Digital Scanner

Started by Frosty, September 11, 2012, 09:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frosty

Anyone have any experience / opinions on either the Uniden BCD396XT or GRE PSR-500 digital trunking scanners?  Have been wanting a digital/APCO-25 scanner for years, and the price is finally down to a tolerable amount so thinking of investing in one or the other shortly.  Think I have it narrowed down to these two models.  Been reading the reviews and comparisons - but no experience with digital scanning so not really sure what features I'd want anyway.  The Uniden seems more sturdy physically, and leaning that way since I've been happy with my SportCat for 10 years. 

Looking at the ARC programming software, and a Radio Reference subscription, so would appreciate any options on those too.  Actually, any thoughts on digital scanning would be welcome.  Thanks.

White Tiger

I know it's been awhile since you posted this Frosty, buto I just found it...did you find what you were looking for? If not, have you heard anything about the Uniden HomePatrol?

http://www.uniden.com/scanners/icat/scanners_b2c/
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

Frosty

Thanks for the link WT.  I think I decided on Uniden BCD396XT handheld, wanted a handheld and I like it's features over the PSR-500 (the "close call" feature mainly).  Only problem now is justifying the cost, the only time I turn on my SportCat analog now is on holiday weekends or during local events of interest.   It's definitely a prep purchase that won't get much use otherwise after the immediate gee-whiz effect wears off.   Comes down to the choice of expanding my current capability versus more depth in other areas.   That's why I was hoping someone here might talk me into, or out of, it.  Take care.