New Wonderkid on the block

Started by medic photog, March 18, 2014, 11:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

medic photog

This is tactical and medical, true story, happened today.

Worked our "A" station and got five calls back to back. Nothing too substantial, but one did have the possibility. Laceration from a chain saw. Elderly male fell on a running chainsaw, bleeding from extremity, extremity still attached. So says the dispatch. In reality it's a laceration about two inches long on his wrist, no tendon. nerve. or vessel damage noted, dress it, start a saline flush, off we go. What do I grab out of my bag? A 4 inch IZZY. First responders, local law, my driver are amazed, never saw one used before. ER staff just as amazed, no one wanted to remove it unless I was there, looked too complicated. So there you have it, first kid on the block to use an IZZY in the civilian world here, you would have thought I walked on water and shit nickles. I guess the moral of the story is IF you choose to use a more "advanced" dressing instead of plain old 4X4s and roller gauze, be ready to explain how they are used and how to remove them to your local ED. Not everyone is familiar with these things.

RichardSinFWTX

Good job!  :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gil

QuoteA 4 inch IZZY.

What the hell is that? Some explanations might shed some light on the story...  ;)

Gil.

RichardSinFWTX

Israeli pressure dressing.

They're top-notch.  You can find them on eBay and other places!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=israeli+pressure+bandage&_nkwusc=israeli+pressure+bandgae&_rdc=1

EDIT:  I found this on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2_EU1T-o-g

medic photog

Yeah, what he said.  Battle dressing works great, takes up little room, don't need to look for a dressing, gauze, tape.  Open one pack and you're good to go.

John Galt

Gotta admit that "izzy" sent me straight to google.

"izzy bandage dressing" looks useful.

"izzy bandage dress" looks a whole lot better.

Learned TWO new things!!    ;)

gil

Ah! I have one!  ;D Didn't know how it was called...

Gil.

medic photog

Sorry for not describing an IZZY in the first place.  I'm a paramedic since 1977, a long time and just take it for granted everyone knows what they are.  I do a lot of things different than most.  One of the other medics that works the opposite station from my shifts is a retired Marine Col and he "finds" combat trauma gear for us.  I keep telling my co-workers the cutting edge trauma treatment is being written in the middle east today, pay attention to military medics, we'll be doing the same thing in a year or two.  I have an "EDC bag" everyday carry, that's a quarter of the size and weight of my rigs ALS bag.  I don't take a ton of meds in on every call, just what I need.  I keep my bag, an oxygen unit and a bag valve mask on the storage net at the head of the litter.  I keep a flexible stretcher called a REEVES on the litter with an extra sheet and bath blanket for carrying patients down steps.  I'm in and out in twelve minutes or less on most calls with a fifteen minute transport time, pretty damn fast.  All my EMT partners know how to set up the cardiac monitor and apply the 12 lead cardiac electrodes so they do that in the rig while I start IVs, draw blood samples, give meds. 

RadioRay

D'oh!

I thought that you meant a 4" Israeli!

...My Bad!

de RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Ray, you have way too much free time on your hands to find all these weird, obscure pics and post them here. Maybe you should take up a hobby like ham radio or something................. ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC3AOL

Quote from: medic photog on March 18, 2014, 11:37:34 PM
This is tactical and medical, true story, happened today.

Worked our "A" station and got five calls back to back. Nothing too substantial, but one did have the possibility. Laceration from a chain saw. Elderly male fell on a running chainsaw, bleeding from extremity, extremity still attached. So says the dispatch. In reality it's a laceration about two inches long on his wrist, no tendon. nerve. or vessel damage noted, dress it, start a saline flush, off we go. What do I grab out of my bag? A 4 inch IZZY. First responders, local law, my driver are amazed, never saw one used before. ER staff just as amazed, no one wanted to remove it unless I was there, looked too complicated. So there you have it, first kid on the block to use an IZZY in the civilian world here, you would have thought I walked on water and shit nickles. I guess the moral of the story is IF you choose to use a more "advanced" dressing instead of plain old 4X4s and roller gauze, be ready to explain how they are used and how to remove them to your local ED. Not everyone is familiar with these things.

Wait until these get out into the civilian market...
http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/invention-awards-2014-seal-combat-wounds-15-seconds

gil

QuoteWait until these get out into the civilian market...

I bet these will work great for hemorrhoids  :o

I got these in the mail yesterday:

KK0G

Quote from: gil on April 30, 2014, 09:26:52 PM
I got these in the mail yesterday:
That's the same kit I carry in my range bag. I like the fact it's in a completely sealed package.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

madball13

Same here. That a decent kit. I've scavenged some items out of it for my blow out kit and the re-stocked it and threw it in my BOB.

KC3AOL

I took a trauma class through work and they gave each of us one of these:
http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/product/ifak/