SGC-2020 on Ebay!

Started by gil, March 12, 2014, 01:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockpitbob

I looked at them once and didn't like what I saw:  4.5lbs, 450mA current drain and the eHam reviews weren't very good.  I'd take the FT-817:  half the weight, 350mA, internal batteries, better reviews and you get 2M/70cm.  I do like the simple controls and it looks (and weighs) like it is built like a tank though.

KK0G

That didn't last long - sold.

It's a cool rig but yes it's a power and weight hog in comparison to a lot of the current offerings in it's class.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

450mAh is a lot... The 20W is nice, though there would be no difference on the receiving end between that and a KX3's 12W. The SGC-2020 shows it's age. I like the build though. I also like the Index Labs little box transceiver.. I have enough radios though.. Waiting for the new MTR, and that should be it for a while.. Well, I might get a cheap 2m rig for the house..

Here is another good find:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heathkit-HW-9-QRP-CW-Transceiver-/131136617088?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on March 12, 2014, 10:24:55 AM
............Here is another good find:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heathkit-HW-9-QRP-CW-Transceiver-/131136617088?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Gil.
I saw that one the other day. I wouldn't mind having an old HW-7/8/9 to play with but I need another QRP rig about like I need another hole in my head ;D . Still would be cool though.

Just a few days ago on eBay there was un-built HW-99 if I recall correctly. Seems the original buyer died after soldering a few components onto the main board and his family just left it all sitting in his workshop for the last 20 some odd years. It'd be a cool nostalgic build but no doubt the buyer will pay dearly for the chance to build it. Of course once built it loses it's value as an un-built Heathkit.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G