Nagoya NA-771 antenna for Baofeng HT

Started by raybiker73, November 11, 2012, 03:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietguy

Quote from: s2man on May 08, 2013, 01:02:20 PMWally, Does this mean performance would be even poorer if the HT were used with an external mike/speaker, with no body contact to the HT?

Nice catch - yes it does, unless you use a reasonable substitute.  Setting the HT on the metal roof of a vehicle and using an external speaker/mic can improve performance.  The metal roof acts as a ground plane, like with a mag-mount antenna.

Wally

s2man

<spooky music> I look into the crystal ball.  I see a rat tail in my future... 

Can I assume a rat tail would be worthless with aforementioned mag-mount roof antenna?  Or, more important, would it be detrimental?

Quietguy

If I were using a mag-mount antenna on the roof of a vehicle, I wouldn't bother with a rat-tail.  In that case you have removed the rubber ducky from the radio and connected a coax cable however long that leads to the mag-mount antenna.  You want the counterpoise (the missing half of a dipole) to be at the junction of the feed line (coax) and the antenna.  The metal roof serves as the counterpoise to the vertical whip of the mag-mount.  Ditto if you place a mag-mount on top of your refrigerator, metal cookie baking sheet, file cabinet or whatever.

Wally

KK0G

Quote from: s2man on May 08, 2013, 08:33:47 PM
<spooky music> I look into the crystal ball.  I see a rat tail in my future... 

Can I assume a rat tail would be worthless with aforementioned mag-mount roof antenna?  Or, more important, would it be detrimental?

You would assume correct. In that case the roof is your rat tail.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Just got one! Seems to be well built. I will be posting graphs for 2m as soon as I get my antenna analyser..

Gil.

M6SWF

I've got 2 rat tails on my Baofeng. 19inches for 2m and 6.5inches for 70cm - it definitely improves both bands.

gil

The rat tail indeed shows the most improvement. I did not see any difference by changing antennas...

Gil.

Archangel320420

I don't save rat tails. I bury them with the rest of the rat's carcass.   :)

gil

;D Of course.. My grandfather used to trap muskrats. He would get money for the fur, and a few cents from the city for the tail!

Make sure you cut your tails at 19"  ;)

Gil.

CroPrepper

Quote from: raybiker73 on November 11, 2012, 03:18:13 AM
I bought a Nagoya brand NA-771 HT antenna from eBay for $7, and I'm really impressed with it. It's a flexible whip, about 15" long. I figured it would be better than the stock antenna on my little Baofeng UV-5RA, but it is REALLY better. In fact, I can now hit repeaters with the Baofeng that I can't hit with my Yaesu VX-7R. It even picks up broadcast FM pretty well, whereas the stock antenna was pretty much useless for this. If you have one of the little Chinese HT's, spend the money and pick one of these up, they're worth every penny.

Nagoya 771 for 7$? Are you sure its genuine? There are a lot of fakes around. I got the 771 too, but paid much more (got mine via baofengtech.com).
Check this out also: http://www.nagoya.com.tw/en/news-31478/%E3%80%8Elatest-updated%E3%80%8FHow-to-identify-the-genuine-and-fake-antenna.html

Jon_Garfio

I bought this Retevis antenna past month,  It runs really well.

Mira esto en eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302563853704

Enviado desde mi SM-T230 mediante Tapatalk

Sapere aude

gil

Quote from: Jon_Garfio on February 28, 2018, 11:13:52 AM
I bought this Retevis antenna past month,  It runs really well.

Mira esto en eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302563853704

Enviado desde mi SM-T230 mediante Tapatalk
Thanks, just bought one with SMA male connector...
Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk