Hello

Started by fastback65, September 12, 2012, 02:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastback65

Hello, My name is Rick, and I am a HAM.   It really is a kind of addiction.  I am the past President of the Central Mississippi Amateur Radio Association, I just resigned as EC for my county and I am the county RACES officer.  I am a VE and Volunteer instructor.  My wife is also an Amateur Extra, and we usually hang out on 20 meters daytime and 75 at night.

gil

Hello Rick, and welcome aboard  :)

Gil.

rah

Hello Rick, and welcome.  Please share your experience and expertise in the realm of emcom with us.
Yaesu FT-897
LDG AT-200Pro II
Icom IC-91A

Sunflower

Welcome Rick. What is meant by your wife's title description? Amateur Extra? Is that like a helper? Can she take Morse Code? Can you?

I am very very new. I only recently learned that my husband took his test for HAM many years ago. He did not pass. And my husband is smart. He was a electrician, computer guy when they were new, a mechanic, a pilot, etc. It was sort of "concerning" when I contemplated the idea that he studied and did not pass.

gil

Hello Sunflower,

The Technician test is extremely easy. He probably did not study at all. Anyone will pass by reading the book once and taking a few practice exams online. It's much easier than getting a driver's license!

Gil.

WA4STO

Gil's right, Sunflower; we purposefully make the exams extremely easy, since we WANT newcomers.

At one time, the exams were a royal pain; no "multiple guess" stuff back then.  Today, however, we've crafted the exams such that every question and  every correct answer is  available to you free of charge.

We took a LOT of guff back then for supposedly "dumbing down" the exams.  Overall, that guff has diminished -- bunches -- and we now have tons of teams who administer (used to be only the FCC could give the exams -- shudder!) the tests and we're pretty much delighted with the friendly atmospheres that you'll discover at the exam sessions.

Come on in; the water's great!

gil

Totally agreed. Technician and General exams are easy. The Extra is a step above, and it should be. I actually think that the Extra exam should include at least a 5wpm Morse test.

Gil.

Gambrinus

Quote from: gil on September 16, 2012, 02:19:17 PM
Totally agreed. Technician and General exams are easy. The Extra is a step above, and it should be. I actually think that the Extra exam should include at least a 5wpm Morse test.

Gil.

You?re probably right Gil although I?m glad it didn?t.  Code was a big reason for me not getting my license years ago, I could never get it.  I had the same issue with trying to learn accordion, but lets not go there.

But code especially for the Extra ticket is far more relevant than a lot of the technical electronics that very few people will ever use.  I?m sure that when a ham?s rig breaks he either sends it to get fixed or sells it at a hamfest to a noob prepper.

gil

Most of the extra bandwidth an Extra gets is in CW portions of the bands anyway...

Gil.

fastback65

Quote from: rah on September 13, 2012, 09:02:46 PM
Hello Rick, and welcome.  Please share your experience and expertise in the realm of emcom with us.

AS EC for our county, I arranged a Memorandum of Understanding with one of the local hospitals and the County EOC.  The MOU with the hospital called for several of the FEMA courses.  IS-100, IS-200, and IS 800.  These courses were taught to my ARES group and they were all certified to work in the hospital.  We are located in Central Mississippi and are no strangers to hurricanes and tornadoes.  I also work at State EOC, (MEMA).  I am the county RACES officer.  Our ARES members also participate in SKYWARN, both as radio operators and storm spotters.  I hope that answers your questions.

Rick

fastback65

Quote from: Sunflower on September 16, 2012, 10:30:33 AM
Welcome Rick. What is meant by your wife's title description? Amateur Extra? Is that like a helper? Can she take Morse Code? Can you?

I am very very new. I only recently learned that my husband took his test for HAM many years ago. He did not pass. And my husband is smart. He was a electrician, computer guy when they were new, a mechanic, a pilot, etc. It was sort of "concerning" when I contemplated the idea that he studied and did not pass.

The correct name for Extra class is Amateur Extra.  She does not work code and I took my test when 5wpm was required. It is not my favorite mode of Communication.  I worked as a Broadcast Engineer in Television for 18 years before I took a ham test.  I had a commercial FCC Radiotelephone First Class License, later the first and second class were all changed to General Radiotelephone, not HAM.