Czech Military RF-10 Radio.

Started by gil, January 14, 2018, 07:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caulktel

Cool find Gil. They would make a cheap 6 meter radio in the US. I didn't find anywhere on the site where it tells me what mode it operates in. I'm assuming its SSB though. It would be fun radio to take portable and operate on 50.125.

Joel
N6ALT

RadioRay

It's likely wide FM, being a low VHF band, mil set.
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Quote from: RadioRay on January 15, 2018, 06:42:37 PM
It's likely wide FM, being a low VHF band, mil set.
Definitely FM, but not sure about wide or narrow. Like Ray I'd assume wide.
Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

W5IJH-Jeff

I decided to take a chance and bought one from Coleman's. It should be here early next week. I will perform a functional check soon after unboxing. Hopefully it will be fine. I'm planning on running a 6V SLAB in it. After watching Gil's videos on military radios, I liked the durability of them. If all goes well I will buy a second. Still considering the Clansman PRC-352 as well.

gil

Let us know!

Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

W5IJH-Jeff

The battery was shot when I received the radio (no surprise) Bought a Duracell Ultra SLAB 6vdc 3.3Ah. Unsoldered the positive and negative wires to battery holder and gutted the battery box. As a note, there are 2 little C-clips holding the positive and negative terminals in place. Remove those and push the terminals up through the plastic cell holder. I just crimped and soldered on F1 spade lugs. I centered the SLAB in the battery box and used 2 pieces of foam to hold the battery in place. I carefully connected the battery lid onto the battery box and installed the unit onto the radio. It powered on and I ran through a functional check before trying to make a contact. Set frequency to 52.025MHz and made contact with a friend who was waiting. Audio was surprisingly good. Distance was about 1 mile.  I have a fondness for "Greenies" even though modern stuff is better and more compact. I've been pretty impressed with this little radio despite it's limitations and functionality. In fact, I bought a PRC-351 which will arrive next week. This should be fun!