New member from Nebraska.

Started by AC0AX, December 01, 2013, 05:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC0AX

Hello to everyone on here. Lots of great information on here. I've been a ham for about 15 years now.

John Galt

Welcome aboard!  Lots of good info here!

KK0G

welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

WA4STO

Quote from: AC0AX on December 01, 2013, 05:44:33 PM
Hello to everyone on here. Lots of great information on here. I've been a ham for about 15 years now.

Greetings from Wilber, Hal, and welcome to this motley crew, where some of us are more motley than others.

I've been licensed since 1970, and today, my efforts revolve around developing a worldwide network of like-minded friends.

I don't "do" voice modes any more and concentrate primarily around NTS(D) Pactor and Winmor/Winlink network nodes, especially for SHTF comms.

Again, welcome!

Best 73

Luck Hurder, WA4STO
http://www.qrz.com/db/wa4sto

TexasRadio

AC0AX

Thanks for the welcomes from everyone. Hello to you Luck. I've been to Wilber a few times. Right now I'm not active at all I had to sell all my gear a few years back when the XYL lost her job. I'm hoping to get back on the air real soon as I've been collecting pieces a little at a time.

WA4STO

AC0AX de WA4STO (or is that 'David City de Wilber'?) -

I spend a good deal of time on the K3UK site, where everybody and his brother wants Nebraska.

But mostly, I'm into the digital modes, particularly those (very few) that offer real error correction and exceptionally low power.  Like Pactor and Winmor.  I handle a LOT of formal message traffic and there are no errors allowed in that stuff.

Still working on getting the ham shack (or at least *A* hamshack") down in the bunker. Everything else (food, water propane and big batteries) are in place, but the shack -- and its open wire antenna feeders -- are all the way over on the other side of the house, in a breezeway.

My situation is complicated primarily because of the need for multiband use on an un-attended basis. 

I can 'fix' the situation by experimenting with an OCF dipole to see what kind of propagation I can get on the various bands, without having to manually tune the antenna system when the band switches.  The OCF purportedly doesn't need external tuning, but I wanna prove that to myself.
Most of all, though, the OCF evidently can use coax on a multiband basis, which is pretty amazing to consider...

Let me know if there's anything I can do to assist you, at least in the planning of your soon-to-be operational shack.  I  could certainly be of some value to you with regard to advice for the digital mode equipment, and antennas suitable for such.

Best 73

Luck, WA4STO

docnroz

AC0AX  de KB0EPE (Ralston, NE) ...  Welcome !
But I'm not in Ralston   ... /M  Florida  ... Sunshine  ;D ..
Setting up QRP /  CW ..While we have Wilbur's attention ..  "Luck"   ;) ;D   --  Been 25 yrs since I fiddled with digital -- Navy MARS ...  Your suggestions for  what can be done with digital ( modes/programs ) ..  using QRP  &  solar/battery powered equipment ???  AND -- Where does an old guy start the learning curve ??  :-\

Thanks - Sincerely - for advice !! ...   ..  Oh  yes -- Happy New Year !    ( Is that an oxymoron on this site ??   ;)  )

Doc

Joe

WA4STO

Quote from: docnroz on December 30, 2013, 10:36:20 PM
--  Been 25 yrs since I fiddled with digital -- Navy MARS ... 
Yup; I was Navy MARS as well.  I was training officer in Virginia but that was back in the late 70s

>>>>Your suggestions for  what can be done with digital ( modes/programs ) ..  using QRP  &  solar/battery powered equipment ??? 

More than happy to Elmer you, Doc.  This is a great place to learn about digital modes, as so many of us here understand the value of error-corrected message traffic.  Ask any questions you like. 

By the way, when you get back to Ralston, Nebraska is desperately in need of more CW and digital traffic handlers.  Maybe we can use the time between now and then to get you up to speed.  Sound like a plan?

>>>>AND -- Where does an old guy start the learning curve ??  :-\

The first step is to determine what you wish to accomplish.  In my case, I use message traffic to hone my skills, particularly with regard to propagation.  If I accept a hundred pieces of traffic, and I can't get one of them relayed (or delivered) I take that as a personal slap.

Best 73

Luck, WA4STO
Stuck in the cornfields of Wilber Nebraska

extra_class_ham

Quote from: AC0AX on December 01, 2013, 05:44:33 PM

Cool call, looks like "A COAX"  ;D