Keep the Kenwood or sell?

Started by NWARadio, April 06, 2014, 02:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWARadio

I've got a Baofeng UV-5R and a Kenwood TM-V71A. I've seriously considered selling the Kenwood since the Baofeng does the same thing. Any suggestions or comments?
So long, and thanks for all the fish

vwflyer

I'd keep it. Two is one and one is none and the Kenwood is likely to outlast the Baofeng. That's just me talking, I can't get rid of anything.

Quietguy

I'd keep it too.  Although the Baofeng's seem to be great value, I can't help putting them in the disposable category.  It would be better to have a good solid backup that you should be able to rely on.

Wally

gil

I'll second that, keep it. The Baofeng works great but I have two and both have broken mic jacks now, and can't transmit without an external microphone. Not the same quality I suspect... Too bad because if the Uv-5R had good jacks, it would be just awesome.

Gil.

KK0G

Oh what the hell, I'll buck the trend........sell it and use the funds to buy a QRP CW rig.

Nah, just kidding, hang on to it. Unless you don't have a QRP CW rig and need the funds to pay for one ;D .
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

vwflyer

Quote from: KK0G on April 06, 2014, 09:40:45 PM
sell it and use the funds to buy a QRP CW rig.
I thought about selling something to fund the purchase of something else once. I quickly decided I'd do what I've always done, patiently excevate the couch cushions until I can afford to buy what I want without selling anything.

KK0G

Quote from: vwflyer on April 06, 2014, 11:01:13 PM
Quote from: KK0G on April 06, 2014, 09:40:45 PM
sell it and use the funds to buy a QRP CW rig.
I thought about selling something to fund the purchase of something else once. I quickly decided I'd do what I've always done, patiently excevate the couch cushions until I can afford to buy what I want without selling anything.
I used to be the same way but as I age I often wonder what in the hell the younger version of me was thinking when he purchased some of the things he did.  ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Kayden

There's no such thing as too many radios! Keep one in a coffee can in case of emergency, or keep one in the car and one at home. Between my wife and I, I have 4 HTs, 2 HF radios (one of them a boatanchor), and I almost bought myself another this weekend. I've experimented with all sorts of fun digital modes using my *HT's*, just to help ensure my PCs are setup correctly without having to actually transmit on HF. You can setup a quick little repeater with just 2 HTs, even.

Archangel320420