Rock-Mite 40M (7030)

Started by Joe, April 16, 2013, 02:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Installed the capacitors except C10 and C11 they did not come in the kit  :( , they are 68 pF caps. Time to look in the junk box and I will swing by Radio Shack if I am in town tomorrow. But atleast they at located at the edge of the board so I can keep going.  :)

Joe

Finished the board minus the 2 missing caps. Now it's time to move on to the case.  ;D

Joe

For the first time builders out there this is what tools I used to build the board.

60/40 Solder .032
Desolder Braid
Small Diagnal Cutters
Small Needle Nose Pliers
Sharp Knife
Large Tweezers
Tooth Brush
Helping Hand with LED lights
Soldering Iron

KK0G

Quote from: Joe on May 05, 2013, 05:12:13 PM
For the first time builders out there this is what tools I used to build the board.

60/40 Solder .032
Desolder Braid
Small Diagnal Cutters
Small Needle Nose Pliers
Sharp Knife
Large Tweezers
Tooth Brush
Helping Hand with LED lights
Soldering Iron

Joe has a good point, don't let lack of tools keep you from building, these are all pretty basic tools and if you're a real bargain hunter you could probably get all the above for about $20.

One more basic tool that can be invaluable is a basic DMM (Digital Multi Meter). A few months ago Harbor Freight had a sidewalk sale that included DMM's for $2!! Although I already own several nice meters including a Fluke, at 2 bucks a pop I bought 10 of them. I sold half of them at a hamfest which paid for the other half.

So get off your butt, get a kit, get a few tools, learn code and have a blast. Most QRP kits are freaking dirt cheap in comparison to commercial rigs from Yacomwood but don't let their low price and simplicity fool you, they're capable of serious communications.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Joe

I have the BK case chopped and back together, the RockMite board fitted to the back panel. As soon as the weather turns back to normal I can weld the frame up and put the base coat of paint on the case and assemble it. You can see the base coat color in the photo.

RadioRay

Oh now -THIS is going to be COOL!  Slide ON/OFF batteries, rugged case and for fun, you can tell people that you have an HF HT!!!  ha ha

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Now you need a 40' rubber ducky  :o

Gil.

Joe

Quote from: gil on May 06, 2013, 08:37:50 PM
Now you need a 40' rubber ducky  :o

Gil.

I was thinking If I put on my proximity suit, and wrap about 35' around my body with a 20' tail, I think I would only need about a 5' rubber ducky.  ;) I AM CW MAN  8)

RadioRay

Gee - pedestrian mobile and you will BE your own counterpoise!

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Joe

Decided to take a day off and have a little fun with this thing. I got the frame welded up, and base coat of paint on the case. Mounted the controls and ran the wires. Still have to wire the power supply with on/off switch, the external speaker and speaker switch.

Joe

RadioRay

Wow!

Joe - THAT is really looking great!  It has to be the most robustly built RockMites that anyone is going to see.  Looking forward to your continuing project and your contacts on the air.

>RadioRay ..._ ._

gil

Joe, we can try a RM-to-RM contact if you'd like..?

Gil.

Joe

Quote from: gil on May 19, 2013, 09:40:47 PM
Joe, we can try a RM-to-RM contact if you'd like..?

Gil.

That would be great Gil. I don't know when I will get it finished. But when its up and running we can set up a contact.

Joe