Learning From Current Events - or not?

Started by RadioRay, November 11, 2012, 05:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

It never ceases to amaze me, the reactions of people to the idea of prepping.  I was wading through a media-hyped Prepper story on Yahoo (I know - whyyyy bother???) and the number of dolts who criticise having basic preps like water, food and firearms, in light of the ongoing tragedy in Nj/Ny is simply amazing.   It broke down into a few catagories:

How stupid - what if a giant meteor came down on your house, how would this help?

How stupid - what are the odds of your ever needing water and food?

How stupid - I'll come there with my "gun" and kill you and take your food.

How stupid - the government will come there with black helicopers and take your food.

How smart - I need to do more of that.

New Jersey and New York are still in the news, with all that entails and this is the general response?  It simply amazes me how ignorant people can be.  A disaster might just be a 'correction' in the gene pool.

Your Thoughts?

de RadioRay ..._ ._

Ps. Somewhere, there's a cow looking at the pasture gate -vs- the door to the slaughter house and wondering . . .
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

raybiker73

My thoughts are that I will continue doing what I already do: keep on prepping, keep on learning, and most importantly, keep my mouth shut about it. Yes, I agree that the media consensus is that preppers are the new tinfoil hatters, and always good for a laugh or a "weird news" story, but it doesn't make any difference.

If people recognize you as a prepper and think you're wise, or people recognize you as a prepper and think you're Cuckoo For Cocoa Puffs, the effect is still the same: people recognize you as a prepper, and if/when TSHTF, guess who will first come to mind to run to/beg from/overpower and take from?

As I've said before, almost nobody I know, including the vast majority of my relatives, know that I'm a prepper, and that's perfectly fine with me. There's a guy up the valley from here who is a big-time "known" prepper, always wearing his cammies and talking about his supplies and driving around in the Nissan pickup that he painted olive drab with a B&D Power Painter. Good, I'm GLAD he's here. If the shizzle starts to sizzle, the herd will immediately move on him... and pass me by.

I've never understood those people who want to be on "Doomsday Preppers" or whatever. Why not just put a neon sign in front of your house? And remember, we are nothing if not a nation of extremes, of black and white and darned little gray. By crafting the media narrative to show that hardcore prepping is idiotic, the degree of intensity goes in one ear and out the other, and the message becomes "all preparedness is idiotic." I don't even think that that part of it is any kind of government control conspiracy. I think it's just the A/B binary reaction of the zombies who watch television.

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on November 11, 2012, 05:11:47 PMA disaster might just be a 'correction' in the gene pool.

Your Thoughts?
Occam's Razor. Don't discount that you may have just hit the nail on the head.*
8)

* Yes; that's going to seem very callous. Tough.

gil

QuoteA disaster might just be a 'correction' in the gene pool.

I also came to the conclusion that it the long term, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
That said, I certainly do not want a disaster to happen!

Gil.

Sunflower

I have some regret in letting some folks know about our supplies - no one knows about all of it, but parts. Most of the folks that know, are also preppers and we exchange information. There are some however, how are not as well prepped or eager to sacrafice in some areas and have even commented to me about "bartering" my supplies with them or others. The last time one friend said that for the second time, I nicely indicated that I could not plan on that as the supplies were eartagged for our large tribe (about 30 relatives and love ones).

With my friends granddaughter, about age 22, needed to earn some money, I welcomed her in to clean up the home. In less than 4 hours she did wonders, including moving some preps to the pantry. Well, she too commented on the FOOD. She thought it was a lot. I told her that my family and relatives were large in number and that they planned to escape earthquake issues or other emergencies by coming to our place. As it turned out the gal was a thief and stole several hundred dollars of my half dollar rolls. My mistake for leaving where she would have to deal with them.

Long story short, up until June/July I spent a fair amount of energy trying to alert others to prep. Then I had a dream or open vision, that it was time to stop telling others, and to start tieing up loose ends in our own preparation and SHTF related planning.

I am with many of you in that "keeping a low profile" is very wise. Frankly, I am a bit more concerned about being labeled by the Govt types, than noisy neighbors.

When the 911 EMS arrived on Halloween night, I was sort of wondering what I might say. One fire dept man commented briefly. I simply said that it was cheaper to buy my spices this way. Another neighbor caught eye of some 6 gal buckets in process of being sealed, and I simply commented that was one of my projects. Eyes rolled on each occasion.

BTW, my husband is getting stronger. Though the battle might be lost from a medical prespective with the lab results, our spiritual prespective has been richly blessed. As the quality of his life improves, such as no fever, easier breathing, the more we get out of each day that we still have together. We continue to pray and thank all of you that have.
TESS

Jim Boswell

There is nothing wrong with a bit of prepping. The other day a water main broke near our home and we were without water for 36hours. I was driving back to the house after work and my Wife called and said to pick-up some water. Stupid me, I went to the only con. store in the small town and paid $1.50 per quart of water. Learned my lesson.
I have lived through two brain tumors. Take this time to value life and the quality of time together. God Bless,  73'S  KA5SIW

Geek

Quote from: RadioRay on November 11, 2012, 05:11:47 PM
It never ceases to amaze me, the reactions of people to the idea of prepping.  I was wading through a media-hyped Prepper story on Yahoo (I know - whyyyy bother???) and the number of dolts who criticise having basic preps like water, food and firearms, in light of the ongoing tragedy in Nj/Ny is simply amazing.   It broke down into a few catagories:

How stupid - what if a giant meteor came down on your house, how would this help?

How stupid - what are the odds of your ever needing water and food?

How stupid - I'll come there with my "gun" and kill you and take your food.

How stupid - the government will come there with black helicopers and take your food.

How smart - I need to do more of that.

New Jersey and New York are still in the news, with all that entails and this is the general response?  It simply amazes me how ignorant people can be.  A disaster might just be a 'correction' in the gene pool.

Your Thoughts?

de RadioRay ..._ ._

Ps. Somewhere, there's a cow looking at the pasture gate -vs- the door to the slaughter house and wondering . . .

Last year we had Hurricane Irene and power was out for 3 days and then two months later a snow storm knocked out power for 3 days again.  I bought a generator.  When Sandy hit, I was without power for about 20 seconds.  The rest of the neighborhood was without power for 8 days.  Stores were closed.  Gas stations were closed.

Have any of my neighbors gotten a generator since Sandy?  Not a single one! 

Only about 1% of the US population does any prepping whatsoever.  People obviously can't get their heads around low probability events.

Gramaton550

This is an awesome thread because I though I was crazy, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who had had experience with the unprepared. I tell people ideas on how to get started, and they're like ?no I'll just come to your house?, and I in turn tell them don't bother because I'm not preparing to take care of you in the way you think. They just get this surprised look on there face like what? and I'm like yea don't come to me when I'm standing here telling you what you need to do!!!!!! It boggles my mind, and sadly those will be some of the first casualties.

whoppo

We don't really share our preparedness details with anyone.
Our plans take immediate family into consideration (grown kids, grandkids, two elderly parents and ourselves), but even they don't know the details. They just know how to communicate with us with or without commercial infrastructure.

White Tiger

The closet collectivists are my concern - those who believe we Preppers are "dumb" and offer us up for ridicule - would be the first ones to target our storage for confiscation - for the greater good...once all there stores are gone...

And the government won't be protecting those of who planned ahead - history shows there are always more unprepared than those who prepare. Guess where the big government will direct their "assistance" when the time comes?

Lends new credence to understanding where you draw your "line in the sand" - and the meaning of "keep your powder dry"
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

KC9TNH

Interesting coordinated approach. Wonder if this was a denial in support of some other effort. At any rate, it seems to have been well-executed.

Kalifornia, was that the last paradise, or Don Henley's "Last Resort"...?
8)

Geek

Quote from: whoppo on April 02, 2013, 03:49:22 PM
We don't really share our preparedness details with anyone.
Our plans take immediate family into consideration (grown kids, grandkids, two elderly parents and ourselves), but even they don't know the details. They just know how to communicate with us with or without commercial infrastructure.
I am not sure what you mean by "share our preparedness details".  My plans also include extended family and the only prepping being done is by my adult son and myself.  We are prepping for the larger group and their knowledge is pretty much "if disaster strikes go to Geek's place".  As far as communications, I am new to Ham radio and getting other family members on it is a work in progress.  If my son get his license, which he is studying for, the next step is to convince a couple more distant relatives to get theirs as well.