Latest winter storm - everyone ok?

Started by White Tiger, January 21, 2013, 05:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Tiger

Just had a thought to see if everyone had made preparations for the latest winter storm? Have a friend in Minnesota who advised that the temp + windchill would be hovering around -45 below tonight - this is serious!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

cockpitbob

The ground is bare here in NE Mass, but we will get 6"-1' tonight.  I'm hoping for more since my boys haven't been sledding in almost 2 years.

Yesterday everyone was in the grocery stores, but they were cleaning out the beer and chips isles in preperation for the Patriots game.

KC9TNH

Yep, just glad the FYBO QRP event isn't till February.
I have a balmy -1 right now with about -20 w/c.
Hell, after the first -10 ya gotta have the same clothes on anyway.
Tonight, yeah, same as MN.  Just talked HF to a guy up north of Twin Cities and same stuff.

Play radio, clean the daughter's AR, read; familiar drill.

deanathpc

Nothing here in western ny. By all rights we should have a foot or more of snow with everything forecasted.  But they were wring. Just a dusting today. Temps... Down to 13 now. Wind chill I'll have to look up.

White Tiger

Quote from: cockpitbob on January 21, 2013, 05:14:32 PM
The ground is bare here in NE Mass, but we will get 6"-1' tonight.  I'm hoping for more since my boys haven't been sledding in almost 2 years.

Yesterday everyone was in the grocery stores, but they were cleaning out the beer and chips isles in preperation for the Patriots game.

Hope you stocked-up BEFORE the game (and hopefully all those tears didn't ruin your beers...)!

...I haven't seen 6" to 12" of snowfall - all at once - in about 20 years!

Quote from: KC9TNH on January 21, 2013, 05:30:16 PM
Yep, just glad the FYBO QRP event isn't till February.
I have a balmy -1 right now with about -20 w/c.
Hell, after the first -10 ya gotta have the same clothes on anyway.
Tonight, yeah, same as MN.  Just talked HF to a guy up north of Twin Cities and same stuff.

Play radio, clean the daughter's AR, read; familiar drill.

Well...whether it's -1 to -10 ...with ANY windchill...and you're already colder than I have EVER been!

Quote from: deanathpc on January 21, 2013, 09:30:33 PM
Nothing here in western ny. By all rights we should have a foot or more of snow with everything forecasted.  But they were wring. Just a dusting today. Temps... Down to 13 now. Wind chill I'll have to look up.

13 degrees is chilly - but "clear & cold" is what we kids used to call "a gyp" - especially if you're a kid...you have to wear a ski suit outside, there's no snow, and you still have to go to school!

Talk about balmy...nah, I won't tell you the temp's here...

My thoughts are with you guys...stay warm in the QTH!

KC9TNH

Quote from: White Tiger on January 22, 2013, 12:56:37 AMWell...whether it's -1 to -10 ...with ANY windchill...and you're already colder than I have EVER been!
In the Army they called it "character building."
;D

The good news is that many of the bands still seem to be in fine shape. As I may have mentioned, radio is governed by only a couple of fundamental principles:

1.  Electrons are lazy (think that through, it drives all).
2.  The sky is like jello, sometimes liquid and things comin in just stay there, other times after sufficient cooling the same things will just bounce off.  Right now I have alot of well-chilled jello.

;D

madball13

Just got a dusting last night here in eastern MA. I will be heading to northern VT for work tomorrow and windchill is expected to be -30.

Sunflower

It is about 23 outside, sunny, and low wind at the moment. Nice and cold if you ask me. I am wearing three layers of leg wear, and 4 layers on the upper body. That is the min. in the house to be half way comfortable.  I have overalls in the car to slip into for outside , should I go walking later. A hat and scarf over the head are quite helpful on days like this.

It is about 53 degrees in the home. Most mornings there has been some snow dust blewn here and there. The flakes are pretty. I woke up too late this morning to see tdoay (about 8:30 am).

The fence builder lady canceled with me today. I was pretty disappointed. Maybe she will let me join up with her at another time. I have some pasture, and miles of barbwire fence that needs attention. Well, now back to the weather.....this is the first I read of a Winter Storm in recent days.  (I was wanting to learn how to build and fix fence, hence my recent effort to volunteer).

A couple days ago, the day the young father and two sons went missing in MO, was the day I took off on a 5 mile walk. I took the dog and stayed within 30 ft of the major Hwy (Kansas 281). I also had the old cell phone on me, and friends 2-1/2 miles were expecting me. I could not get the 4 wheeler to start, the bike is down also, so I thought of Jack and gave it a shot.

Some people think winter walks are crazy, and without enough planning I can see that. I am considering on rigging a unit for my dog to wear during our walks. There were a few shelters to duck into along the way (washways that could flood during flash floods).

I have been given cache more and more thought these days. It would be nice to hike out on the place and not have to drag everything out with me for any "emergency/urgency" that might develop weather wise. I try to pay attention to the dog, and honor his instinct at times.  The dog is a Great Pyrenese - a great find from the Human Society. He has heart troubles with heart worm, but his main troubles are due to me not remaining Alpha frequently enough. The big marshmellow runs off if I let loose of the lead.

In my bug out bucket today for the anticipated fence building, I had a variety of gear packed in it. I have related and much more at the car, but knew that I would be traveling out to the pasture in the couples pickup. I was planning to add water also.

A short hiker filter, matches, change of some clothing, gloves, metal can,  knife, and some large trash bags are some of the items I have in the covered bucket which acts as a seat also.

I am located in Osborne County, Kansas. We are technically in North Western Kansas, but more like Centeral Kansas visually from the map. My neice said that Nebraska is very cold - in the minus at night, but she is on the Iowa/South Dakota border area.

cockpitbob

Quote from: madball13 on January 22, 2013, 03:04:43 PM
Just got a dusting last night here in eastern MA. I will be heading to northern VT for work tomorrow and windchill is expected to be -30.
Yeah, pretty dissapointing here in eastern MA.  My boys haven't been sledding in nearly 2 years.  Super cold for the next few days then maybe some snow for Winter Field Day this weekend.

Jim Boswell

It was darn cold and dry near Socorro,  New Mexico. We sure could have used some snow from that last storm. I understand there was a shortage of natural gas in Socorro. There was also a statewide shortage of propane too. I got all my propane tanks filled before this last storm hit. My Wife and I are ready for much worst. If we lost electricity that would cause problems, but we are set for a week without power (if needed). Sure could use some bad weather days off work to mess with radios.
73'S  KA5SIW

White Tiger

Quote from: Sunflower on January 22, 2013, 03:30:55 PM
It is about 23 outside, sunny, and low wind at the moment. Nice and cold if you ask me. I am wearing three layers of leg wear, and 4 layers on the upper body. That is the min. in the house to be half way comfortable.  I have overalls in the car to slip into for outside , should I go walking later. A hat and scarf over the head are quite helpful on days like this.

It is about 53 degrees in the home. Most mornings there has been some snow dust blewn here and there. The flakes are pretty. I woke up too late this morning to see tdoay (about 8:30 am).

The fence builder lady canceled with me today. I was pretty disappointed. Maybe she will let me join up with her at another time. I have some pasture, and miles of barbwire fence that needs attention. Well, now back to the weather.....this is the first I read of a Winter Storm in recent days.  (I was wanting to learn how to build and fix fence, hence my recent effort to volunteer).

A couple days ago, the day the young father and two sons went missing in MO, was the day I took off on a 5 mile walk. I took the dog and stayed within 30 ft of the major Hwy (Kansas 281). I also had the old cell phone on me, and friends 2-1/2 miles were expecting me. I could not get the 4 wheeler to start, the bike is down also, so I thought of Jack and gave it a shot.

Some people think winter walks are crazy, and without enough planning I can see that. I am considering on rigging a unit for my dog to wear during our walks. There were a few shelters to duck into along the way (washways that could flood during flash floods).

I have been given cache more and more thought these days. It would be nice to hike out on the place and not have to drag everything out with me for any "emergency/urgency" that might develop weather wise. I try to pay attention to the dog, and honor his instinct at times.  The dog is a Great Pyrenese - a great find from the Human Society. He has heart troubles with heart worm, but his main troubles are due to me not remaining Alpha frequently enough. The big marshmellow runs off if I let loose of the lead.

In my bug out bucket today for the anticipated fence building, I had a variety of gear packed in it. I have related and much more at the car, but knew that I would be traveling out to the pasture in the couples pickup. I was planning to add water also.

A short hiker filter, matches, change of some clothing, gloves, metal can,  knife, and some large trash bags are some of the items I have in the covered bucket which acts as a seat also.

I am located in Osborne County, Kansas. We are technically in North Western Kansas, but more like Centeral Kansas visually from the map. My neice said that Nebraska is very cold - in the minus at night, but she is on the Iowa/South Dakota border area.

Sunflower! Glad to see you back!

I like the idea of caching some survival items along the path of your walkabout....where you are it sounds like a good plan!

By the way - is your dog unable to take heartworm medicine to eradicate these heartworms?

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Heartworm_Treatment_Recovery