Shack in a box

Started by NCGunDude, October 03, 2015, 12:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCGunDude

I recently added HF to my radio capabilities, acquiring an ICOM IC-7200, LDG automatic tuner, and built a multi-band dipole. My shack in a box is now complete with the exception of power distribution.  The kit can run using any external power source. It's a little on the heavy side, probably close to 100#. My scales won't go high enough for me and the kit  :D , but it's portable, one of my goals.

You can see the balanced feed line in the background. A 4:1 balun is part of the kit, and I have more wire on order to build a longer antenna than my 10 - 40m installation in the attic, for HOA reasons. I've been picking up good signals, and made voice and data contacts. Still learning. Short term goal is to build another antenna for field use and take the shack to a park for signal comparison to the QTH. I'm also considering a vertical 10 - 80m to setup on a tripod for regional HF nets on 80m.

2m is active in the area with numerous clubs and repeaters. I got involved in radio for prepping, like firearms, and made life long friends in the process.

I'm posting the pics in case anyone else is considering a shack in a box. The case is an 8U Gator case, with standard A/V racks. I added a heavy duty 3U drawer and 2 2U racks. Devices without mobile mounting brackets are held in place by velcro and adhesive backing.

RichardSinFWTX

Very nicely done, sir.   

RadioRay

That looks VERY good!

>RadioRay  ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

NCGunDude

Lamewolf

cockpitbob

Quote from: Lamewolf on December 08, 2015, 11:51:52 AM
I like this idea much better: http://www.portablezero.com/yaesu817.html
Apples and oranges, but those look nice.  Not real cheap, but the good stuff never is.

NCGunDude

Yeah, I need to setup a mobile comms station, easily portable. It may not include HF, just a go station for public service events, which are 144/440 in my area. 220 would be a nice addition, since I don't have that now.

Voice isn't great with my current setup, but I've been making a lot of digital contacts.

Lamewolf

Quote from: cockpitbob on December 08, 2015, 11:54:32 AM
Quote from: Lamewolf on December 08, 2015, 11:51:52 AM
I like this idea much better: http://www.portablezero.com/yaesu817.html
Apples and oranges, but those look nice.  Not real cheap, but the good stuff never is.

I don't have the pack on that site but have one similar and it makes a great grab and go station for the FT-817 !  If its setup right, it can be operated while walking !

Lamewolf

Quote from: NCGunDude on December 08, 2015, 12:58:46 PM
Yeah, I need to setup a mobile comms station, easily portable. It may not include HF, just a go station for public service events, which are 144/440 in my area. 220 would be a nice addition, since I don't have that now.

Voice isn't great with my current setup, but I've been making a lot of digital contacts.

That's why I like the FT-817, HF, 6M, 2M, 440, all modes.  Add a small laptop & interface and you got digital too.

NCGunDude

The FT's are nice radios. I went with the IC 7200 for a number reasons and have liked it. It has direct connect USB for digicomm. The small laptop I use is a Chromebook with linux installed running fldigi. I use the laptop for other things too. No more propietary hw or sw ;)

I like having my shack in a box. Being portable has it's advantages. Being ultra portable has it's own advantage.

73's and see you down the waterfall.

East Coaster

RichardSinFWTX

You got that right!  If I'm called up for a RACES mission, or even some of our bigger public service events, I can throw my station-in-a-box in the back of the truck along with whatever field gear I need and set up pretty much anywhere.  That and I like setting up in parks as well when the weather's nice.

NCGunDude

I may need to scale down. While having a built in drawer is nice, the same gear could be stored in a separate container for transport.

Without the space for the drawer, the size slims down, and the weight decrease dramatically. That's actually doable without too much difficulty converting. I see only upside in downsizing :) 73.

Lamewolf

Quote from: NCGunDude on December 08, 2015, 09:37:25 PM
The FT's are nice radios. I went with the IC 7200 for a number reasons and have liked it. It has direct connect USB for digicomm.

East Coaster

I have a real nice Yaesu FT-840 that I use at home all the time and been thinking of building a digital interface inside the radio - there's plenty of room to do it !  Or at least building a VOX activated PTT circuit and that would eliminate the need to have a separate cable to key the rig anyway.

Pirate96

Nice Looking go box! Would love to see that IC-7200 in action portable one day!

NCGunDude

I've downsized my shack to a 6U case, with no drawer. The 8U case and drawer weigh 25 lbs by themselves!

The 6U is lighter, and I'm more likely to take it with me in the field. I'm planning a camping trip at a lake less than 10 minutes from the house. Unfortunately, spring break for me and the kids isn't the same time as the wife's, so she has class that week. I'll spend the week camping and anyone who wants to join, can.

A fellow ham is going to help me setup and test a dipole I built that connects to a balun installed in the case. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out why my reception on HF is so horrible with the same antenna design installed in the attic.

I've been able to use PSK31 on 10, 20, and 40m with the current setup. Sorry for the poor quality pics.