Step In the Right Direction : Stand Alone PSK31 Transceiver.

Started by RadioRay, September 22, 2013, 06:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

I like to browse the Japanese QRP sites and this popped-up.

http://silentsystem.jp/handypsk.htm

Be sure to read their FAQ. (Link at bottom.)

5 Watt, linear amplifier kits are as inexpensive as $18 at U.S. QRP sites ...

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Cool looking rig, depending on the cost 8) . I do see something that would have to be remedied if I purchased one though; it doesn't run on 12V, it runs on 5V. Modifying it to work with a 5V voltage regulator fed from my 12V batteries probably wouldn't be very difficult.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Quietguy

Quote from: KK0G on September 22, 2013, 07:16:33 PMModifying it to work with a 5V voltage regulator fed from my 12V batteries probably wouldn't be very difficult.
How about using a car cell phone power adapter?  They say it will run from a cell phone recharging pack.

Pricing seems odd:
QuoteWe are a small company preparing for production. We will soon be
accepting orders through our web site and start shipping shortly afterward.
The price for HandyPSK is $299 (399 EURO for EU)and will be orderable through PayPal.
We will start accepting orders soon.
299 US Dollars or 399 Euros?  That looks backwards to me.

Wally

KK0G

Quote from: Quietguy on September 22, 2013, 07:23:57 PM
Quote from: KK0G on September 22, 2013, 07:16:33 PMModifying it to work with a 5V voltage regulator fed from my 12V batteries probably wouldn't be very difficult.
How about using a car cell phone power adapter?  They say it will run from a cell phone recharging pack.

That would work but the reason I don't like it is because it's another required piece of equipment that could easily be forgotten, broken, etc. It's also a single point of failure that renders the entire rig useless without it. Modify it to work on the standard 12 volts that practically all other QRP rigs operate on and problem solved.

Quote from: Quietguy on September 22, 2013, 07:23:57 PMPricing seems odd:
QuoteWe are a small company preparing for production. We will soon be
accepting orders through our web site and start shipping shortly afterward.
The price for HandyPSK is $299 (399 EURO for EU)and will be orderable through PayPal.
We will start accepting orders soon.
299 US Dollars or 399 Euros?  That looks backwards to me.

Wally

If it's $300 it's not terrible, it's not worth it to me but sounds reasonable. If it's $400 then no way! 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Interesting.. If only it produced, say 3 to 5W, that would be great. The price is a little stiff. Could be useful for emergencies though, since anyone in a party could use it if the radioman is out of commission..

Gil.

RadioRay

I can picture the main PCB in a kayaker water tight case with a mini-keyboard in the lid.  Makes it handy keeping sked with hams who are not Morse savy, but PSK-31 still works well with low signal levels. I'd probably use one of the QRPME  'tuna helper' type amplifiers for a bit ore zip.

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry