So, what am I lookin at here??

Started by shaverstick, September 03, 2012, 07:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaverstick

The fire department I work for is getting rid of some old radios. In Louisville we've mad the transition to "New" technology in this case the Motorola P25 digital trunked system and our old radios are now defunct. My question is this, if the price of the radios is right (hasn't been determined yet) could they make good MURS radios? Could they be programmed to work as FRS or GRMS radios? Here's the low down on the make/model:

They're both Vertex Standard radios
VX-180v
and a
VX-354-AG7B-5

ConfederateColonel

Quote from: Trail Tree Island on September 03, 2012, 07:35:02 PM
The fire department I work for is getting rid of some old radios. In Louisville we've mad the transition to "New" technology in this case the Motorola P25 digital trunked system and our old radios are now defunct. My question is this, if the price of the radios is right (hasn't been determined yet) could they make good MURS radios? Could they be programmed to work as FRS or GRMS radios? Here's the low down on the make/model:

They're both Vertex Standard radios
VX-180v
and a
VX-354-AG7B-5

Assuming that you are asking about making something legal for "now"...

Without even looking at the model numbers, the answer is almost certainly "No, not worth it". FRS and GMRS have some very restrictive requirements, both in output power and in antenna specs. Public Service band radios don't have those restrictions, and since FRS and GMRS are NOT ham bands, you cannot modify them for those bands unless you have a license that allows you to do so. You can modify other radios to work on the ham bands, but not FRS or GMRS (or other commercial bands).

shaverstick

Thanks, I was afraid of that. What about in a post SHTF. What da ya think they'd be worth even un modified. (For clarity I'm talking after there are no laws here) I've used them in Simplex mode before when the repeaters have been down or the buildings too big and they seem to work well, but I've never tried them in simplex over distance. Any ideas?

gil

Hello Sam and welcome aboard. If you can get them for a song, why not.. One thing to consider though would be if the batteries keep a proper charge. If you have to buy new batteries, forget it..

Gil.

Paul

One suggestion I'd make is to check into the software for reprogramming those radios.  THAT can be a real PITA!
Since the local PD has just switched to the Mototrbo system, I think you will find that they may want those radios back!  :)  It can be another one of those PITA thingys with Mototrbo, as the local agency is finding out...
- Paul

Sunflower

Quote from: Paul on September 06, 2012, 08:53:02 AM
One suggestion I'd make is to check into the software for reprogramming those radios.  THAT can be a real PITA!
Since the local PD has just switched to the Mototrbo system, I think you will find that they may want those radios back!  :)  It can be another one of those PITA thingys with Mototrbo, as the local agency is finding out...
- Paul

PITA??

dtom1911

To give you any more info I would need to know more about the radios.

If they were public safety radios, the radios were mono band radios and would be unable to do both MURS (151-154 MHZ VHF range) and GMRS/FRS (~ 460 MHZ UHF range).  If the radios were operating in the 150 MHZ, VHF band then yes they can easily be programed for MURS (if they can be reprogrammed).  However two of the MURS frequencies are required to be "narrow banded" but the other three can be "wide banded." Since the agency is going to a new radio system I bet a hundred dollars it's because their old radios are not narrow band complaint. BTW you are not suppose to use more than two watts for MURS. :)
If the radios are UHF band (460 MHZ range) radios then they could be used for GMRS (if the radios can be reprogrammed). However GMRS use requires a license ($85) and you can use up to 50 watts with a GMRS license.
Clear as mud? :D

dtom1911

Sorry just noticed you listed the radios.

The VX-180v is a VHF  radio and can do the MURS frequencies.
The VX-354-AG7B-5 is a UHF radio and can do the GMRS frequencies.
Are you sure you copied the second one down correctly? Little odd they use two different radios (UHF and VHF) but not unheard of.

Paul

Sunflower + all,
Sorry, don't get by here very often so being 'late' in answering is sort of normal for me.

PITA = Pain In The 'Axe'.  There are varying degrees of PITA.  The worst is the -Royal- PITA, or RPITA.  Or, if you like, a PITA-REX.