Camping next week-end, March 28-29.

Started by gil, March 23, 2014, 03:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

I'm finally going camping again next week-end, though only for a couple days. Going to a gyrocopter meeting on an airfield.. I'll take a radio with me in case I get the opportunity to operate a bit mornings and evenings. So, I might be on the air Friday night, Saturday morning and Sunday morning. Probably not Saturday night, we'll see. I'll post times here later once I know a bit more. It will be CW on 20m, most likely. I don't expect to find trees to shoot up my end-fed, so will take my Buddistick with me.

Gil.

KK0G

Post some times and freq and I'll try to be there.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

I've only got CW 20M & 40M capability but I'll keep an ear out too.

RadioRay

I remember that Buddi-Stick on 30 m, clamped to your coffee table, INSIDE of your apartment and us having excellent comms. Looking forward to skeds from camp.

>RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

I think 30m is the lower limit for the Buddistick. I should try more on 40m maybe, but I bet not much power gets out. It sure worked well inside my house with only 2W! On 20m it's great. I am thinking of getting some alkaline batteries for the KX3 and bringing that with me.. That way I could try other bands.. Or stick with the MTR, but the KX3 would allow some AM radio listening in the tent.. I'll need to find some kind of pipe or rod to stick into the grass as a base. The counterpoise can lay on the ground. With my earphones I won't bother anyone at night, as there will be other campers nearby; another advantage of CW, it can be totally silent. My Palm paddle is also silent!

I'll post some photos of the gyros as well. They are amazing flying machines.

I also plan on doing more camping before the summer heat arrives. It's already getting in the 80s here. Unfortunately I can only free myself for a couple nights at a time these days.

Gil.

KK0G

Yes, definitely post some pics of the gyros, I for one would be very interested in seeing and learning more about them. Sounds like a good time, have fun.

As a related side note; I spoke to the CFI with the local flying club and we're planning to start my flight training in mid April............. can't wait!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G