Move to 30m.

Started by gil, July 11, 2014, 12:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

In photography, it is often said that shooting with only one lens for a year makes you a better photographer. Would operating in only one band for a while make you a better radio operator? Well, I put up my PAR 30m end-fed today. Since I have only one barrel connector going through the wall right now, I had to disconnect my PAR 10/20/30. So I will be operating on 30m exclusively for a while, as an experiment. Today's chat with Ray was difficult, but we have established contact before on 30, even using 2W and a Buddistick antenna inside my house once, so we know it works. I was using my KX3 with 12W this time.

I also received my Rock-Mite 30 kit. One more reason to spend some time on 30m.

It might be a good idea indeed to spend time in a single band for a while to understand its characteristics. No two bands are alike, especially on HF. One needs to know when a particular band will be most useful. In emergency situations it might not be possible to wait patiently a couple days for conditions to be perfect. Even waiting for nightfall or daylight might be a costly decision. Hence the need to know every band well, and what better way to do so than spending all your time in a single band for a few weeks or months?

I will try to listen to 10106 as much as possible... Keep an ear open for me  ;)

Gil.

Luigi

Gil,
The 30 meter band is pretty nice. It works well day and night. There is little activity on the band. The limits on power and prohibitions against contesting make this band pleasant to use.

There is a lot of CW activity on the band. You will have a nice time there.
Luigi

KC3AOL

I think it's a good idea.  Ultimately, I would like to be able to operate in all bands and in all of the major modes. I'm thinking that the best way to get there will be to stick with a band for a while (a couple months?) before switching to a different band and continuing that process until I learn all of their idiosyncrasies (ranges, noises, antennas, atmospheric effects, etc.). Then start going through different modes. Modes might take a while longer to learn, so I'll probably stick with them longer before switching.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

KK0G

I think I've got you beat Gil; I stick with one frequency, on one band, using one mode, at one time of day, chatting with one ham. Of course that's because my nightly sked with Wes is the only ham radio I've done for months so it's probably not exactly what you had in mind. ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G