All Weather Shelter for Field Communications

Started by STN, August 02, 2017, 12:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STN

Hello Operators.
Today we're talking about field stations, or actually the shelters we use when operating man portable or as portable field stations. Last April 2017 I participated in the radar challenge. I suffered some pretty awful conditions with snow, freezing rain, frostbite. After that, I began to realized it was time to reconcile my all-weather operating conditions.
This article discusses an all-weather shelter for amateur field communications. It shows you what I'm using now, and what I'm upgrading to in the near future.
If you've also been thinking about shelters or already have a solution, please tell me about it in the comments.
de oh8stn
http://oh8stn.org/blog/2017/07/31/all-weather-shelter-for-field-communications/

cockpitbob

I used to go backpacking in the New England states in winter.  The one thing I learned, and it seems to be a universal rule for those that winter camp, is either get the proper gear or don't do it.  Without an appropriate tent, sleeping bag, pad/mattress, boots, clothes.... it's at best miserable and risky. 

That TipiTent looks interesting, but not having a floor is disqualifier for me.  Between bugs and critters having access when not on snow, and that a high wind could get under the edges.  Ohhh, but to have all that room and a wood stove would be luxury!

RadioRay

In winter, I loved snow shelters.  It was always worth the extra time when spending a few days or more because snow is a good insulator and the walls do not flap in winter winds. 20 - something F in still air is much warmer  than you would believe. Snow shelters are  q u i e t  inside. However, portability - not so much  ha ha

de RadioRay  ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

STN

Quote from: cockpitbob on August 07, 2017, 06:18:57 PM
I used to go backpacking in the New England states in winter.  The one thing I learned, and it seems to be a universal rule for those that winter camp, is either get the proper gear or don't do it.  Without an appropriate tent, sleeping bag, pad/mattress, boots, clothes.... it's at best miserable and risky. 

That TipiTent looks interesting, but not having a floor is disqualifier for me.  Between bugs and critters having access when not on snow, and that a high wind could get under the edges.  Ohhh, but to have all that room and a wood stove would be luxury!

Totally agree!
My cold weather sleep gear is Finnish Army winter kit. The tipi has a floor and inner tent,  but they are not shown in that photo. I figure a 2.9 kilos for the whole system plus the stove make it a winner. Have to remember my conditions up here at 65 degrees north are a little different than New England, although we don't have very many nor'easters up here, winter temp can kill you.

gil

I really like my ICS (Improved Combat Shelter) from ORC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIFQrFzlUek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRKZZXCouA

Improved Combat Shelter Features:

• Versatile, Man-Portable, Shelter System for One Person
  • Consists of a Shelter Body, an Attachable Rain Fly (Provides a Waterproof Shelter and Forms a Shelter Storage Vestibule, or Functions Separately as a Hooch), Support Poles, Ground Stakes, Carry Bag, and a Field Repair Kit
  • Made from Lightweight, Durable, Ripstop Nylon with a Black Rubber Backing to Block Light from Coming In or Out (If Trying to Sleep in Daytime it is Pitch Black Inside; If its Night Time and You are Shining a Torch Inside, the Light Cannot be Seen Outside so in Theory You Aren't Detected by the Enemy)
  • Stops Infra Red Signature
  • Flame Resistant
  • Provides Protection from Rain, Wind, and Snow in Climates Ranging from Basic Cold Through Tropical Hot without Leaking or Collapsing
  • Main Body Design is Open Front with a Slight Overhang on the Flysheet to Shelter the Entrance
  • Front Entrance is Double Zipped; No-See-Um Insect Netting and a Waterproofed Panel Behind so You can have the Back Panel Open in Summer and Get Light and Extra Air in Through the Insect Mesh.
  • Back Entrance is Zippered and also Made of Ripstop Nylon; Leads to Your Porch Area when the Flysheet is Attached; Allows for Cross Ventilation
  • Flysheet has Grommets at all its Corners to Accept the Poles, so it can be Used on its Own as a Quick Shelter or Attached to the Main Body via Fastex Nylon Buckles at each Corner
  • Pegged Down with the Peg Tabs Running Along the Outer Edge for Extra Stability in High Winds; Fly has a Wide Weatherproofing Strip over the Zipper to Assure Zero Leaks and Velcro
  • Secondary Fasteners for quick egress/ingress in combat situations
  • Main Body Base is a Bath-Tub Type with a Thick Rubberized Material that Extends About 8 Inches Up the Sides of the Main Body Preventing Water or Mud from Getting In
  • Sets up like any Regular "Cross Pole" Design but Faster Since it Uses 12 Clip Connectors vs. Sleeves to Attach the Poles to the Tent Body
  • Tent dimensions 96 in (L) x 40.5 in (W) x 32.5 in (H) at its peak
  • Carrying Weight: 6.50 lbs
  • Packed Volume Approx. 17" x 5.5"
  • Pattern: Universal Camo
  • Made in the USA
  • Manufactured by: ORC Industries
Gil.

STN

I like the combat shelter's too, they just don't work in Scandinavia during winter.
I enjoyed that second video you woke up showing the shelter and we hear the sound of a sheep in the background. So now we know how you stayed warm over the cold Pyrenees night 😃

RadioRay

Bwaaaaaaaa hahahhahhaa !!!!!!

I am simply going to keep my mouth shut on this thread  :o
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

QuoteSo now we know how you stayed warm over the cold Pyrenees night.

What happens in the Pyrenees stays in the Pyrenees  :o ;D

Gil.