"Portable" Antennas

Started by KC9TNH, June 18, 2013, 03:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamewolf

Quote from: KC9TNH on June 18, 2013, 03:08:46 PM
Recently there has been some discussion on-line in other fora soliciting suggestions for "portable" antennas. Admittedly my idea of portable is thrown wire that travels in a ziploc bag. But, in the vein of never-say-never, there could be a time one isn't afoot all the time, or has some hirelings, and could tote something larger to their favorite spot . But the spot has no vertical structure of any kind, although there is the means to guy-off something if needed.

Does anyone here have experience with any of the popular push-up verticals or dipoles that could be toted in a bag under the arm and set up, say, on a beach somewhere?  The Buddipole is one common one I hear about; the Superpole is another. Buddipole (and Buddistick) have long-standing reputations; the other uses no coil clips but rather slides to adjust roughly for the band.

Just wondering if anyone has ever been in that situation, what was used, and what were the results.
Just to keep the size parameters reasonable, we're talking 20-17-15m, that kind of thing, 30m would be dessert. Antenna tuner is available.

Thanks!
:)

I'm getting together the parts to build a "vertical half rombic" antenna that needs no tuner for 10 thru 160 meter operation and can be used as a portable field antenna.  You can make it smaller if all you need it say 40 thru 10 or 30 thru 10 and it only needs one support for which I'll be using a 31' Jackite pole.  The antenna is fed at one end near the ground by a 9:1 unun and it terminated on the other end by a 470 ohm non inductive resistor to ground that is rated at least half the power of the transmitter's output.  Or you can terminate it with another 9:1 unun that goes to a 50 ohm dummy load.  For 10 thru 160 meters, the wire needs to be about 100' long but will work at shorter lengths with reduced efficiency or just use shorter lengths for higher bands if that's all you need.  Also in dry climates a counterpoise wire is laid out under the antenna and attached to the ground at each end.  Here's a good writeup on the antenna: http://www.korpi.biz/hr.pdf

Sailor

Why is it that every comm forum I visit, SGO is there pushing that shitty antenna?

Lamewolf

Quote from: cockpitbob on September 04, 2013, 10:27:50 PM
I'm enamored with 1/2 wave end feds and have had great results.  I love an antenna that fits in a ziploc, but they need trees.  What I really want to get into next is mag loop antennas.  Though a bit pricey, the AlexLoop Walkham covers 40M-10M at 10W CW and gets great reviews (5.0/5.0 from 36 reviews!).

I always take my tree with me !  Its a 31' long Jackite pole....

Lamewolf

Quote from: KC9TNH on June 18, 2013, 03:08:46 PM
Recently there has been some discussion on-line in other fora soliciting suggestions for "portable" antennas. Admittedly my idea of portable is thrown wire that travels in a ziploc bag. But, in the vein of never-say-never, there could be a time one isn't afoot all the time, or has some hirelings, and could tote something larger to their favorite spot . But the spot has no vertical structure of any kind, although there is the means to guy-off something if needed.

Does anyone here have experience with any of the popular push-up verticals or dipoles that could be toted in a bag under the arm and set up, say, on a beach somewhere?  The Buddipole is one common one I hear about; the Superpole is another. Buddipole (and Buddistick) have long-standing reputations; the other uses no coil clips but rather slides to adjust roughly for the band.

Just wondering if anyone has ever been in that situation, what was used, and what were the results.
Just to keep the size parameters reasonable, we're talking 20-17-15m, that kind of thing, 30m would be dessert. Antenna tuner is available.

Thanks!
:)

You know, I was just thinking about this and MFJ sells a 17' telescopic whip antenna that can be adjusted to full quarter wave on 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10 meters, and with a small loading coil at its base you could add 40 and 30 meters to it. 

gil

My Buddistick works well down to 30m.. 40m, not so much...

Gil.

cockpitbob

I use hamsticks on my car.  20M tunes and works great.  40M is useable, but doesn't like to tune.  I'm getting the idea that short whip antennas bottom out at 30-40Meters

Lamewolf

Quote from: cockpitbob on October 10, 2014, 02:27:29 PM
I use hamsticks on my car.  20M tunes and works great.  40M is useable, but doesn't like to tune.  I'm getting the idea that short whip antennas bottom out at 30-40Meters

I agree, the Hamsticks are ok on the higher bands but 30 meters and down they are crap.  I use an MP-1 portable antenna with a flexible stainless steel whip on it for portable operation and it works great on 40 - even on low power (10 watts from an old Yaesu FT-7) ssb.  I have a 24" x 3/8" stainless shaft on the bottom and a 52" stainless whip on top of the MP-1's adjustable coil.  For those that aren't familiar with the MP-1, its basically a manually adjustable screwdriver antenna made for portable operation but I use it mobile on a big 3 magnet mount.  They make an 80 meter add on coil for it but I like 40 for mobile operations.