Need help with audio impedance matching.

Started by gil, June 07, 2016, 07:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

Say I have a H-250/U military handset I want to build an adapter for to use on regular amateur radio gear...

Mic impedance: 150 Ohm.
Mic output, loud whistle: 2.5mV.
Speaker impedance: 1000 to 1500 Ohm.

How do I match impedance? Audio transformer?
Do I need a mic preamp?

I would love a schematic! Thanks.

Gil.

cockpitbob

Gil, do you have Mouser or DigiKey or Radio Shack there in France?

For the speakers, a little audio impedance matching transformer will work.  They convert 8 Ohms to 1K Ohms.  You don't need an exact match.  The transformer's bandwidth is voice only (300Hz to a little over 3KHz), but that's just what you need.
Amazon has some.  Can't embed the link so here's the long form link.
http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-3-4KHz-Primary-Resistance-Rating/dp/B00R5C8NQY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41cDCALu%2BEL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=19E55JNY1XBM6TT5DKNN
Radio Shack used to sell them too, but they look out of stock everywhere.

Caveat emptor:  I'm a little weak microphones for ham radio.   
There are 2 main types of mics.  They need different electronics in the radio.
1) dynamic:  basically a loud speaker working backwards.
2) electret:  a piezo element generating charge. These need a voltage applied to them but put out 100x more signal than a dynamic.

I just did some digging and it seems some ham radios are designed for electret mics (some Icoms, at least) but it looks like most use dynamic mics.  My Yaesu MH-31 mic has a 190 Ohm impedance.  Since your mic reads 150 Ohms it's probably a dynamic mic. and the impedance should be fine.  The only way to know if you'll need an amplifier is to try it.

Rescue9

gil

Thanks guys, I'll have to give it a try!

Gil