Howdy from Washington State

Started by Tubeguy, April 28, 2013, 02:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubeguy

I had lunch with a good friend Thursday and he suggested I take a look at the site. I was surprised to see some familiar names from other places. I've been licensed about 38 years and love A1 transmissions. I restore old tube radios and my garage if full of them in various stages of repair. There's nothing like the glow of a tube radio with the lights out. Just built a power supply for my 1926 Crosley. Funny they didn't have AC powered radios back in those days.  :) Anyhow, it's nice to be here and I look forward to chatting.

Andy

underhill

Hi from So Calif

Welcome, I know that guy, had coffee with him down here before. 

I haven't had the opportunity to work on a tube rig myself, mine have all been solid state.  I recall that my dad had an old crosley receiver in his garage, didn't have the case, just the guts mounted in a homemade pressboard facing (probably to keep curious fingers -mine- off the purdy glow), but ran fine.

Struggling with the A1emissions mode at the moment, but it' ll come, especially if I'd just relax and go with it I suppose.

anyway, welcome to the forum.  Nice to see ya here  :)

Allan

Tubeguy

Hi Allan,

No worries on the cw. Just keep at it and it will come back. I think W is working on his too. I have a lot of 6's in the log so if you want to give it a go with some slow stuff let me know.

Andy

Quietguy

Hey Andy, great to see you here.  I'm back to re-learning code; I'm way overdue for getting it done.  This forum has provided some incentive to get started again, so hopefully it will happen soon.

Welcome to the forum...
Wally

wildsky

Hi Andy, I'm in Seattle. My first radio, an FT-450D is on order, so I should be on the air soon!

Chris

RadioRay

Spark ForEVERRRRRRR!
Good to see you here on this forum.  This is a good group of people (though  have my doubts about the RadioRay fellow . . . )

I'd like to hear more about your tube rigs and what you do with your CW.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Quote from: Tubeguy on April 28, 2013, 02:52:31 AMThere's nothing like the glow of a tube radio with the lights out.
Warm glass heats the desk/base location in the winters up here for QRO use. Welcome Andy.
:)

wildsky: I predict you will enjoy your FT-450D VERY much. Any questions, give me a shout.  :)

Joe

Tubeguy

Well, thanks for the warm welcome. It is nice to see some old  ;) faces from other places. I will keep an eye out for that RadioRay guy....word has it that he likes to play in water!

I use my CW for commo.....I have a Shure 444 mike that has never been on the air. Code is the only way to go.....in my humble opinion.

Andy

EmptySpaces

Welcome from Louisiana!

Glad to see you joining in the fun.

Richard

KK0G

Quote from: Tubeguy linhttp://radiopreppers.com/Themes/default/images/post/thumbup.gifk=topic=434.msg3711#msg3711 date=1367307719
I use my CW for commo.....I have a Shure 444 mike that has never been on the air. Code is the only way to go.....in my humble opinion.

Andy

Thumb Up
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G