Rock-Mite 40M (7030)

Started by Joe, April 16, 2013, 02:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Just placed my order for a Rock-Mite 40M (7030). I was tossed between the 20M or the 40M, I went with the 40M first and will get the 20M after I finish my builds. I also ordered the dummy load/power meter from Hendricks, It has been some time since I have soldered components so I figured I would start with this to get my truck driver hands and toe thumbs use to handling small parts again. Then move on to the Rock-Mite.

I plan on getting the EFT-10/20/40 trail friendly antenna, and a KK1 straight key kit from American Morse. I am not sure if I want/need a tuner or not. If I do get one I have it down to the EFHW tunner kit from Better QRP or the SOTA tunner from Hendricks.

I think this will make a good set up, but not sure. This is my jump into this side of radio coms. I have been practicing and re-learning code. It has been 15-20 years since I have used it.

I will post picks of the builds as I go.

Thanks
Joe

gil

QuoteI plan on getting the EFT-10/20/40 trail friendly antenna, and a KK1 straight key kit from American Morse

Excellent choices!

Gil.

cockpitbob

I think you'll like the 40 more.  The wire is longer than for 20M but 20M gets real quiet when the sun goes down.
If you get the most-excellent EFT-10/20/40 you won't need a tuner.  You'll only need a tuner if you want to use a different length of wire, and there's no reason for that.  The Betterqrp and SOTA tuners are essentially the same thing.  They only differ in how the detect the mismatch to light the LED(transformer coupler vs. resistor bridge). 

Joe

Just received an email from Small Wonder Labs. The Rockmite is on its way. :) Can't wait to get started.

Joe

Recieved a nice little envelope today.  :) Will post pics of the build as I go. Right now I have a crazy idea for a case and battery supply, I am working on that to see if it will work or not.

gil

QuoteRecieved a nice little envelope today.   Will post pics of the build as I go. Right now I have a crazy idea for a case and battery supply, I am working on that to see if it will work or not.

Excellent Joe! Keep us posted, and take photos!

Gil.

Joe

This is what you get in the Rock-Mite 40M kit. Comes with basic instructions, you will need to go to small wonder labs and download a suplament.

Joe

I also ordered the connector kit.

gil

So, what's the original enclosure?

Gil.

Joe

The original enclosure will be a modified Bendix King radio case. I have 4 up and running BK's with clam shells and rechargable batteries. 3 are EPH models and 1 is a LPH series. I have 1 that is FUBAR and have it around for spare parts. I am going to take the case and modify it to house the RockMite. The main reason for this is to use the battery packs from the BK. I will still instal the stock DC connector. But this way the battery pack will have a easy way to connect to the radio, and the RockMite will share the same packs as the BK's to cut down on gear needed to pack for .

gil

Nice, pretty original...

Gil.

Joe

I am removing about 1" of length from the radio. The biggest reason is the case has a crack. I am going to instal and hard wire the speaker that comes with the BK. On the top of the radio it has 3 toggle switches, I am going to use these, one will be a on/off, one speaker or phones, and the last will be the trans/rec. I will remount the green LED in the PRI spot for a trans/rec light. It will be on when I am in the transmit mode. The volume knob will mount in the antenna hole. The key and phone connectors will be in SQ and VOL spot. I am going to fill in the channel knob area and place the red LED there. I will use this as a battery indicator.

On the side of the radio where the PTT botton was I will instal the BNC and DC power connector. I will instal a new gasket kit, to keep everything dry. This may seem a little extream or over kill for a RockMite. But its something different.

73 Joe

Joe

Got some time and installed all the resistors today. I have been using direction I printed from http://www.hcra.org/files/Rockmite-build-manual-a.pdf. They are easy to follow and have boxes to check off as you go. This is good for first time or rusty builders like myself.

cockpitbob

Good stuff.  Keep the posts and pictures coming Joe!  I especially can't wait to see the installation into the cannibalized case.

KK0G

Cool project. A Rockmite is on my list of projects to do.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G