Any guitar players here?

Started by gil, June 28, 2013, 10:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Here is my new stress relief tool...

Gil.

Geek

I thought you weren't supposed to play music on amateur radio.   ;D

My son plays base guitar.  Is that close enough?

KC9TNH

Nice Gil.

Don't actually own one currently; at one time the spare BR looked like a store. Back in the day primary work tools were a '62 Strat through (switched) Twin Reverb or a Marshal half-stack depending on sound desired. A Washburn acoustic took care of that things; like radios or guns, that one I wish I had back, sounded as good as any Martin D-series.  For small rooms the Strat and a little Princeton Reverb took care of everything. Small rooms being any little dive just outside of town where you don't work the mic close unless you want to get bit.

Nice LPJ; Glenn Frey would approve.  8)
Is that an old Ampeg behind it?

WA4STO

Glenn Frey indeed.

I often think of Joe Walsh, WB6ACU.

Wasn't the guitar that he'd had signed by each member of the Eagles and auctioned off at ARRL HQ, a Strat?

Luck, WA4STO

gil

Hello, the amp is a B52, 50W all tubes... I have to stop myself from robbing those two 6L6s for a CW transmitter! Anyway, it's too loud for home, and I'm not good enough to play anywhere else! So, I will be getting a little Blackstar HT-1R 1W combo amp for practice. The solid state ones sound like crap to me..

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on June 29, 2013, 12:36:28 PM
Hello, the amp is a B52, 50W all tubes... I have to stop myself from robbing those two 6L6s for a CW transmitter! Anyway, it's too loud for home, and I'm not good enough to play anywhere else! So, I will be getting a little Blackstar HT-1R 1W combo amp for practice. The solid state ones sound like crap to me..

Gil.
Don't rob the 6L6's; warm glass is the thing.  That amp would play any club, and if mic'd, anywhere. The deal with 6L6's is, turning the pre-amp (or even the guitar) up doesn't do for the tone what happens when the final is hot and actually allowed to do its thing. That's why the smaller amps with 6V6's or the old Vox with -84's in 'em are great 'cause you can turn up the final stage without blowing the walls down. Now if you don't have neighbors... alot of early Hendrix stuff (before the official Marshal "deal") was done with a Twin Reverb full of 6L6's. What a classic tube. Very nice combo you have there.
;D

Can't recall if Walsh's auction guitar was a Strat or not. But Frey really made that slimline Les Paul profile with some nasty pickups "his sound" and has played it through all the reunion iterations too. I like 'em 'cause they're much lighter like a Strat or an SG - a real good-wood true Les Paul can be a beast over the course of 4 hours or so.

gil

Absolutely Wes! That's why I will be getting a 1W tube amp, so I get get the tone without upsetting the neighbors! The B52 sounds great at high volumes, but pretty bad at barely any volume..

Gil.

raybiker73

I'm a bass player (I currently have Ibanez and Epiphone basses), but I futz around with 6 strings once in a while. I have a Les Paul, and an older Cort acoustic with an electric pickup. Haven't played much the last few years, but I miss it.

KC9TNH

Quote from: raybiker73 on July 09, 2013, 12:28:38 AMHaven't played much the last few years, but I miss it.
Likewise. Gil's post makes me think the next electron exciter I get should be another guitar & a baby tube amp; just for my personal enjoyment. Wake-up call of DUI enforcement back in the late-80's (not a bad thing) pretty much put paid to every little dorf up here having a little roadhouse outside town & there went the live-music thing. Now people can go to the corner tavern, do karaoke, and crawl home if they need to.

Whatever it is, it'll be a Strat. The Japanese did some pretty good ones for Fender and my ex-pat Brit dealer down the road says some of the Mexican ones aren't too bad.

gil

Quotemy ex-pat Brit dealer down the road says some of the Mexican ones aren't too bad

I'll vouch for those, that was my first guitar, pretty well built.

For a small practice amp, I will be getting the Blackstar HT-1R.

Gil.

raybiker73

Quote from: KC9TNH on July 09, 2013, 06:59:42 AM
Likewise. Gil's post makes me think the next electron exciter I get should be another guitar & a baby tube amp; just for my personal enjoyment. Wake-up call of DUI enforcement back in the late-80's (not a bad thing) pretty much put paid to every little dorf up here having a little roadhouse outside town & there went the live-music thing. Now people can go to the corner tavern, do karaoke, and crawl home if they need to.

Same thing happened around here. I made money my last year or two of high school and nearly the whole way through college thumping out tunes in a variety of bars, parties, wedding receptions and what have you, but when serious DUI enforcement got REALLY serious, the live music culture around here died. Now, taverns with live music are few and far between, and the few bands you do see are either annoying hipsters playing scene music, or metal bands that just aren't any good (and I've been in a couple really good metal bands). It's a shame.

KC9TNH

Quote from: raybiker73 on July 09, 2013, 06:09:08 PMIt's a shame.
OK, here's the deep-dark covert-squirrel secret-ninja KC9TNH lowdown:

I detest karaoke like Gil maybe feels about contesters. Some people should never wear a speed-o or halter-top. Some people should not be let within 50' of a microphone. I promise you; there is not enough liquor to convince me otherwise.

gil

QuoteI detest karaoke like Gil maybe feels about contesters. Some people should never wear a speed-o or halter-top. Some people should not be let within 50' of a microphone. I promise you; there is not enough liquor to convince me otherwise.

Couldn't agree more... Same problem here, good venues are few and far between. Noise ordinances took care of the last few good ones. There are good bands around, but they have nowhere to play. That's what happens when you live in a retirement state I guess..

Well, my musical asirations don't go any further than the local open mike, and I am not there yet! First song I'll be learning in it's entirety will be "Down With the Sickness" by Disturbed. I downloaded a backing track on the Net with everything but the guitar.. Also just downloaded the Reaper recording software for Mac at http://reaper.fm.

No worries, I'm not leaving Ham radio, LOL. I actually started listening to the news at 25wpm daily on my iPod with "Ham Morse." I decode maybe one word out of five so far...

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: KC9TNH on July 09, 2013, 06:44:39 PM
OK, here's the deep-dark covert-squirrel secret-ninja KC9TNH lowdown:

I detest karaoke like Gil maybe feels about contesters. Some people should never wear a speed-o or halter-top. Some people should not be let within 50' of a microphone. I promise you; there is not enough liquor to convince me otherwise.

Hey, I resemble that remark (well except for the halter top part, I am pretty sexy in one LOL)

I would never be so rude as to cast my hideous singing upon the ears of others. I have noticed that my singing gets much better after a few beers though 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

QuoteI have noticed that my singing gets much better after a few beers though

The same way heavy-set women get thinner?  :o

Gil.