mostly and 14.060 Mhz. Since I saw this collection of posts, I have been monitoring the 7.043 frequency. This is a great website you have started. Thanks ever so much. It was/is needed desperately. Communications is key to survival and victory in most situations.  73 Terry

Archangel320420

Correction:  I have been monitoring 7.034  not 7.043. I will keep an ear on 7.030 and 14.060 as well.

KK0G

Quote from: Archangel320420 on September 02, 2013, 02:31:46 PM
Correction:  I have been monitoring 7.034  not 7.043. I will keep an ear on 7.030 and 14.060 as well.

FYI; if you're looking for Wes and me you'll find us on 7.037.

KK0G

gil

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on September 02, 2013, 03:34:45 PM
And be not dismayed at the digital that fires up regularly at :15 before the hour. He/she must have a sked but is nearly always gone by the top. It's a free-wheeling sked for Chris & I; we're there unless life gets in the way. Doesn't last too long; QSB often after about 20min but it's a slot that has largely worked out. And at our distance even low-power on 40m is like stealing.

KK0G

Quote from: KC9TNH on September 03, 2013, 09:14:24 AM
Quote from: KK0G on September 02, 2013, 03:34:45 PM
And be not dismayed at the digital that fires up regularly at :15 before the hour. He/she must have a sked but is nearly always gone by the top. It's a free-wheeling sked for Chris & I; we're there unless life gets in the way. Doesn't last too long; QSB often after about 20min but it's a slot that has largely worked out. And at our distance even low-power on 40m is like stealing.

I usually hear him and a few others at times in the passband of my KX1, even when cranked down as tight as it will go, but very seldom is it bad enough to cause a problem.

KK0G

Rob_ma

Anyone interested in a Friday morning SSB sked? I work from home most of the time on that day and could leave the radio on during the morning (~8-10am ET) for a quick check in.

- Rob