Bitcoins, Hosting, Voluntary Subscriptions and Donations.

Started by gil, January 26, 2014, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

Bitcoin is the world's most widely used alternative currency with a total market cap of approximately $9.5 billion.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Um63OQz3bjo

I've had a Bitcoin wallet for years now but never had the opportunity to use it, either to receive or send money. Bitcoins are getting very popular though and have increased in value from $17 to more than $800 in one year! They are gaining "official" recognition, hence the increase. Whether they will remain stable and in use remains to be seen. After all, it is a virtual currency... That said I like the concept and would like to see it succeed.

Radio Preppers actually accepts Bitcoins to the following address: bc1qc5jq4dxt7359sh80lkv9v8rlsgnh322hmn6xyc

You can also install a Bitcoin wallet on your computer (http://bitcoin.org/en/), which I strongly suggest you do anyway. It makes your wallet absolutely anonymous and secure. I use Exodus Be careful about who you buy your coins from however. Better use a well established and reputable web site...

In any case, you might want to learn about this currency now, because it looks like it is here to stay and is probably the most promising one for the future, other than precious metals...

Thank you,

Gil.

gil

Hello,

I have set up a subscription option for forum members willing to help the site stay online. Subscribing is voluntary and gives you extra privileges:

• Post polls.
  • Add a poll to any topic.
  • Add a poll to a topic you created.
  • Request notification on replies.
  • Request notification on new topics.
  • Post attachments.
  • Remove your own topic.
  • Lock your own topic.
  • Move your own topic.

Your membership will also be upgraded to "Patron."

Go to Profile >> Summary >> Actions >> Paid Subscriptions.

Thank you very much.

Gil.

cockpitbob

Done!
Almost didn't cuz it sounds like I'll go from Hero Member 8) to Patron.  I've never been a Hero before ::)

gil

KK0G

I tried to pay but the PayPal link directs me to a French version - well, what I'm assuming is French since I don't read French - and I can't see how to get to a U.S. version.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

QuoteI tried to pay but the PayPal link directs me to a French version - well, what I'm assuming is French since I don't read French - and I can't see how to get to a U.S. version.

Ah darn! Thanks! I'll see if I can change the language.. Much appreciated :-)

Gil.

cockpitbob

Hey, I just noticed that my post above was my 1,001st post!

Kinda feels right; post 1,000 times on this great forum and pony-up so I'm not a free-loader 8) ;D

gil

LOL, it's unbelievable how fast it goes.. Imagine having to write them all at once! It goes to show we could all write a book!

Well, I spent some time in Paypal, and there are no settings on my side that I could find to change the language. All I do on my account is in English and my preference is indeed set to English, go figure... Bob, were you presented with an English Paypal form?

Gil.

KK0G

Well, despite my complete lack of literacy in the French language I managed to muddle through the process and I now have a one year subscription. Once I figured out where the pay with PayPal button was - actually I sort of accidentally stumbled onto it - it was back to English which I at least have a passing knowledge of.  :o  The core group of us regulars will no doubt make the effort to figure it out but it might just put some people off and they decide it's not worth the trouble. Although honestly it will probably only be us regulars subscribing anyway. Just my two cents worth.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

rah

Quote from: KK0G on November 28, 2016, 01:52:24 PM
Well, despite my complete lack of literacy in the French language I managed to muddle through the process and I now have a one year subscription. Once I figured out where the pay with PayPal button was - actually I sort of accidentally stumbled onto it - it was back to English which I at least have a passing knowledge of.  :o  The core group of us regulars will no doubt make the effort to figure it out but it might just put some people off and they decide it's not worth the trouble. Although honestly it will probably only be us regulars subscribing anyway. Just my two cents worth.
[/q
it looks like, from the French format, that regular credit card subscription is allowed.  As I have no Pay Pal account, will it work to enter just my card information?
Yaesu FT-897
LDG AT-200Pro II
Icom IC-91A

gil

QuoteWell, despite my complete lack of literacy in the French language

It's still in French!? Darn, I thought I fixed that. There should be a way to change the language...

Thanks!

Gil.

cockpitbob

Gil, I just renewed :), a few months late.  I'm always late with this kind of thing unless I'm sent a reminder ???.  If there's any way to set things for reminders when the subscription is about to expire that will help.

-Bob

gil

Thanks again Bob, it sure does! I had just received my hosting invoice. I paid the bill with Bitcoins! It hasn't registered yet because I chose to pay a very small fee; keeping an eye on it now...

Gil.

gil