I have my Technician license, what's next?

Started by Geek, April 27, 2013, 07:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2man

Quote from: Geek on April 27, 2013, 08:47:51 PMThanks, but I spend too much time in airports to trust anything that says "Homeland Security".  :-)

Well, Geek.  The DHS page just has a link to http://publicsafetytools.info/start_nifog_info.php.  Don't you want to monitor frequencies which the, ahem, good guys will be using to protect you? :-)  Unless you really want to read all about it, I would just grab no. 6, the .xls spreadsheet with the frequencies.

Joe

Quote from: s2man on May 08, 2013, 06:56:02 PM
Quote from: Geek on April 27, 2013, 08:47:51 PMThanks, but I spend too much time in airports to trust anything that says "Homeland Security".  :-)

Well, Geek.  The DHS page just has a link to http://publicsafetytools.info/start_nifog_info.php.  Don't you want to monitor frequencies which the, ahem, good guys will be using to protect you? :-)  Unless you really want to read all about it, I would just grab no. 6, the .xls spreadsheet with the frequencies.

Quote from: Geek on May 08, 2013, 08:18:29 PM
Good point.

If you would like so you don't have to download and leave cookies. I have the hard copy that I can scan and send you. It's not copy writed material, It's set up to be duplicated and past out. When we had to switch over our system it was my responsibilty to make sure every non HT radio had a copy with it. And I have the original.  :)

Geek

I'm not paranoid, I just react to "Homeland Security" as being a part of the "People's Republic".  Just hearing the name makes me feel like "I Miss America".

KC9TNH

Quote from: Geek on May 09, 2013, 09:26:48 AM
I'm not paranoid, I just react to "Homeland Security" as being a part of the "People's Republic".  Just hearing the name makes me feel like "I Miss America".
Unintended consequences of a knee-jerk, post-event (11 Sep 2001). Don't look for them to go away; gov't monoliths are like self-filling ice-cream cones until they're completely defunded. As to the freq tables, go for it. Personally that's more stuff than I'd be capable of paying attention to in an event & keep in mind that it's an interoperability plan.

One thing I found interesting on that website is the frequency mapping tool. Lots of selectively filterable categories and one can play with the map of their (or adjoining) county and get the Lat/Lon (down to 1/10th of a sec) of pretty much any tower around.  Hmmm.

Looking at the way it's implemented it almost looks as if DHS put up a very fancy front-end to stuff that was available to Spectrum Managers from the FCC for quite awhile.

Geek

I passed the General exam this morning, so you all can get off that topic.  :-)

I've been getting a lot of help from folks and I now intend to acquire the hardware and software to get radio email going.  That should be handy during the next Sandy.

KK0G

Quote from: Geek on May 11, 2013, 11:05:41 AM

I've been getting a lot of help from folks and I now intend to acquire the hardware and software to get radio email going.  That should be handy during the next Sandy.

Good job, congratulations!!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Joe

Congratulation !!!

WA4STO

Oh, man; way to go!!

Let Dave or I know if you're in need of any further advice on getting the radio email going.  And don't get the free equipment loans available from the NTS(D) equipment bank.

Best 73

Luck, WA4STO
ARRL A1-operator, BPL Medallion holder
VUCC Satellite (all CW)
NTS(D) Digital Relay Station, Central Area
NTS(D) Target Station, CAN, TEN & NE
TCC Station ?Fox?

Geek

Dave offered me the TNC, so I need to call him for that.  Once I have that and all the other hardware bits, he said he'll walk me through the whole set up process.

KC9TNH

OUT-standing!

And THAT is a huge step-up on your path exploring whatever your PERSONAL level of readiness dictates.
Cool beans!
8)