Best CB radio for inside a jeep

Started by Mbahu, June 17, 2014, 01:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mbahu

For straight up vehicle to vehicle communication what is the best well rounded cb radio? Of course want it to have NOAA. I will be several 100 miles off road with several vehicles. We need to get a cbs before we head out.

Thanks guys and gals!

KK0G

In all honesty there's not much difference in any of them performance wise, they're all relatively cheap with similar limitations inherent in their design. My advice would be to just pick whichever one has the features you desire and fits best in the vehicle.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Rob_ma

I'll second that. Most radios are similar in performance with a difference in features offered. You will want to make sure your antenna is the strongest part of the communications package (this applies to any radio you use). If you are off roading in wooded areas then you'll need to protect the antenna from damage. I know there are limits to where you can mount an antenna on a Jeep and you'll need to keep in mind that you will need to supply it a good ground for best performance and impedance matching (SWR). Use of a mag mount is possible by mounting it on the hood.

Firestik antennas are popular and there are special mounts for Jeeps on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=firestik+jeep+antenna+mount

A lot of people like the Little Wilson mag mount:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Wilson-Magnet-Mount-Antenna/dp/B000I5NQA8

And I know a lot of off roaders who like the Midland 75-822 because it can also be easily converted into a hand held unit. This can be handy if you are out of the truck and are guiding someone through tricky terrain:
http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR

One irritation with some of the low cost mobile CBs is that when you have them hooked up to accessory power and turn off the key some will lose the last channel it was set to.  I have one in my FJ Cruiser that is doing that and it is on the "to be replaced" list. :)

Also, NOAA weather reception will not be terrific because the radio will be using an antenna tuned to CB frequencies (27 MHz) and not VHF (162 MHz).

- Rob

gil

I like my Galaxy DX979: http://radiopreppers.com/index.php/topic,5.msg5.html#msg5 because it has SSB, which I highly recommend you get, and a large S-meter. SSB (USB and LSB) are must-have modes on a CB radio.

An excellent antenna is what you want to spend money on...

Gil.

Broncus

Many radios tend to offer a WX receive ability. And it seems that many people end up not using WX ability for some reason or another. I am one of those people.

My recommendation would be to get a weather radio separate from your CB, etc. Many will do S.A.M.E which may be convenient. It will be portable and can travel with you when the Jeep is not present. My daily driver has my radios. The vehicle (4Runner) my wife drives has no radios (hopefully I'll remedy that). It is used to pull the camper. While camping I still have my WX receiver even if I don't have my other radios.

Best regards,
Fred

NF822WNY

I am a big fan of the Uniden 980SSB.  It may not be the most compact or rugged radio but the features and price point make it a great radio.  Besides the obvious advantages of utilizing SSB the weather features on this radio are great.  A full 7 NOAA weather channels with a weather alert feature, so you can be in CB mode and if there is a severe weather alert a loud tone sounds and automatically changes the WX so you can hear the announcement.  It works flawlessly and came in handy when we had some severe wind storms this past summer.  I have set this up as a base radio in the past, it is in my truck as my mobile rig, and have my go box set up with one.  At around $150 you will be happy with this radio. 

cockpitbob

Quote from: Broncus on October 12, 2017, 10:03:26 AM
Many radios tend to offer a WX receive ability. And it seems that many people end up not using WX ability for some reason or another. I am one of those people.
Cell phones is my guess. 
I'm that way.  I still have a little Radio Shack weather radio, and I used to bring it on most trips.  Now my cell phone provides me with all the Wx info I need.  But I'm glad my UV-5R and FT-60 get NOAA Wx.  If the SHTF and the cell towers are down there's a chance NOAA will still be broadcasting, or will be back on the air much sooner than the cell system.

jjay

Has anyone altered the 980SSB or other CB Radio to boost the output (100W amp) and increase the coverage into 10meter or 11 meter?

NF822WNY

I have a couple of 980SSB's but i personally have not modified them.  I heard this model finally got cracked and can be modified for expanded channels.  You can check out the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an_tCy10SGg

As far as boosting power on the unit itself, i do not believe it is part of this modification.  If you are looking for a small power boost I would suggest the RM KL203P amplifier, can be found online fairly cheap. The 980SSB runs this amp perfectly (My current mobile set up).  Pre amp is good, only down side is it is not the best on SSB due to biasing. 

Good Luck, 73's

gil

Extending the frequency range of CB radios might be a good thing for a SHTF situation, but I would strongly suggest not transmitting on those extra channels. Boosting power a bit in the radio might be all right depending on the model. The problem with CB amps is the lack of filtering. You can spatter the whole spectrum with harmonics with a CB amp, and create damaging disturbances. That would be a great way to draw attention to yourself, and the fees are in the ten-thousands of dollars...

If you want more bandwidth and power, look to amateur radio. Anyone with $15 in their pocket can study a bit and pass the exam, at least Technician and General classes. Kids in primary school do it... It's super-cheap, very easy, no excuses. Ebay is littered with cheap amateur gear, often costing no more than a new CB radio.

Gil.

cockpitbob

Quote from: gil on January 18, 2018, 08:57:17 AM
If you want more bandwidth and power, look to amateur radio. Anyone with $15 in their pocket can study a bit and pass the exam, at least Technician and General classes. Kids in primary school do it... It's super-cheap, very easy, no excuses. Ebay is littered with cheap amateur gear, often costing no more than a new CB radio.

Gil.
This^^^^
With a very simple mod (jump across 4 pads) I could wide-band my Yaesu FT-857 and (illegally) transmit on the CB band with 100W, along with all the Ham, Marine and military bands.  I haven't and won't do that, but it's comforting to know I could if TEOTWAWKI happens.

And to brag a little, my older boy got his General class ticket when he was 11 8).  He basically ground through the practice tests used that young, super absorbent brain to memorize the correct answers.  But, you do learn quite a bit when you do that.  Sadly, he hasn't been active since the hormones kicked in and girls, iPhones, etc became more interesting than talking to a bunch of grey haired geezers far away. :P

gil

LOL, those hormones are terrible, fortunately we don't get all crazy anymore now ;-)

My KX2 is unlocked. Well, except for the CB band.  I wish Elecraft would allow it. Yaesu does... Of course I would not transmit out of HAM bands either but for an extreme emergency. The reason is partially legal, but mostly because I don't want to cause interference. It's like not littering... Some people won't do it, some don't care...

Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

KA5BBC

Quote from: Mbahu on June 17, 2014, 01:35:56 PM
I will be several 100 miles off road with several vehicles.
I know that this is an older thread however it seems that one part of the original question has been overlooked..
CB radio even with a big linear amplifier, big enough to still be run for my vehicle battery, is not going to reach civilization from several hundred miles off road. They will be okay for vehicle vehicles over maybe 10 miles however that is going to be a practical limit.
As others have written it is better to get and how much a license and use more appropriate bands and modes for these distances. That is not to say that you should not also install a CB radio as a backup communication.

gil

Indeed... For those distances, on a vehicle, a long whip antenna bent from front to back for NVIS on the 40m band would be the way to go, and down to 80m at camp... CB won't do it. It will reliably do 10km, and up to 100 or more with one station being high up with a direct line of sight.

Gil.